Osoyoos Lake

Last year when we tried it the key was the right flasher for the light conditions while using pink hootchies with black hooks with a short leader. at Dawn a green glow flasher far out-fished everything else, but as the light increased a silver flasher with blue and green stripe would get hit as well, and once the sun was fully up the green flasher wouldn't get hit anymore. we tried lots of other flashers and found a gold/silver that worked too. The other factor for us was tipping the hootchie with half a nugget of berkely pink trout nuggets. People fishing the columbia use cured shrimp dyed pink all the time, so we tried some pink trout nuggets and it was insane for us. The first morning we tried it we had 8 double headers in a row after both flashers started getting hit and then we left with the fish still hitting as we all had our limit. We tried it again the next morning and had our limit in 30minutes. People around us were catching the odd fish but nothing close to the action we had. If a rod didn't get hit for 10 minutes we'd check and there would be no bait...re-bait and right away we'd get another hit. So the lesson we learned was that the flasher colour was critical, and that a little scent sure helped too. Maybe another hootchie or lure would have gotten more hits, but nobody around us was doing that well, so it's hard to say.

I think using bait for salmon in freshwater lakes is not legal?? The shrimp on the end of a hootchie works great but only legal in the states

You can use bait for Kokanee in most lakes with Kokanee and they are Salmon. Nothing listed in the freshwater regs about bait being banned for Salmon in freshwater. Are you referring to the use of fin fish, which is illegal in freshwater. Fin fish is used in the salt for bait and would be illegal and unnecessary for Osoyoos Lake Sockeye, but other types of bait would be allowed, unless there is a tidal reg restriction for Osoyoos Lake.

I looked at both the freshwater regs and the non- tidal salmon supplement and I can't find anything, and there is no bait ban for Osoyoos Lake in the freshwater regs. Just a mention for barbless hooks in the salmon supplement. Is there another reg that I'm not seeing?

Bait is not necessary. Pink hootchies. Short leaders. My experience is all colors of flashers are working for me. We consistently limited out very early on last year and working out the same so far this year. We had our limits of a dozen fish in the boat yesterday with many catch and non intentional releases (green horns and a busy deck of 6 guys) by 10 am or so with a relatively slow start to the bite. Today was a bit hotter fishing with limits of 8 fish by 8 am or so after wasting an hour picking up another fisherman and license. Ten minutes with rods in the water for the last two fish after the pick up at the dock of the last fisherman. Fish size is fairly small average at around 2 lbs is my guess. Did not weigh any. A couple in around 3 lbs. Hopefully the size improves as the season progresses. Fish on!!

FS

50-70 boats out from 5-10 am the last three days of this opening. This lake and Babine are the only lakes I know of that have openings, correct me if I'm wrong.

Okanagan FN Alliance test fisheries reported 1 fish caught per hour per angler, so still pretty slow. A lot of the fish are still holed up south of the border waiting for rain and cooler temperatures before they head upstream into the lake.

This is a typical looking fish, although they do get up to 5-6 pounds
dasanamy.jpg

Was on the water today for 5 hours my Bud had trouble keeping the fish on the line and we limited out going 4 out of 12. Most of the guys I know caught lots of fish so maybe not the best it has been but still lots if action

On lake today. In the water by 5. Out by 7 am. Only two licenses in the boat. Fishn not to bad.

Was it as busy as Saturday? It's a lot of fun especially with light tackle!!

I thought you were heading to china creek?

Was it as busy as Saturday? It's a lot of fun especially with light tackle!!

I thought you were heading to china creek?

The boats were steadily increasing when we were pulling out. Seemed a bit more quiet early on than other mornings. Heading to China end of the week. Will put some more socks in the freezer till then. Getting a bit better size wise.

Fished the last 2 days for sox on Osoyoos. Easy limits for 4 of us, average for us was 3-4 lbers, couple smaller, and 1 just over 6 lbs. Anywhere from 30-70 on the rigger. What a great fishery.

Hey guys
My wife has booked a place for this upcoming weekend in Osoyoos. I have been looking for a boat rental company on line who rents small tin fishing boats but can't seem to find anything but expensive cruising or tubing boats. Does anyone know of a place that rents small fishing boats? I could bring my own down riggers etc. if I had to.

Thanks
Angus

My phone still hasn't rung

Haha. Sorry capt. Still out in china. May hit it next week for one or two trips if I can. Will call you. I have a line up of fishers wanting to go out. It is your turn. I hear it has extended to Sept. 2 and is up to 4 / day.

Pm me your cell number so I got it handy.

I'm coming up from Sat to thur and will have my 6 & 8 yr old boys with me. Taking my ocean rig (18' hewes). kids are pumped as I don't often get them out on the ocean here due to the conditions but have a couple quick questions. I'll have my boat at the holiday inn right in the middle of the lake so looking at the regs it looks like its only open on the north side (ie. the side the holiday inn is on). roughly what area of the lake is fished or should I assume i'll see the mass of boats and take it from there? I saw one note on the fishery page that showed a max size restriction but when I read the fishery notice it simply says 4 per day with no mention of size....therefore, I assume there is no size restriction. maybe the size restriction was in reference to kokanee???? I'll be in a green on green hewes with a couple wild kids so if you see me give me a wave.

Back