Bottom Paint Advice.

walleyes

Crew Member
So plunking away at the boat over the winter, got all the old decals off and gel coat repairs done and the hull and top are all power buffed and shined, I must say she looks good. Now comes the next step the bottom paint. It's looking like I won't be able to go back to straight gel coat on the bottom as some of it's not in the best of shape. I really don't want to keep the anti foul paint on it but looks like I have to have some sort of paint on it. I can't seem to find any definitive information on bellow the waterline paint that is not an anti fouling paint. I don't want the upkeep of anti fouling I would like to paint it and be done with it. I'm not sure I want the task of sanding completely down to gel coat either as there is a coat of dark blue paint on top of the gel coat and in between the last couple anti fouling paints. So my question is, is there a below the waterline paint that is long lasting and not anti fouling. Maybe my best bet would be to sand it down to gel coat and re spray a gel coat if I did this do I need to worry about getting it all down to gel coat or can it handle some paint under the gel coat.

Attachments

• IMG_4747.JPG
    IMG_4747.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4749.JPG
    IMG_4749.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4748.JPG
    IMG_4748.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 110
Not sure what your budget is, but if you won't be keeping it in the salt chuck
I would try and get it back to original gel coat.
The boat is not only prettier, but she holds her value better.

You’ve done a nice job buffing the top half all up so why not spend a bit more time on the bottom? I’d be inclined to use some paint remover and clean it up more before whatever coating you decide.

I think we need to know if you are mooring the boat for periods of time or not. If not, do you even need a bottom paint?

No it won't be kept in the water it will be dry stored. Like I say I'm not against I'm even for going all the way back to gel coat on the bottom but what is there has some issues, I can see where on some of the edges of the ribs the gel coat is wearing thin and doesn't look the best. I know I definetly have to do more sanding on the bottom that goes with out saying but was hoping maybe there is a paint that isn't an anti fouling that I could use.

My family thinks it would look good with a dark blue paint on the bottom to give it some colour the canvas of the boat is dark blue. Just tossing some ideas around and looking for outside ideas.

I appreciate the dialogue guys, thanks and keep it coming don't be shy to be honest please.

Can have new bottom paint done in a day, sanding and redoing the bottom and gel coat your looking into many weeks of work for what gain?if you have lots of time and money on hand then giver. Its a ton of work and man its hard on the neck and shoulders ...

No it won't be kept in the water it will be dry stored. Like I say I'm not against I'm even for going all the way back to gel coat on the bottom but what is there has some issues, I can see where on some of the edges of the ribs the gel coat is wearing thin and doesn't look the best. I know I definetly have to do more sanding on the bottom that goes with out saying but was hoping maybe there is a paint that isn't an anti fouling that I could use.

My family thinks it would look good with a dark blue paint on the bottom to give it some colour the canvas of the boat is dark blue. Just tossing some ideas around and looking for outside ideas.

I appreciate the dialogue guys, thanks and keep it coming don't be shy to be honest please.

There are paints you can use over the gelcoat, but know that regular boat paints will blister and bubble after a couple of weeks in the water. You need to seal the bottom with a good two part epoxy primer after using an epoxy filler for scratches, gouges etc. Paint the bottom with a two part epoxy paint.

You can forget about bringing it back to the original gelcoat if it was done properly,it would have been sanded so that the bottom paint would adhere.I personally don't think it's a DIY project to sand the old bottom paint off (too toxic),you should have it professionally blasted and then painted with an epoxy barrier coat.Then choose any color you like for the new finish.Some jobs are just too nasty to tackle on your own,pay to have it done right.

I agree to get it back to base then re gel coat would be something one may want to leave to the professionals, I am looking more to anti fouling by the sounds of it.

Are there differences between paints, is there a longer lasting paint than some. Suggestions please.

I agree to get it back to base then re gel coat would be something one may want to leave to the professionals, I am looking more to anti fouling by the sounds of it.

Are there differences between paints, is there a longer lasting paint than some. Suggestions please.
Maybe this product?: https://www.harbourchandler.ca/shop/maintenance-and-hardware/unavailable/
Interlux Fiberglass BottomKote 4L
Interlux-Fiberglass-BottomKote-4L.jpg

Good thoughts guys.

Only issue I have with going black bottom with black stripe is my canvas are dark blue, don't want it to be a boat of many colours. Now if ever the canvas was to be changed then absolutely, I prefer the looks of black but the canvas's are in very good shape far from needing a change out.

Any thoughts on this product.

Attachments

• IMG_4766.PNG
    IMG_4766.PNG
    536.4 KB · Views: 17
Only issue I have with going black bottom with black stripe is my canvas are dark blue
The fish dont care trust me ... mine is the same its not that bad... LOL
Get a mobile car detailer come and put a 2 inch wide blue stripe same color as your canvas at where you want the water line . Those guys are wizards when it comes to making a clean straight line . BUT tell him leave the film on so when you do paint and done (after about a hour) then peel it off and you have a perfect clean line.

Back