Overnight prawn traps in Saanich Inlet

Captain Dudds

Do many of you guys leave your traps overnight in Saanich Inlet? I'm not concerned so much about the prawn yield as I am the chances of my traps being scooped up.

With so many people in the area I would think its a pretty safe place, but I'm wondering if anybody has had their traps stolen there.

Thanks

how much do you value your gear. I don't leave them and I usually stay pretty close, Yes they do go missing

hey dudds, howd you make out sunday with the traps??? get a bunch?

I would not do it, unless you put them out later in the day and pick them up at first light. Unfortunately too many thieves out there.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

We did pretty good, as far as I'm concerned anyways. One pair of traps had only about 50, and the other pair had 110, then I ate one and my girlfriend freed one, so 158 was the tally. Nice size too.

Its too bad theft is such a hazard. It only takes a couple hours to burn out there and check traps, so I could leave the traps in for a week checking them every evening and I would have enough prawns for the year. However, I don't have enough time to sit out there for 3 or 4 hours each time making it a 6 hour overall trip. So, I can either risk the traps and get my prawns, or play it safe but only get out prawning once or twice, and it will take all day.

Next time I might experiment with a less popular area and small darker floats, although then its a safety hazard I guess.

nice catch dudds, like we talked about on saturday, when i get home from camp...we need to get out and slay some hogs and drop some traps somewhere for a couple days!!!!....but just like Whole in the Water said, you should be careful out there with your traps, i am pretty sure my uncle had his traps ripped off out that way last year!!!

nice catch dudds, like we talked about on saturday, when i get home from camp...we need to get out and slay some hogs and drop some traps somewhere for a couple days!!!!....but just like Whole in the Water said, you should be careful out there with your traps, i am pretty sure my uncle had his traps ripped off out that way last year!!!

What are the prawn openings now in the inlet? Is it still one week on and the next off or so? Can somebody summarize briefly? Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

pulse openings are finished as of April 01, it's open to fish
until DFO decide otherwise.
Thanks for that, now I don't have to look it up! Cheers

My cousin was boating from sidney to mill bay last year for work and he left his prawn traps out there for almost 2 months and was checking them daily the odd time one of them was obviously checked and the prawns scooped but the traps never went missing.

My cousin was boating from sidney to mill bay last year for work and he left his prawn traps out there for almost 2 months and was checking them daily the odd time one of them was obviously checked and the prawns scooped but the traps never went missing.

Fishing daily for two months??? Where was he selling them............[V]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Fishing daily for two months??? Where was he selling them............[V]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back