Prawning offshore lower mainland

loveOreo

Hello guys, Hope you guys have had a good season. Quick question, can I do prawning offshore anywhere near Vancouver? I live in North Delta. The reason for this question is that I have seen people catching shrimps offshore on the island, and I am wondering if I can do that here too. I don't own a boat and my fishing buddy isn't going out anytime soon, but I'd love to catch some prawns for my wife since she loves fresh seafood. Any suggestion will be much appreciated.
Hope you guys have a good winter!

Without a boat you can't travel out to where it's at least a couple hundred feet deep so No there's no way.

The technique shown in the video works but not around the Lower Mainland-too much sandy shore.

I Lived in North Vancouver for almost 20 years in the 70's and 80"s. I used to take my kids shrimping at night off of piers in North and West Vancouver. We didn't catch spot prawns but we did catch lots of coon stripe shrimp. In 1990, I moved to the south island and continued to catch shrimp with my kids..

For us it was a an activity that we did in the early evenings through fall and winter. We wouldn't start till after dark as the shrimp seemed drawn to the piers lights.

We used a bunch of dip nets made with old tire rims a and some fry traps that were like minature prawn pots.
We never tried to catch shrimp around North Delta but I would bet that any saltwater piers with lighting would be good.

There should be good shrimping off pthe white rock pier or any of the steveston piers.

I Lived in North Vancouver for almost 20 years in the 70's and 80"s. I used to take my kids shrimping at night off of piers in North and West Vancouver. We didn't catch spot prawns but we did catch lots of coon stripe shrimp. In 1990, I moved to the south island and continued to catch shrimp with my kids..

For us it was a an activity that we did in the early evenings through fall and winter. We wouldn't start till after dark as the shrimp seemed drawn to the piers lights.

We used a bunch of dip nets made with old tire rims a and some fry traps that were like minature prawn pots.
We never tried to catch shrimp around North Delta but I would bet that any saltwater piers with lighting would be good.

There should be good shrimping off pthe white rock pier or any of the steveston piers.
Thank you very much, I might try it this weekend. Depends on salmon runs. Very much appreciated.

Back