Oil analysis

The outboard manufacturers use a lower temp t-stat than automotive because outboards often run in salt water. Hotter running engines will accumulate salt build up faster than those running a bit cooler. So you have to choose...check and change the oil more often or pull the heads and clean out the water passages to prevent hot spots and corrosion. I'd rather change the oil a few more times. Which is what I do with my kicker...when the hours aren't that many and the oil is not too dirty I will just drop the oil and get another round out of the filter.

The outboard manufacturers use a lower temp t-stat than automotive because outboards often run in salt water. Hotter running engines will accumulate salt build up faster than those running a bit cooler. So you have to choose...check and change the oil more often or pull the heads and clean out the water passages to prevent hot spots and corrosion. I'd rather change the oil a few more times. Which is what I do with my kicker...when the hours aren't that many and the oil is not too dirty I will just drop the oil and get another round out of the filter.

ya makes sense

There is some decent literature out there on “hard” break-ins vs the “manufactures recommended procedure”. I have rebuilt quite a few different motors over the years ranging from lawnmowers, dirtbikes ( 2 stroke and 4 stroke), quads, I/O marine engine, and my 600+hp 300zx TT. Every one of those engines I broke in like I stole it and they have never missed a beat. You have such a short window to properly seat the rings before it’s too late and cylinder walls are glazed. Essentially, keep the engine above idle rpm right out of the gate, once it’s warm, load the engine significantly, alerting the RPMs constantly.

That is exactly correct. I was in the engine business for 45 years. If the engine is a fresh build, heat cycle it at a little above idle up to temp and then cool down a couple times and then make 3 or 4 full power acceleration passes. You need high cylinder firing pressure to seat the rings. No need to heat cycle a dealership purchased engine, it's been test run already. Firewall the throttle a few time to ensure you don't get an oil consumer. Don't baby a new engine, if it's a grenade, grenade it when it's on warranty.

A little late to the party but my dads Honda 225 started making oil as well. Easy to Id the source as it turned red from the marked fuel. The injectors was the cause of his issues installed new ones gave the old ones a sonic bath to clean and stored away.

Back