OPINION: Can you Listen to Music while Trolling for Salmon?

LachlanS

Can you listen to music while trolling for Salmon? I have heard mixed opinions on this from fisherman, and I am wondering who here plays music while they fish? Someone said to me that the sound waves can 'vibrate' or travel down the lines and can effect your fishing, what do you guys think?

Thanks
Lachlan

Not sure if it effects fishing? I am a head banger and love Metallica, Ozzy, Priest and new stuff Disturbed but when I am on anchor for hali or trap shack or beachey for salmon listening to another boats music and then hearing all they say cause they talk over the music sort of takes away from some of the reason I am out there. Same goes when you follow the pot smoking boat? I do think laud music effects others around you more than the fish. Can't imagine music having any significance on the fish in the Vic area when they have 500 kickers running above them all weekend.

My 2c

HM

Sorry Fishtofino

I just think there's a time and place for everything. In my shop radio is on, sometimes loud and me singing, effects no one but my ears?? Never heard anyone at the ramp, campsite or lake complaining about the silence while out for the days fishing. Cant say the same for the music boats, sound carries well and far over water as I am sure you are aware. The question was asked, do you think that playing music would hurt the fishing. I raise the point maybe we should be asking if it upsets the masses around us also fishing. How loud is the music if you worry about the fish or vibrations?? Would you argue that most fishermen/women enjoy the solitude, silence and getting away from it all while fishing. May be the biggest reason to be on the water for some who don't worry about limits, size or numbers just quiet quality time spent with the family, friends and especially our young ones while hoping for a fresh meal.

Again just me and another point of view but by reading the posts on here I think there are lots who agree. Perhaps the new member Lachlan does not know this point of view?

HM

x2 Halimark - I don't go fishing to listen to other people's music. But, then again, I tend to stay away from fishing spots with crowds. Greatest thing about our BC coast and numerous lakes and rivers is that you can always pick up and go find some solitude. I fully appreciate other's definition of unwinding is enjoying their music out on the water and they have every right to do so. I have no problem finding somewhere else to fish or cruise if I find it a bit too much.

Cheers!

Ukee

I agree with Halimark. The fish couldn't care less. The boats around you might. Not a problem if it's quiet enough.

Last edited:
I, like halimark am also a metalhead and appreciate the fact that it's not for everyone so I try to be as conciderate as I can be,but sometimes a double shot of my favorite band (Tool) is in order to lift the spirits and get the adrenaline flowing.I have a $1500 Rockford Fosgate system on board and it's there for a good reason.Cant imagine life without
good tunes! As far as if it affects fishing or not,I believe that the bass will travel down the
downrigger cable and attract fish with its vibration.As someone pointed out earlier,the sound of
dozens of trolling motors doesn't seem to put them of the bite.

Last edited:
I agree with Halimark. The fish couldn't care less. The boats around you might. Not a problem if it's quiet enough.
That was my point and i guess i should have made it clearer. I can't see how music in boats would affect the fish. I personally have my sirius radio on Classic Rock all the time at a level that can mostly be heard on my boat only. I don't like to nor do i need to fish so close to boats i can hear their music or conversations. In fact i think it calls them in!

My speakers are mounted flush in the gunnel and I'm pretty sure the hull of my boat resonates the sound into the water and it isn't the downrigger lines carrying the sound. No idea if this affects the fish or not. But I feel that the aluminum swim grid with the noisy little Mercury rattling away may be a deterrent to them... or maybe it is just my presentation of the bait.

I listen to music all the time. And if the fish don't bite I change the flavour, the tunes I mean. On small lakes and flows tunes aint cool.

gotta have tunes....

I have found that Led Zeppelin works well at Portland Point, where Enigma is best at Wya. That was back in the 80's when there were some fish worth catching; now I am 65 yo find music too distracting. I'd like to find a young crew who can run the boat & they can do whatever they want that will reel-in all the Hali's and only hand me a rod when something over 30 is on it.

Back