OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Ya got me?? Is 29-6,7,9, 10 considered "Tidal waters of the Fraser River"??? Those state no retention of Chinook....but if you look in the regs coho and pink don't have a mention.

If it is ALL closed to ALL salmon fishing from the Mission Bridge to the outside of the banana....why a notice to state no Chinook retention aside from extending it from the 15th out to the 31rst? Wouldn't a notice just say NO SALMON FISHING????

****EDIT****

Well....stay tuned and continue with reports. Sent an email to Barbara Mueller for confirmation; will confirm if those areas of 29 are considered the mouth or if when it states "TO" the mouth if it is inclusive.

My head hurts....need a beer.

Hey Pippen,

El_kabong has the retention area and non-retention area for Chinook correct. To add to that though and clarify your query the "tidal portion of the Fraser River" has seperate sub areas than the "mouth of the Fraser " sub areas hence the two different regs for both. Tidal Fraser river after the mouth heading east is area 29-13 and 14 and its starting in those areas its no salmon at all.

First point in that notice is an extended chinook reg:

Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 (Fraser River mouth:
-------------------------------------------------------
Effective immediately (emailed July 13, 2015) until July 31, 2015, there is no retention of chinook
salmon.

------

Second point in that fishery notice is this notice for the different area ( tidal fraser river):

Tidal waters of the Fraser River:
--------------------------------
Effective immediately until July 31, 2015, there is no fishing for salmon in
the tidal waters of the Fraser River. This area includes the Fraser River
downstream of the CPR Bridge at Mission, BC to the mouth of the river.

Anyone know How far from the lightship straight out to get past the line is?

The sandheads lightship is the point where sub areas 29-3, 29-4, 29-9, 29-10 meet.

Draw a line from sandheads light to point Atkinson light and stay to the west of the line.

Hey Pippen,

El_kabong has the retention area and non-retention area for Chinook correct. To add to that though and clarify your query the "tidal portion of the Fraser River" has seperate sub areas than the "mouth of the Fraser " sub areas hence the two different regs for both. Tidal Fraser river after the mouth heading east is area 29-13 and 14 and its starting in those areas its no salmon at all.

First point in that notice is an extended chinook reg:

Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 (Fraser River mouth:
-------------------------------------------------------
Effective immediately (emailed July 13, 2015) until July 31, 2015, there is no retention of chinook
salmon.

------

Second point in that fishery notice is this notice for the different area ( tidal fraser river):

Tidal waters of the Fraser River:
--------------------------------
Effective immediately until July 31, 2015, there is no fishing for salmon in
the tidal waters of the Fraser River. This area includes the Fraser River
downstream of the CPR Bridge at Mission, BC to the mouth of the river.

Thanks Greg....that's kinda what I had thought. So you CAN fish in the banana for coho/ pinks but any spring by catch goes back. I kinda figured that the mouth and tidal portions did denote two different spots. May have to copy your post for Grizz's post on BCFR as he notes that it "the tidal portion of the Fraser including the banana is closed for salmon fishing.

Thanks for clearing that up. I had always believed that the banana was "close to fishing" not just chinook retention !!

Now that's funny!
Stay away from the banana: the fish won't go near it.

Just remember that the point where 29-9, 29-10, 29-3 and 29-4 meet is the Sandheads light.

If you're north west of the Sandheads light you can retain chinook.

Hey first post.

I went to west van from 5-9 and the wind wasn't too bad. Felt like gusts between 5-10 kms. I'd say the swells were between 3-4ft but calmed down a bit when I began to leave. Saw what appeared to be a couple springs netted but that was between 10-12 boats out there. Saw the occasional bait ball and marked a fair number anywhere between 25-90ft. I did land a clipped coho on a coho killer but it was about a 1/2 lbs.

Coal ports are part of the Banana... Fished west van 3 pinks one hatch coho and a 20 lb red spring, lost another 6 fish at least. Got cooked out there in the sun!

Back