Older Evinrude 55

I ran a 50 on my boat for a couple years before it blew up.
good old motors, but far inferior to any of the newer versions.
parts #Iboats

I've had one a long time ago on a 15 ft canaventure. Trouble free for two seasons. Noisy little guy. I'd try lordship for parts. They have lots of new and used stuff

I buy parts from Crowley Marine. Easy site to maneuver through as well.

I have a 1986 30hp 2-stroke Evinrude that starts & runs as smooth as it did when I first bought it.....still close to original compression. I have it on my rebuilt & restored 1969 Starcraft aluminum. I've been looking for any excuse to get rid of it, but it's given me none. I pamper it with regular maintenance, and then run the snot out of it every year. No problem getting parts for it through Haney Marine or Lordship Marine.

We have an 88 40 hp Evinrude on the boat that lives at the cabin. Smokes profusely, rough idle, wants to stall when shifting, but it pulls like a train and is tough as nails. It's been submerged and resurrected, lived numerous winters tarped up on a sand dune. Cannot die. Those old OMC twins are hella tough.

Parts aren't too bad because they made the same powerhead and housing castings for many years. If it has power tilt and trim, be prepared for some issues, that is their one weakness. Given the relatively light weight, consider not repairing if the PTT does fail.

Yes, they are smelly, noisy and generally uncouth, but it's cheap power and you can buy a lot of gas and oil for what something newer is gonna cost you.

Back