Options on repower, or fix the old engine?

Maxpri

Hey I just wanted to ask you boys if you had any advice, I had an issue with my engine on my last trip out, it’s an old mercuiser from circa 80s or early 90s. It made a loud sound that I’m guessing is rod knock? Does anyone have someone who would work on this age of engine? Located on the lower mainland. I know I know, pod the damn thing, but my marina has a hard and fast 25 loa rule and I have a 21 monaro so that probably wouldn’t work. Thanks in advance.

Hey I just wanted to ask you boys if you had any advice, I had an issue with my engine on my last trip out, it’s an old mercuiser from circa 80s or early 90s. It made a loud sound that I’m guessing is rod knock? Does anyone have someone who would work on this age of engine? Located on the lower mainland. I know I know, pod the damn thing, but my marina has a hard and fast 25 loa rule and I have a 21 monaro so that probably wouldn’t work. Thanks in advance.
Could just need a cam and lifters. Easy fix. Fairly cheap too. Worth fixing imo

You should pull it and at least tear it down and see what it looks like inside, sounds like you spun a main or a rod bearing. If you caught it in time you may be able to salvage the crank and just machine and run oversized bearings for the mains and possibly rod bearings. The real issue will be how much metal went through the oil pump into the block and heads etc.

I would build it for you but I'm in the interior.. sounds like @noluck might be the best option.

Back