Older Grady Hulls

el.Pereh

I have been looking at a few older grady's down south that are in need of a repower. Does anyone currently/used to own a grady that does not have the SeaV2 Hull? How does it perform?

We have a 1986 228 Grady, I have ridden on the newer hulls and I really didn't notice a big difference. That being said be careful buying an older Grady. There is a good chance that the transom or stringers are at least wet or even rotten.

I have an 89 252 Sailfish with twin 150 4 stroke yammis on it. It has been an amazing boat and have really not notice much difference in it than my newer cv2 hulls. It is a bit under powered when fully loaded with fuel and water but still gets the job done. Without the load she cruises right along.

I did have to take the pod off and redo the transome when I bought it as it was soft and rotten, stringers were all good though.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Yup the older Grady hulls are good but be weary of rot issues. Almost all the used ones before 1991 I looked at had rot somewhere. If you find one with a cutout transom you are almost guaranteed to have a wet and rotting transom.

Just a note that may also assist.......even though the Grady models switched to SeaV2 hull design during the nineties, I know that Grady White made a change to the Seafarer in 2002 to accommodate the heavier 4 stroke technology. They made at least one change, raising the scuppers that year to accomodate the increasingly popular 4 strokes. The additional approx 100lbs of the F225 4 stroke ( vs 200 2 stroke) for eg. would push scuppers below water line on pre-2002 models. I saw an older Seafarer the other day with a F250 on it and the top of the pod surface was awash at/or below the waterline which would mean even with raised scuppers they'd still be at or below waterline.
.....So be careful with adding heavy 4 stroke re-power when the older hulls were designed for lighter 2 stroke power.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend on the east coast of the US. He told me that he shakes his head when other US fishermen and Canadians buy "hurricane" boats without a survey from a reputable outfit. Its not just transoms and stringers that we have to be aware of--- some being shipped have been patched together with cheap patches after being holed. gelcoat is a good coverup apparently............

I have to agree with Cuba on that one having purchased 2 boats in the US, including my last Grady a 265 Express. I have always hired a good surveyor...check them out as not all are licensed and there are 2 standards. Older Grady's have a few known issues, such as wood transoms and stringers that are known to rot, and bad fuel tanks. Always a good idea to specifically ask the surveyor to check those out for sure. That said, I wouldn't shy away from looking at US boats...but do your due diligence in checking them out before buying.

Back