Waves/Swell height and spacing for fishing

Nugget

Good afternoon gents. Curious how some of you approach the forecasts when your headed out fishing and what your experience is in different “conditions”.

I am hoping to head 5-10 Miles offshore next week on the WCVI. If a forecast (windy.com) is calling for 1.1m wave height and 1m swell with a 7 second period, would you think twice about heading out or is this decent? I am in a 17.5ft DE.

Curious if you guys have any “parameters”/comfort when it comes to offshore.

Sounds a little sporty to me especially for that size boat. I go off wind, previous weather and current forecast and know that tide will magnify waves. I have flexibility to be picky so I’m a Light to 5-15knts only to go offshore. I won’t fight my way out to go fishing. I let my gut tell me if it’s safe or not and have zero problem turning around. Have a plan A, B, C.

that’s pushing my comfort level to be sure. i’ve been in 2m swells in a following sea coming back in 16 miles offshore in my 185 and looking behind me all i could see was water. it’s just not my idea of relaxing or a good time. if you get out early enough before the wind picks up if it’s a 1m forecast that’s usually fine. but add some good wind and it changes everyrhing

Lots to consider as some have pointed out. Tide direction and wind play a big factor. A 2m swell with a 14s spacing with light wind is fine. A 1m wave with 3 second spacing and wind/tide making it break is terrible. Be cautious. Also better to go out when conditions are forecast to improve. Not the other way around. Sometimes it blows up earlier than expected. That's a small boat for offshore.

I’d put together a backup plan to going offshore and continue to watch the forecast. That sounds fine for a low or no wind day but anything over 15kn would not be in my opinion. Not sure how reliable predications can be a week out? I think 3 days might be 50% predictable?

Last Saturday, my brother and I were looking at different apps. Mine was windy and it called for 30kn winds blowing directly into tumbo anchorage. His was another app calling for a lot less. He chose wrong and is frankly luck to have made it through the night and out of the anchorage the next morning.

I would have a strong backup plan to going offshore and use multiple wind prediction models and listen to the radio weather day of departure.

Final thoughts, who are you going with and how is the boat equipped? Getting out of trouble with 3 guys over 200lbs with a 90hp and a kicker, with a loaded boat might not be easy. 2 guys under 200hp with a 115 or 140hp but then again if you have to make these kinds of calculations…..

I would not plan your trip based on the predicted wave heights, especially one week out. Keep a close eye on the forecast and buoys offshore in the days leading up to your trip. See how the weather actually materializes and what that produces in terms of waves / water conditions. Then you've just gotta wake up and see what happens the day of, predictions are predictions. As others have said, have a plan B. Many great inshore fishing opportunities on the WCVI, so it'll be tough to be disappointed.

1m swell is not something to worry about, but 7s period is quite tight and might be uncomfortable in a smaller boat. Poke your nose to the outside and turn around if you feel uncomfortable. This is something you need to test for yourself.

Check all 5 forecasts that are available using the Windy app or website - ECMWF, HRRR, GFS, NAM and ICON. Use the "compare" feature. Learn the benefits and weaknesses of the different models. It'll give you a way better understanding of what is likely to happen.
I normally like to use ECMWF as I find very accurate and feel comfortable with it .

Thanks for the input everyone. We’ll poke our head out offshore and see how it is. I have fished Swiftsure, Rats Nose, and Celestial reef in my vessel so lots of offshore experience.

Thanks for the input everyone. We’ll poke our head out offshore and see how it is. I have fished Swiftsure, Rats Nose, and Celestial reef in my vessel so lots of offshore experience.
this is your most valuable gauge.

this is your most valuable gauge.
Sure is. I've had days where I almost didn't even try going out. Weather report sounded pretty bad, ended up going to check it out anyhow and found the conditions totally fine, despite it blowing 20+ and 2m swells. Other times, small waves are steep and close together making for miserable running and worse fishing.

There really is no substitute for knowing your limits and gauging actual conditions. From my perspective it's knowing your boat, what you're comfortable with and being aware of how the conditions relate to those limits. Two people with the same boat may have totally different ideas about what's too bad to go out in.

That being said, knowing what the rest of the day is forecast to do is absolutely critical. No better way to get in trouble than to get caught by weather that builds while you're out.

As an example of getting caught by the weather, I ran up to Triangle Island out of Winter Harbour last summer, into northwest on the way there. Was supposed to blow harder northwest in the afternoon. Should have been a beautiful smooth run home in a following sea. Ended up switching to Southeast, total opposite of the forecast. Had to do 50 miles straight into 20+ knots. Really really unpleasant. I rolled the dice on the wind direction being correct, knowing the wind speed would build in the afternoon. Got caught out there and had a rough ride home.

It's worth leaving some buffer for conditions to get worse and still be within your comfort zone. If you go out when it's marginal, so much more likely to end up in conditions you don't want to be in if things blow up a bit.

1) A week out the predictive models aren't reliable

2) Wind direction matters a lot as well as general trend off shore

3) Don't rely on a single source of data

4) As others have said have a backup plan and don't push it if it looks dicy

There have been days were wind was not high but offshore or further weather systems sent large swells vs local weather effects. Safety is key and know the general trend of the day. Eg is it supposed to get windy or is it supposed to lighten. As much as I study weather I've still had times I've gone out expecting one thing but getting the other. I do try to fish small weather windows if the week is generally windy but even then I don't have a problem going out of the harbour, seeing its no good and turning around.

