OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

it's possible they were netting a fair number of sockeye so they closed it , just a guess on my part. I know back in the late 80's thru the mid 90's we'd be into sockeye well into late sept. some years.

When is the bite at the fraser mouth usually gone?? Is this continuing unusually late this year?
2 years ago I was filling my boat with pinks this week. Every 2nd cast in front of canoe pass. My best day we got 20 fish with 2 rods in just over an hour (5 people on board)

Anyone been out there with a report on whether these wind warnings are translating into unfishable conditions or not?

The guy in the 14 foot aluminum here. oooh yaaaa. She had one half jump/splash, got to the boat then torpedoed about 40 feet. Got her back after the torpedo and every time I pulled her towards the boat to net her she went nose down and a few hard tail pumps. I am pretty sure I heard her giggle every time. Took for ever but we got her. She was 25. My buddy got one at 11.5 and did the same at the boat just not as long. Are day ended up one pink, two nice springs, two shakers, and a flounder. Most off the action was around the buoy.

The guy in the 14 foot aluminum here. oooh yaaaa. She had one half jump/splash, got to the boat then torpedoed about 40 feet. Got her back after the torpedo and every time I pulled her towards the boat to net her she went nose down and a few hard tail pumps. I am pretty sure I heard her giggle every time. Took for ever but we got her. She was 25. My buddy got one at 11.5 and did the same at the boat just not as long. Are day ended up one pink, two nice springs, two shakers, and a flounder. Most off the action was around the buoy.

I was in the boat beside you when it made the first run. I coulda netted it right then at my boat and saved you 40 minutes! I knew it was a big fish when I saw the size of it's tail!

I forgot to check the conditions because it was so nice where I lived. Had to turn back before I could get past the north arm jetty. The waves/swells were higher than my bow and I didn't see too many boats let alone smaller crafts out there so called it quits. Was the low incoming with 15-20 kph NW winds.

Darn, the marine forecast for Saturday went for a crap!

Environment Canada is predicting the weather for tomorrow as " Strong wind warning in effect.
Wind northwest 15 knots increasing to northwest 15 to 25 early this evening and to northwest 30 Saturday evening."
Is this something fishable on a 20' fiberglass boat?

If the wind stays over 20 knots from the northwest you'll get big seas. If you're out by Sandheads or North Arm the seas at the river mouth may be pretty dicey too. When the winds are 20-30 knots what I worry most about is some one going overboard while playing a fish or working with gear or experiencing boat problems in those conditions and losing full control of he boat in that situation. I would not go out if those wind conditions hold true in a small craft .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fished the North Arm from 9 to 1:30. 2 springs , 11 and 17. Bloody nose glow teaser. 55 and 66 feet.
One heavy take w decent head-shakes and spit the hooks.
Seas were nasty, 4-5 ft swells at close interval.
We were safe in my 24 Jaxoncraft CC ( "Metalpause") but tough to land a fish, work gear or have a pee in those seas. Supposed to blow harder tomorrow, be safe out there.

Anything NW15 and up is pretty sloppy for that area
Yesterday what they called NW15 at the bell was unfisheable,
We had water over the bow and breaking on the isinglass above the windshield of the gulfstream.
Always be on your toes and watching for changing weather systems

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

Past two days there were about 25-30 boats at the mouth of the cap, including lots of charters, all afternoon each day, but didn't see a single net out. Each day, we managed to catch a spring around the high slack. Landed yesterday's, but today, I was fishin solo and couldn't net about a 14 pounder. Couldn't get the fish close enough to the boat and get the net anywhere near it by myself
. Any ideas on how to land a big fish when in a boat by yourself?

Past two days there were about 25-30 boats at the mouth of the cap, including lots of charters, all afternoon each day, but didn't see a single net out. Each day, we managed to catch a spring around the high slack. Landed yesterday's, but today, I was fishin solo and couldn't net about a 14 pounder. Couldn't get the fish close enough to the boat and get the net anywhere near it by myself
. Any ideas on how to land a big fish when in a boat by yourself?
I use a gaff when solo. If I'm not positive it's legal only then do I use a net.

Was going to head out in the morning, Not with this Strong wind warning in effect and Winds NW 15-25 knots. Maybe it will be a good day to wash and clean the boat.

You could always try the harbour. Good flotilla there on the high slack tonight. There was a bite around the tide change. Not a big bite, but I saw a fair number of boats with fish on from 6:15 - 7:30 pm. I got a small 10 lb white spring close to the pink apartment just when I was pulling lines and getting ready to leave. Herring strip in a teaser behind a flasher just off bottom. Anchovy got no love. Sometimes I still go old school and it works. Can't teach an old dog new tricks I guess.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back