OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Slow day on west van shoreline for us. Forgot to bring some anchovies (salmon crack) but trolled from pt Atkinson to pink apt from 1 til 5 pm . nothing on hootchies or spoons. Caught a really decent plastic bag just as we were pulling up. Dispatched it humanely and put it in the box (Garbage) . nice day though !

Last edited by a moderator:
Slow day on west van shoreline for us. Forgot to bring some anchovies (salmon crack) but trolled from pt Atkinson to pink apt from 1 til 5 pm . nothing on hootchies or spoons. Caught a really decent plastic bag just as we were pulling up. Dispatched it humanely and put it in the box (Garbage) . nice day though !
Was the bag clipped ur unclipped? What depth? ;)

Fished westvan out at 6am 1 big spring broke line and 6 coho but only got one in the Box. 75 feet was the best all Chovy and one on white spoon all came before 9

Got a break from work for the next two days so hoping to get out. Will report back.:cool:

Fished west van yesterday evening 4-7:30, bit of a bite at 5:30 off the fisheries, landed 1 small clipped coho and missed 3 other something's...
Marked lots of fish 37' and 53' were the numbers for us, white squirt, Irish creme spoon.
Lots of undersize crab and only one keeper that lived to be chowed another day.

Finally! I got the boat out fishing. I'm a little slow on this update thanks to work. Managed to get the kids out sat morning early. Fished the west van shoreline shallow to mid depth. was really slow (dead slow until about 9) then started to get a little action in the last couple hours (left at 11). Lost a few, ended up with 3 pinks and a small ho. The main thing was that the 3 kids all got to fight fish with a couple double headers. Was a laugh. Those fresh early season pinks are good on the bbq. everything on bait. tried hoochies, spoons, peeing in the water, playing various types of music. Just not a super hot morning for us.

Fished Gower Point to Bonniebrook yesterday got one nice coho, one just undersized spring, and a few shakers. This morning I headed out to fish the west Van shoreline and I spun the prop.:mad:

hey pippen , isnt it no fishing not just retention in those areas ??

Haven't look closely at the regs specificall for the banana as don't head that anyway this time of year, but if memory serves me correct coho and pink should be open as of June 1?? Pretty sure that is what I read back in early June when fishing the other side and was checking on coho; this Chinook notice is non-retention in that area.

I just read the dfo notice again and it states "Effective immediately until July 31, 2015, there is no fishing for salmon in
the tidal waters of the Fraser River. This area includes the Fraser River
downstream of the CPR Bridge at Mission, BC to the mouth of the river".
I believe the "banana" is included

Subject: FN0658-RECREATIONAL - Salmon: Area 29 (Fraser River Mouth) and Tidal Fraser River: Extension of Chinook Management Actions

Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 (Fraser River mouth:
-------------------------------------------------------
Effective immediately (emailed July 13, 2015) until July 31, 2015, there is no retention of chinook
salmon.

Tidal waters of the Fraser River:
--------------------------------
Effective immediately until July 31, 2015, there is no fishing for salmon in
the tidal waters of the Fraser River. This area includes the Fraser River
downstream of the CPR Bridge at Mission, BC to the mouth of the river.

The Department will continue to review stock status and environmental factors
to help inform future fisheries management decisions and fishing opportunities;
updated information will be announced by fishery notice.

Variation Order: 2015-325

As we rarely fish that way unless it's for sox as we will fish well outside of the banana for springs can anyone clarify? It notes in the above that 29-6, 7, 9, 10 is the "Fraser River Mouth" but in the Tidal waters is states "to the mouth of the river". Is the mouth inclusive of "TO" the mouth?

Should be no surprise considering the lack of precip, high water temps and low anticipated return of early Stuarts.

Ya got me?? Is 29-6,7,9, 10 considered "Tidal waters of the Fraser River"??? Those state no retention of Chinook....but if you look in the regs coho and pink don't have a mention.

If it is ALL closed to ALL salmon fishing from the Mission Bridge to the outside of the banana....why a notice to state no Chinook retention aside from extending it from the 15th out to the 31rst? Wouldn't a notice just say NO SALMON FISHING????

****EDIT****

Well....stay tuned and continue with reports. Sent an email to Barbara Mueller for confirmation; will confirm if those areas of 29 are considered the mouth or if when it states "TO" the mouth if it is inclusive.

My head hurts....need a beer.

That reads to me like no retention of chinook salmon in subareas 29-6 29-7 29-9 29-10 and no fishing for salmon in the fraser river. I'm not sure where the banana is but i thought it was around delta port if thats the case looks open to fishing to me just release the chinook.

For those who are keen to get out to the Fraser Mouth, get out your charts and your plotters and draw some lines.

From The Iona Jetty Light to Sandheads. From Sandheads to the Roberts Bank Raycon. Then draw the line from the Raycon to the US Border, then to the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal.

If you are EAST of this line, you are in 'The Banana' and you cannot retain Chinook Salmon. If you are WEST of this line you are in areas 29-3 and 29-4, and can retain a Chinook.

So it would be very easy to get out there, and just make double damn skippy you're WEST of the line between Sandheads and Iona, and you'll be fine.

Back