Pacific Northwest LNG Project is NOT Proceeding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Out of my pay grade for sure, but I can read and petronas own press release says world wide glut of lng makes this project not worth it.

Your totally missing my point.

I don't think I am? Environmental assessments and regulations are there for a reason. You want to play in this province you have to pay. If the profit margins are so slim that following the environmental regulations in BC are going to make or break your business then there is absolutely no way you should be allowed to even start the permit process let alone build.

Nice, we agree then.

Now we have that out of the way, then next time a project comes along that can be profitable and follow the regs, it would be nice to see people like you welcome it and the benefits it brings.

yep we agree on that. I'd even agree with you about the benefits if there were any but my standards are pretty high.

Not sure what your getting at with the people like me comment? Why not elaborate so i know where your coming from?

Haha never mind. I see your "one of those people" yourself . You joined the site tuesday have only a dozen posts, 11 in this thread alone. Feel for ya man. But it is what it is.....

quite a few - assessments? Ever been to the proposed site and looked at the juvies there? Flora Bank?
Since you dodged that question twice now, Towney - I can only assume you are not familiar with the proposed site - and the potential impacts.

Your like a Pitbull man. What are you trying to prove?

I don't take exception to valid environmental concerns, but I do take exception to seemingly knee jerk reactions, from the same ol crowd, to business being done in my home province. My point stands, if they follow the rules, we all benefit. If you disagree with that, that's fine, but there really isn't anything left to say.

I think what is left to say is that environmental assessments don't operate on what you termed "the protesters" say in the news. Anyone familiar with environmental assessments would know that. Additionally, anyone familiar with the site and the submission would understand the risks and the reasons to decline the submission. Trying to brand the assessment process as a pile of "protesters" in attempt to de-legitimatize the real risks is disingenuous and only demonstrates that persons lack of experience or perspective, IMHO...

So it was a negative environmental assessment, or they thought it wasn't a viable project economically? I'm having trouble keeping up with you guys. I was under the impression the project passed required environmental checks and Liberals gave it the green light.

http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/050/document-eng.cfm?document=115669
"I have determined that the Designated Project is likely to cause significant adverse environmental effects referred to in subsection 5(1) of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012."

The Honourable Catherine McKenna
Minister of the Environment
Date ____September 27, 2016_____

"In accordance with paragraph 52(4)(a) of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012, the Governor in Council decided that the significant adverse environmental effects that the Designated Project is likely to cause are justified in the circumstances"

The Governor in Council does what the cabinet/PM wants...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/petronas-cancels-36b-pacific-northwest-lng-project-1.3518287

"The decision to cancel the development boiled down to simple economics -- a world market awash in liquefied natural gas, which has driven down prices, making Pacific NorthWest LNG no longer financially viable, said Anuar Taib, CEO of Petronas's oil and gas production division."

Last edited:
Well, driving to work causes adverse environmental effects, as does rec fishing, as does building new housing. The list goes on.

The Governor in Council has made the call that the benefits outweigh the negatives when ongoing environmental controls are put in place. I still don't see why your pants are on fire. Does it matter that much to you what I think? I'm trying to go down the middle road here and welcome economic growth with an environmental conscience. You, well, I'm not really sure what your angle is, self sabotage?

That doesnt mean we should give-up on governance mechanisms and due diligence. Honesty and accountability never go outta fashion as far as I am concerned..

Anyway, it's been a blast, but this really isn't going anywhere. Adios Amigo. Get out and catch some fish!!

The paragraph I saw most noteworthy:

"Petronas is not the only company deciding against putting more money into this increasingly hostile investment environment. A 2015 report by the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers notes that investment in our energy sector is down by $29 billion, or 40 per cent, from 2014. Some of that was certainly due to reduced oil prices, but a 2017 CAPP report also highlights the grim fact that there are now “between 40 and 50 different policy and regulatory initiatives currently underway by provincial and federal governments in Canada that have the potential to adversely impact the industry.” When these billions are invested elsewhere, they are lost to our workers, our economy and our tax base."

The paragraph I saw most noteworthy:

"Petronas is not the only company deciding against putting more money into this increasingly hostile investment environment. A 2015 report by the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers notes that investment in our energy sector is down by $29 billion, or 40 per cent, from 2014. Some of that was certainly due to reduced oil prices, but a 2017 CAPP report also highlights the grim fact that there are now “between 40 and 50 different policy and regulatory initiatives currently underway by provincial and federal governments in Canada that have the potential to adversely impact the industry.” When these billions are invested elsewhere, they are lost to our workers, our economy and our tax base."

You would think that most adults would have the ability to understand even the basics of economics, obviously not by some views on here, never ceases to blow my mind, unreal man.

It's very simple, we have two options. We can "wait" to work or We can "get" to work. Yes someday all these green programs may take over who knows but what are people to do in the mean time nothing ?? Maybe 40 years down the line oil and gas will be a thing of the past we don't know but thats a long ways away. Let's not make our kids wait 40 years to have a job, that would suck. I've always had pride in a job I guess lots weren't raised with those values they're OK with someone else feeding them, different values I guess.

Last edited:
You would think that most adults would have the ability to understand even the basics of economics, obviously not by some views on here, never ceases to blow my mind, unreal man.
They have had the green light to build for a year but they did not. Why, because they are smart enough to see that the market is oversupplied and Qatar is coming after them for market share. Qatar, the world's biggest supplier is increasing supply by 30% in a market that has a glut.... What happened when oil was over $100/barrel and the Saudis cranked it up? Oil crashed to less than $40 and Alberta took a nosedive. Some think that miser loves company I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back