Here are additional data sources I use to research weather and wave conditions; present and future:

Cdn WCVI South: https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=16200

Additionally, Lighthouse reports and Weather Definitions are on the Weather Conditions tab, bottom of the page. I look at every tab and select
the radar

Windfinder: https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/gordons-beach_sooke

VesselFinder: https://www.vesselfinder.com/ (pull map to WCVI and zoom into your region) IMHO - very valuable for current conditions

Displays all vessels transmitting AIS, including their current wind and wave conditions (click on colored vessel icons for ship data, select weather)

NOAA Ocean Prediction Center - includes weather fronts, surface winds, wave forecasts, wind & wave, and wave period & direction

https://ocean.weather.gov/Pac_tab.php

Windy note: within additional layers turn on Isolines Pressure, zoom in/out to see where the air pressure forces are located and where/how they are moving with the weather fronts.

Hopefully this is helpful. Please share additional sites and sources you find valuable. Thanks!

So much good information here.

I'm in a Malibu 182, much more boat that my old 16ft aluminum bow rider, though I realize that I'm still really in a quite small boat. But regardless, I'm also looking to venture out off Winter Harbour and other WCVI spots.

A few spots this weekend have 2-3ft swell with 5-8s period at the worst times and 14-15s period at other times, so I'm thinking for the most part I'm good as long as I'm watching the afternoon wind and consider when the tides change directions, especially over the Nahwitti Bar (that's if I decide to head that far).

It seems like there's a consistent message about watching local conditions and not relying on a single model.

But regardless, is it safe to look at it like this - if the swell period is 2x or greater than the swell height, then you're generally good? Or do I need to add the predicted wave height?

I'm looking at Windy for Grant Bay this Saturday which is at 3ft waves, 2ft swell and period of 8.7-14.8 during the day, and then switches to ~5.5 period in the late afternoon/evening. Seems like the evening conditions will be really uncomfortable and getting potentially dangerous for a small boat like mine, but the morning and midday conditions should be really comfortable.

swell x2 is 2x2=4, so if the period is >4 then I'm good, though that seems tight and likely uncomfortable, or do I look at adding the wave ht on top? 3+2=5ft. 5x2=10, so a >10s period would be a safer calculation?

Same day for Sutil is looking like 2ft waves, 2ft swell and a consistent period of ~8.5. Seems like a good day, except for considering the early afternoon ebb over the bar that's likely to combine with a 10-15knot W-NW wind.

Same math. 2+2=4, 4x2=8, so if the predicted period is consistently 8.5, then I'm probably good to go? Especially when the wind is down. A 15knot afternoon wind adding a 2ft chop on top would change things to get toward uncomfortable.

I definitely have a lot to learn, and I will definitely be taking notes on my days out as far as predicted vs actual to figure out what was like a lake, what was swelly but good, what was swelly and white knuckle, and what was no-go or wish I'd gone back earlier!

I took my old 16ft bowrider to Grant Bay once, definitely was nervous going out, but the forecast was epic and it turned out really well. I didnt catch as many fish as I'd hoped, but the weather made getting around really comfortable. Tried again the next year with a similar forecast, but when I went through the notch and turned the corner things were not as favourable, and it was tricky to turn around and make my way back without being fearful of literally every wave. Since then I'd given up on Grant Bay and anything outside Kains until I got a bigger boat. It will be another good learning this year.

A Ukee guide told me of some unpredicted SE storms appearing out of nowhere when he was hali fishing in his wcvi north years. 2 hours to go 12 miles home with breakers over the roof. Forecasts were wrong.
His point was that wcvi south tends to build steadily but up north can be less predictable.
I was at big bank in a 17' foot BW last week. Swell under 1m and wind under 5.
I would not run to the highway in my boat if fishing the northern spots, regardless of forecast. I don't have a roof.

I don't go offshore in my boat. I may poke my nose out and fish close to land but that's it.

It isn't worth it. My boat is malibu 185 and with hull extension pod it's 21ft. It can do it but rather not take risk.

17ft boat offshore is very sketch especially those not running radar. That weather turns you can be in big trouble.

The scariest water I have ever been in was running from the head of Rivers Inlet to Dawson's last year in early August.
Hot day big thermal inflow against the ebb.
Seriously scared.
Asked the guy at Dawson's if this was common.
He said he had never seen it that bad in all the years he was there.
A bunch of his booms came loose.
IMO weather turns bad quicker in those skinny inlets than it does offshore.
Knights inlet is bad as well.

VesselFinder: https://www.vesselfinder.com/ (pull map to WCVI and zoom into your region) IMHO - very valuable for current conditions

Displays all vessels transmitting AIS, including their current wind and wave conditions (click on colored vessel icons for ship data, select weather)
Did not know this but tried it on the Marine Traffic app using a cruise ship and a fishing vessel off of Bamfield. One was 9 knots and the other 7 knots so confirms the reading. Very cool.
thanks!

FYI a guide in Bamfiled told me anything over 1.5m and under 10s and they don’t go.

La Perouse still not reporting?

FYI a guide in Bamfiled told me anything over 1.5m and under 10s and they don’t go.

La Perouse still not reporting?
This is normal summer weather for there and many guides do Rat's Nose in it, so likely a matter of keeping guests from getting bounced around and puking than safety on that boat.
"La Perouse unavailable"

Back