OPINION: Can you Listen to Music while Trolling for Salmon?

I think music would affect my ability to pontificate on "why the fishing is SlOOOW" Other crew members probably would prefer tunes!!LOL

Personally I can't stand music when I'm fishing......but during clean up, putting rods and riggers away and cruising back in I love music.....same goes with lake days, love tunes......but during fishing, not my thing. But you see a lot of silly 5h1t on the water far worse than tunes.....been at sheringham when the dude with the massive proline was setting off fireworks most of the day and even that didn't seem to affect the fishing.

GnB

Got XM Radio on my boat, 2 power amps a sub and 4 speakers. Tunes are on on all the time unless I'm in to a tyee. Then I need to focus. To each there own. Silence is golden, but rarely on my boat. I don't catch any less than most.

Got XM Radio on my boat, 2 power amps a sub and 4 speakers. Tunes are on on all the time unless I'm in to a tyee. Then I need to focus. To each there own. Silence is golden, but rarely on my boat. I don't catch any less than most.

The only sound I like while out in the boat is when the whale watching boats broadcast the whale sounds
from thier hydro phones through the vhf.

Bang on Halimark. The ignorance of people sometimes just amazes me, you really have to wonder how some were raised. It's the me only attitude of today I guess.

I do like music when fishing but like other have stated I am very aware of my surroundings and have it at an appropriate level. At times when I am out and alone miles way from any other boat it may get a little louder, not the boom, boom earth shattering sound like the boom boats but a tad load maybe. But most times it's just at a nice back ground level where one can carry on a decent conversation (even if it is with myself).

we have always listened to music while trolling and we have never had a problem . its never very loud though.

x4 on the considerate side of things. I really don't care what you like to listen to while fishing, just please don't make me listen to it with you!

Funny story along these lines though. Back in the mid 80's I had the opportunity to spend a couple of summers working on a gill netter in Dean & Burke Channels back when they had full blown (hundreds of boats) gill net fisheries for pretty much all species. Part of that program was to "run" your net at night chasing fish into the net using your spotlight. One thing I'll always remember was being amazed at how groups of Orcas could navigate the obstacle course of nets strung almost across the inlet day and night without ever even grazing a net. Via radio, we learned one genius figured out it'd be even more effective if he broadcast whale sounds through his hull while doing this. Based on the follow up conversation (via radio again, it was like the facebook of the 80's if you worked on the coast) it appears that the whales he attracted more than made up for his ability to chase more fish in is net! Cleaned him out without ever getting even a tooth caught in the net...

Sound does travel better through water than air. Of course the fish can hear it if they're shallow. The questions is, do they care?

CP

Charlie white did experiments where he stopped around, banged his hull and made all sorts of noise - didn't effect fishing. But back then there was 10x the number of fish, you'd have to be a real boob to not catch fish then.

For me it depends how good the bite is , if it's slow sometimes I have to turn the tunes down a bit to get dialed in but once the bites on the tunes are cranked !

Long spell with no bites = change the tunes,

assuming we are already doing all the other right things right!

Music is a requirement on my boat, and occasionally its loud enough for others to hear it for brief moments (maybe a single song). The selection varies by the time of day, weather, seas and current success we are having. Mostly rock (Classic and Current) and Blues (current and classic as well). 99% of the time the sound is low enough to hear the VHF in case there are any emergencies or anyone is calling.

My wife won't let me listen to country or bluegrass at home, but on the boat I can listen to both.....so l do!

Most of the time I prefer quiet. I like to be able to hear my gear if I snag something, get hung up, or pop a fish. If you're really dialed in sometimes it seems like you can anticipate a strike or at the least react quickly to a strike - thats not really possible with the tunes blaring.

We have the tunes on all the time. We find that salmon really like anything by Burton Cumming. Not trying to be funny. Has happened enough times that when the bite is slow someone will comment we need some Guess Who right now.

We troll with tunes on my boat, but not too loud. Sometimes its loud enough to jam out a bit when the blood is flowing but not loud enough that you have to raise your voice to hear your crewmate. Have to be able to hear the sounder beeping or the vhf or all hell breaking loose behind you lol.

One famous artist who passed away this year is responsible for all our nicest fish of the year... he's a regular in the playlist.

When the bite is done and waiting for the next one I will put the tunes on if I have people with me that like music. Helps to steer the conversation away from fishing which gets boring for me because 8 hours of it a day, day in and day out gets hard to take sometimes,

Back