Offshore water conditions

joe average

For offshore water conditions does everyone look at the NOAA bouy site? And is at accurate ? What is a wave height and time that is relitively calm and fishable. I will be out near Bamfield in a couple weeks just wondering the best way to check water conditions or just head out and see and if its to rough just set the gear and troll back inside.

For Bamfield check the La Perouse buoy. The links for this, weather, & swell forecasts can be found at:

http://livetosurf.com/forecasting-tools/

I like magic seaweed for forecasts.
Waves nearer shore than the La Perouse buoy will be smaller than those measured. You can expect that waves larger than those measured by the buoy will occur on occasion as the measurement is an average. Waves can sometimes combine, making the larger waves.
Them who's not afraid of the sea always gets drowned. Them who's afraid of the sea only sometimes gets drowned.

La Perouse data is helpful, but bear in mind that wave/wind conditions are often very different at various locations offshore. Several decades of working off shore I have seen quite significant changes in the water conditions even over distances as short as 5 miles. That's why La Perouse data is only an indicator in my mind when planning any offshore venture. Commonly the wave conditions in the first 3 to 5 miles are significantly larger than farther out, so sometimes if you poke out a bit further things shape up differently. Hope that helps your planning.

It can change real quick too, flat in the am then 2-3 metre swell in the afternoon, be ready to get out at any time

Intervals is key data paired with wave height. The shorter the intervals the steeper the wave. You can have huge waves with long intervals which is no problem but a short interval they will be tight and possibly standing which is a no go. Use the forecast and 24hr summary to see the wave trend to approximate what things are going to be like in the morning then check again first thing to verify.

Back