NORTH COAST CRUSADE PART IV

Sharphooks

After the tide change I found an anchorage that would be a staging point for my spring hole the next morning. It turned out to be one more semi-sleepless night of rocking and rolling in the swells and spinning on the anchor as the NW blow blew itself out. There was a full moon that night, offering its blinding white light so I could clearly see the whirling horizon as the boat spun on its anchor, leaving me urpy with vertigo.

I wish I could say I was exaggerating these descriptions of my nightly anchorages but unfortunately, these descriptions might even be a bit understated. I typically anchor in very tight quarters where a 5/1 scope would be out of the question. I normally use a 3/1 scope which compels a mariner to put a huge amount of trust in his anchor, chain, and the shackle holding them together. All is well in protected anchorages when using an abbreviated scope like that but in an exposed anchorage, it can get dicey.

One night I anchored in a small cove just past Idol Point in Seaforth Channel. I’d gotten away with this anchorage in year’s past, though with smaller boats, and used a 2/1 scope to keep the boat on a tight leash and off the rock ledges that jut out into
the cove on low tides. This year, with a bigger boat, I used a 3/1 scope, but that left my stern hanging out in Seaforth channel. It was dark and I was too exhausted to go find another anchorage, having just run in from Milbanke in a pounding rain and building wind. I’d take a chance and see what happened.

That night another storm. Then some time during the wee hours, a large ship went down Seaforth Channel, producing a huge wake. The wake lifted my boat well over a meter. The dog yelped and landed on my chest.

The next morning with 5 foot breakers in Seaforth and a nasty wind, I found that when the ship passed by with its wake the night before (right in the peak of a 15 foot tide) the swell had been just enough to lift my anchor out of the sand where I’d dropped it and redeposit it hard and fast to the rocks. I was hung up in a rockpile and this was absolutely the worst time to hang an anchor in the rocks.

I used my experience as a steelhead fishermen to get it free. When your lead gets hung up while bottom bouncing in a river, you need to wade upsteam to find the correct angle to free the lead, the goal being to find the same angle that deposited it there in the first place. The only way I could get this angle with my boat was backing the stern into those 5 foot breakers with slack rode line, then get the rode back in the gypsy. That move did the trick--- the anchor popped free but wow, the heart was pounding and the palms were sweating because I knew I’d just dodged another big dripping bullet. I got the hell out of there and went back to Shearwater.

The last day of the trip I was fishing a few spots south of Caution in Queen Charlotte Strait. There was another boomer high tide and enough wind to produce some big seas. In one of those spots, you need to be tight up against some big rocks. Using a 9.9 kicker motor, I always have my finger poised on the start button of my main engine. With the clapotis effect that can sometimes suck your boat into the rocks, you have to be on high alert and be able to bring in horsepower reinforcements in a hurry

AF1FE679-3FAA-497B-B816-F39419FB68C3.jpegSo I hook a spring. It goes under the boat and I’m only a few meters away from the rocks in roiling big water. I go WOT on the kicker to get away from the rocks. A few more runs from the spring and the hooks pull. I’m philosophical about fishing...some times you’re hot....sometimes you’re not...but losing that fish was my signal loud and clear to pull the plug on the trip. Flirting with rocks in big water with big wind was wearing on me and I pulled in my gear and fired up the two mains.

I later discovered that the gas tank I used to run the kicker was completely empty...bone dry....when the hooks pulled on that spring and I’d fired up the main outboards to beat a retreat from the rocks, I was running on gas fumes remaining in the carburetor and what was left in the hose. If I had hung on to that spring, I would have found out the hard way that the tank was empty. The unanswered question remained: would I have been able to fire up the mains quick enough to stay off the rocks?

Like I said when I started this post: this trip was a bit of a crusade and once you know it’s a crusade, you have to know when to call it off.

Alot of effort, maybe a bit more adventure then I bargained for, but I hadn’t sunk the boat and I’d brought the dog back home safe and sound
and she got lots of exercise.

A0B592AA-3A7D-4792-A561-780117642E87.jpeg

But I was done.

Last edited:
Crazy man. Sounds like an awesome adventure. Thanks for sharing.

amazing read as always. Glad to hear you made it across the border and can share these great stories!

thanks - a great read! The Staircase is also a favourite - epic actually! Thanks for taking time to write up your journey.

Great story. Alway enjoy your adventures. And a good reminder as to how susceptible to weather these trips can be. I did a trip from Port Hardy to Rivers Inlet in late July. Had calm seas the entire time. Was able to fish both sides of Calvert Island, Cape Caution, etc with no issues. Certainly gives you a false sense of security. Your trip was a great reminder that regardless of how big your boat is, the weather needs to be respected.

After the tide change I found an anchorage that would be a staging point for my spring hole the next morning. It turned out to be one more semi-sleepless night of rocking and rolling in the swells and spinning on the anchor as the NW blow blew itself out. There was a full moon that night, offering its blinding white light so I could clearly see the whirling horizon as the boat spun on its anchor, leaving me urpy with vertigo.

