You wanted input into Salmon, well here is your opportunity!

I made the statement that consultation has to involve all user groups and not just select ones as is happening now.

This survey feels like lip service!
While targeted engagement with First Nations and Indigenous organizations, key salmon partners, and stakeholders will continue through in-person and virtual bilateral meetings, as requested or required, the Let’s Talk Pacific Salmon platform will be used in some instances to further support targeted engagement. Broader public engagement associated with various pacific salmon activities may also be conducted using this platform, in addition to other avenues (e.g. through DFO’s participation in events such as the Salute to the Sockeye).

so, what groups/ public are missing?

I signed up. You're right, it's put together like written baby pablum. It's deceptive and meant to direct the conversation. They have a spot under each question for a written response. I told them, as clearly as I could, I think DFO is responsible for the collapse through their willingness to allow the fish farms in.
They don't even mention the farms in the PSSI framework. They identify pollution as one of the causes of the collapse. Do they consider sea lice and PRV as pollutants? It's revealing how they lump the fish decline years into groups. It would be less deceptive to see a year by year listing.
To be fair, there are a lot of causes for the decline of fish stocks: Habitat loss; pollution; pressure on the use of land and sea resources, chronic over-harvesting . I agree, it's all important. They are all parts of the puzzle and need to be part of the solution BUT to outright not even mention one of the biggest causes of fish stock decline just demonstrates how disingenuous and cynical they are.
I encourage you to register and fill in the survey. The more voices, the better. They need to hear from a lot of voices. I hope they've grown some ears.
Sorry for the rant.

Back