O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Did the same. We may have passed in the river. Saw 3-4 boats out and bobbing hard. Winds supposed to pick up. Not worth it.

Nasty fog now too...

Can't even see the water from 10 blocks up the hill in West Van.

That being said, we saw them boiling in and among the tankers this weekend, so if it is calm in there the fish can likely be caught.

Still pouring rain at the tankers tho :D

Last edited by a moderator:
A team of 4 guys (dad and 3 sons) won the derby. One of the sons caught and reeled in the fish for $25K. At the after party the prizes were handed out and they announced they will be donating $5K of the winnings to PSF who was the beneficiary of the derby. Good on them!

The difference between the 2nd and 3rd place fish was some small fraction of a pount (0.01 I believe) and the 2nd place winners got $10K as opposed to $3K for third. Apparently there were quite a few fish weighed and entered and released which was good to hear.

I was out of town and just checking the forums now. I can't find anything on the winning fish / fisherman for the Labour Day Chinook Classic. Anyone know who and what won?

Back from osoyoos (lots of sockeye there too! kids had a blast) so headed out yesterday morn with a newbe. way more boats early at the launch than expected but not a big deal as everyone was unloading quickly. headed straight to T10 and found some nice big schools. Got 4 in within an hour and then the waves and wind started working us. I lost the schools and then just got annoyed. I did manage one more and then packed it in. Three of them were really big. first 4 caught around 60', last one caught at 90' on pink glow head and solid pink. Schools seemed a lot deeper than a few weeks ago. Not sure if I'll get out again now with the kids sports picking up...sigh.....but, its been a great fishery this year.

Hey scobo, my family and I have been spending a week or so in Osoyoos every August (usually first week) for a few years now and noticed a few sox around in the lake. Did you target them when you were there, and if you did how did you do it and when were you there. Reason I ask is b/c when we go, I bring my boat along too, but I've never brought any gear as I wasn't sure how to fish them there. Thanks in advance.

Hey scobo, my family and I have been spending a week or so in Osoyoos every August (usually first week) for a few years now and noticed a few sox around in the lake. Did you target them when you were there, and if you did how did you do it and when were you there. Reason I ask is b/c when we go, I bring my boat along too, but I've never brought any gear as I wasn't sure how to fish them there. Thanks in advance.

There is much talk about osoyoos lake in the freshwater forum

Anyone manage to get out off the Fraser today? Weather and fishing report appreciated if so

I thought about it, too much chop for the lil boat. Besides the commies were at it til 5 and the river was a gong show.

Out at north arm now. Weather is decent. Blew up good last night. A few rollers but no chop really so good for most boats. Just dropped in. No fish yet.

Did the same. We may have passed in the river. Saw 3-4 boats out and bobbing hard. Winds supposed to pick up. Not worth it.

I came out the river yesterday same time 6 45. Nasty waves and wind south of north arm.
Trolled bell to markers and managed 1 spring about 16 lbs. Right at marker.
Glo green flasher and teaser

Heading in from Sandheads now
Lines down at 730, limited out at 10 (8 in the boat). Not too many boats out, decent weather with small swells. Riggers at 65 and 70, one dummy on each and only one rod per rigger, all colors of flashers seemed to work.
Lots of big schools on sounder
Probably lost another 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Was a little lumpy to start out this morning but has calmed down a bit. Lots of action out there 7 between us and lost numerous others as I had a newbie on board. Best I've seen it in over a week. Some at 60 but many at 100 range.
I'm convinced the one rigger that is right next to the kicker gets more fish because of the extra vibration from the kicker.

North arm ended up working for us this morn. After about an hour with no bites and constant searching and changing things up we finally hit a good school and quaded up (landed all 4 too!). Over the next hr we bonked another 6 and back to the dock by 10am which was pretty good. There were quite a few other boats at the north arm but we didn't see many others catching much so I think we were on to one of the few biting schools in the area. Apparently T10 and Sandheads were quite consistent this morning. Some of the fish we got this morning looked a little "rivery" if you know what I mean. I'm sure they will taste great, however.

We had a tough time this am ! Started first light at the north arm and worked our way down to t10 but only managed 4 in the boat ! Must have missed something today

Dont' think you missed much at the north arm other than the 15 minute bite we had. It was slow going for us out there other than a fury for a few minutes

We had a tough time this am ! Started first light at the north arm and worked our way down to t10 but only managed 4 in the boat ! Must have missed something today

Dont' think you missed much at the north arm other than the 15 minute bite we had. It was slow going for us out there other than a fury for a few minutes

Move to the south arm. Fished there last night with good success. Lots of fish waiting!

Out this morning. Started north arm didnt see much. After word from a bud he hit some fish at t10 I picked up and headed there.
Managed 2 sox in a quick double header. Fishing solo it was a bit of a gong show. Didnt mark much today and felt lucky
To get any. 75 and 88 on riggers

Out this morning. Started north arm didnt see much. After word from a bud he hit some fish at t10 I picked up and headed there.
Managed 2 sox in a quick double header. Fishing solo it was a bit of a gong show. Didnt mark much today and felt lucky
To get any. 75 and 88 on riggers

go south, limits off Sandheads this morning.

Morning till 10 at Sandheads was loads of fish around again.
Played with about 14 fish and only managed to land 5....and yes had green horns on board again from my hockey team but have to admit many were just not there after releasing from the clip. I'm told sockeye have soft mouths and are easily lost because of it, wondering if size of hooks and type of hook might be playing into it. Ended up having to use some 2/0 siwash instead of my usual 4/0 today also wondering if any finds better sticking with octopus?
We were simply running our usual two rods and finding more hits with 30 inch leaders and down between 90 and 100 on the gear. In addition the NW tack into the wind was when we hit almost everything and more NW of the pack where the trollers were. Was lumpy but doable out there. Lots more sockeye to be had but where are the springs??

Back