I wish I could say I was exaggerating these descriptions of my nightly anchorages but unfortunately, these descriptions might even be a bit understated. I typically anchor in very tight quarters where a 5/1 scope would be out of the question. I normally use a 3/1 scope which compels a mariner to put a huge amount of trust in his anchor, chain, and the shackle holding them together. All is well in protected anchorages when using an abbreviated scope like that but in an exposed anchorage, it can get dicey.

One night I anchored in a small cove just past Idol Point in Seaforth Channel. I’d gotten away with this anchorage in year’s past, though with smaller boats, and used a 2/1 scope to keep the boat on a tight leash and off the rock ledges that jut out into
the cove on low tides. This year, with a bigger boat, I used a 3/1 scope, but that left my stern hanging out in Seaforth channel. It was dark and I was too exhausted to go find another anchorage, having just run in from Milbanke in a pounding rain and building wind. I’d take a chance and see what happened.

That night another storm. Then some time during the wee hours, a large ship went down Seaforth Channel, producing a huge wake. The wake lifted my boat well over a meter. The dog yelped and landed on my chest.

The next morning with 5 foot breakers in Seaforth and a nasty wind, I found that when the ship passed by with its wake the night before (right in the peak of a 15 foot tide) the swell had been just enough to lift my anchor out of the sand where I’d dropped it and redeposit it hard and fast to the rocks. I was hung up in a rockpile and this was absolutely the worst time to hang an anchor in the rocks.

I used my experience as a steelhead fishermen to get it free. When your lead gets hung up while bottom bouncing in a river, you need to wade upsteam to find the correct angle to free the lead, the goal being to find the same angle that deposited it there in the first place. The only way I could get this angle with my boat was backing the stern into those 5 foot breakers with slack rode line, then get the rode back in the gypsy. That move did the trick--- the anchor popped free but wow, the heart was pounding and the palms were sweating because I knew I’d just dodged another big dripping bullet. I got the hell out of there and went back to Shearwater.

The last day of the trip I was fishing a few spots south of Caution in Queen Charlotte Strait. There was another boomer high tide and enough wind to produce some big seas. In one of those spots, you need to be tight up against some big rocks. Using a 9.9 kicker motor, I always have my finger poised on the start button of my main engine. With the klapotis effect that can sometimes suck your boat into the rocks, you have to be on high alert and be able to bring in horsepower reinforcements in a hurry

View attachment 69847So I hook a spring. It goes under the boat and I’m only a few meters away from the rocks in roiling big water. I go WOT on the kicker to get away from the rocks. A few more runs from the spring and the hooks pull. I’m philosophical about fishing...some times you’re hot....sometimes you’re not...but losing that fish was my signal loud and clear to pull the plug on the trip. Flirting with rocks in big water with big wind was wearing on me and I pulled in my gear and fired up the two mains.

I later discovered that the gas tank I used to run the kicker was completely empty...bone dry....when the hooks pulled on that spring and I’d fired up the main outboards to beat a retreat from the rocks, I was running on gas fumes remaining in the carburetor and what was left in the hose. If I had hung on to that spring, I would have found out the hard way that the tank was empty. The unanswered question remained: would I have been able to fire up the mains quick enough to stay off the rocks?

Like I said when I started this post: this trip was a bit of a crusade and once you know it’s a crusade, you have to know when to call it off.

Alot of effort, maybe a bit more adventure then I bargained for, but I hadn’t sunk the boat and I’d brought the dog back home safe and sound
and she got lots of exercise.

View attachment 69850

But I was done.
You should write a book. Awesome story

Thanks for the comments, guys. I was a bit rattled when I got home. Nice to relive the trip sitting at a keyboard....makes me remember more of the cool stuff that happened and put all that wind in a better presepctive.

Case in point: when it’s blowing and you can’t fish, you’d better be able to entertain yourself with other stuff or you’ll go nuts. So I did lots of exploring on shore and saw some amazing terrain, especially hiking on Calvert Island....that place has it going on!

ADD951A6-64A4-4BA1-B45C-F34C8CFF339E.jpeg
6BAC4FB8-C448-4D29-85A6-BB9E66A4E733.jpeg
A021EA19-F00B-42E3-AF2F-027682076C47.jpeg
0E61C71C-7839-4FAB-B264-F2FD0105372E.jpeg

Last edited:
What an adventure, sorry the weather played such a big role but it’s also nice to see that your new boat was up to the task. That trip is on my bucket list but with a 24’ Sea Sport instead so weather forecast will be crucial along with extra days to help offset Mother Nature. Thanks for sharing your experiences once again

Hakai beaches should be on every ones bucket list. 2022 planning is in the works. Hopefully they are open. Covid has postponed trips from both sides of the border.

Sounds amazing! Can you share a bit on how you managed your fuel for this trip?

I’ve done this trip with several boats over the years. Three boats ago, I had a tank that held 150 liters which forced me too strap jerry cans all around the wheelhouse to extend my range.

The boat I have now has a 680 liter tank (its designed for the albacore guys ) so that really extends the range (depending on throttle setting and the weather)

The weather—-You have to take crappy weather into account when calculating fuel burn. When I was inside on flat calm water my fuel burn was 2.3 miles for each 8.7 liters of fuel burn which gave me a range of approx 180 miles. But well over 50% of this trip was spent navigating big wind and big waves. During both my Cape Caution runs, fuel burn was .9 miles for each 8.7 liters of fuel....all of a sudden my range was cut by almost 40%....a bit like getting caught off guard in a snow-storm in your SUV....all of a sudden you’re plodding along in 4x4 nervously watching the needle of your gas gauge as you spin 4 wheels through sludge instead of two wheels on dry pavement

And here for me is the critical tweak when doing a trip like this. Yes, a kicker motor “sips” gas....but go ahead and run it for multiple hours a day over a two or three week period and those sips turn in to gulps. So if you take fuel burn info off the CPU of your main power source then pipe that info to your MFD or digital fuel gauge to track daily fuel burn, that turns out to be bad information if your kicker is plumbed in to the main fuel tank—-it doesn’t have the CPU your main engine does; the fuel it’s burning is not taken into account by what you’re seeing on your digital gauges...

For every trip I’ve taken to this part of the world in each of the boats I ran, I had a separate 23 liter tank in the stern of my boat plumbed to the kicker with a separate jerry can to feed that tank when it ran dry

When I show up at a fuel dock, I know almost to the liter how much fuel I need as a result of that tweak

The nail-biter when planning my trip this year was the FN fuel docks—-would they be open for business during the pandemic? I tracked them all through June and JUly to see what the situation was. One was open, the other was not. I knew if this didn’t change it would effect where I went and how liberal I could be (or not be) with the amount of exploring I did.

I lucked out—-when I finally got on the water in mid August, they were both open to the public

Last edited:
Great write up as usual, really enjoyed reading it and glad you were able to "get north" this year and give your boat a proper shakedown.

If it makes you feel any better about the weather, we did almost the similar trip the last two weeks of July and had to spend 2.5 days hiding out north of Calvert during a gale. Fortunately we had a nice spot out of the wind and only a bit of broken swell coming in to the anchorage at high tide. But we had smooth crossings of Cape Caution both ways which was a first, usually have a rough go one way or the other so can't complain.

Springs were slow for us this year - too many GD pinks! Only kept four and the biggest was ~ 15 lbs, but the coho and bottom fishing made up for it. I heard some bigger fish rolled in after we left.

Any plans to take the new boat out for albacore?

Great write up as usual, really enjoyed reading it and glad you were able to "get north" this year and give your boat a proper shakedown.

If it makes you feel any better about the weather, we did almost the similar trip the last two weeks of July and had to spend 2.5 days hiding out north of Calvert during a gale. Fortunately we had a nice spot out of the wind and only a bit of broken swell coming in to the anchorage at high tide. But we had smooth crossings of Cape Caution both ways which was a first, usually have a rough go one way or the other so can't complain.

Springs were slow for us this year - too many GD pinks! Only kept four and the biggest was ~ 15 lbs, but the coho and bottom fishing made up for it. I heard some bigger fish rolled in after we left.

Any plans to take the new boat out for albacore?

Thanks for the comments, CB— yes, gotta love those pinks....I picked up 4 trays of anchovies this year (first time in my fishing career I ever had anchovies on the boat). I paid $ 19.99 per tray (!!!) and I remember going through almost a dozen of them on pinks...what a great investment...ha ha

I’ve never fished for albacore but I just read a description last night of a group of fly fishermen that went out last week and hooked 54 fish...that got my blood boiling, especially the description of hooking 20 lb fish off the top on poppers....this week I’m getting new impellers and oil changes on the Suzukis...when I get the boat back I’m going to seriously consider doing an albie trip...the Seasport has a live-tank built into the transom...so far that’s just been wasted space so looking forward to switching gears to what will be a new fishing opportunity for me

Last edited:
Great report, as per usual.
Maybe you don't know this: you can drive to Duke Point or Tsawwassen at midnight or 1:00, be at the front of the line for the 05:15 and get on the ferry without a reservation.
I've done it many times.

Great report, as per usual.
Maybe you don't know this: you can drive to Duke Point or Tsawwassen at midnight or 1:00, be at the front of the line for the 05:15 and get on the ferry without a reservation.
I've done it many times.
I have done this many times also. Did it years ago as a commercial truck driver and after with truck and camper. Would pull up, go to sleep, get up and pay, park go back to sleep, then drive on to ferry and go back to sleep. Was well rested by the time we docked. All this was before they change the rules about staying on the car deck.

Back