O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Left Dock at 6 15 ...... taxied to T 10 headed South. Limits Boxed by 9 AM and were outa there. Again, all pink, red and orange and silver theme on attractors and hootchies, all fished hooked between 50 and 75 feet. Wish I had 7 fishers aboard ........ didnt fish the pack ....... looking to get T boned there. Way more relaxed outa the crowd.

Go get em they are there !

HT

Tangle city out the T10 for me today! Got one, missed another. Tangles and lack of fuel sent me packing.

Well, ended the day at 145, 6 in the box only in the last hour at sand heads. Sounds like it was amazing if you were with the schools out there! People I know had 16 by 930 am. Good times out there see you tomorrow morning again.

Didn't do near as well as some today. Got the only two hits of the morning to the boat. Fished with the pack. Shear comedy at times. The net jobs out there....probably better than catching fish myself. So it was a little slower for my boat, but entertainment was still high.

The fun ended when I found the truck ignition had been punched out by some thoughtless thugs. If you see a guy with a couple rods and a "Richmond or Bust" sign at the side of the highway, please, pick me up :D

Worked hard to fill the tub, but stayed away from the pack at sandheads. We left at 11:30 and counted over 150 boats in sight.
85'-95' on the riggers, find the schools and try to stay with them.

Sorry should have clarified, it was not at the launch. Parked in Langley outside a friends house.

After 20-30 hours of trying since the opening, I finally landed my first sockeye. Lines down at 6:45 a mile north of T10 fishing solo, and found a school within 30 minutes. I learned early that Sockeye don't act the same at the boat as Springs and lost my first two less than 8 feet from the back of the boat when trying to figure out how I was going to net it on my own. Continued on towards T10 with the current and found myself in a double header. Landed the first one with the net (barely...hope no one was watching) and had to haul in the other one from the flasher. 7lb and 5.5lb. First two hit and misses (7:15-8:00) were in deep water, 350-400 with the Canon ball @ 80 feet. Both hit and misses were on the side with a small pink hoochie w/ a black hook. Changed the other side so they matched and got the double header (9:00?) in 250 feet of water, canon ball @ 80 feet, both with blue flashers. Saw a lot of people catching at T10.

Trolled back to the North arm and changed one side to a green onion flasher and black/green/white spoon w/ the cannon ball @ 60 feet targeting springs. Had one on right at the mouth (130 feet of water) for a fun fight, but was 3 cm too small and was tossed back. Got that fight on the go-pro :)

All day I was running 4 dummy flashers. Will try again tomorrow morning.

A suggestion fishing in your own for sockeye don't use a net. I find it easier to hand line them when close to the boat, grab the flasher and flip them in the boat.

Fished for 3 hrs this eve started at the North arm fished for an hr hit one sock, then moved on to just north of T10 no hits lots of jumpers , hit the shallows and hit a red spring in 50' of water on our sockeye gear sweet finish ! ,nice evening :cool: water was flat , wish i had time to hit the south . Cheers !

Attachments

• spring23.jpg
    spring23.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 665
Last edited by a moderator:
Raw deal Nick sorry to hear that, missed that the first time I read your post, freaking **** stain thieves need to be on the riggers at 80' and see how they like it.
Hope you get it back in decent shape.

well after yesterday running to Vancouver from the coast
we started at Spanish banks heading south
got into a bit of a mess with the middle rigger which was set up with the false flashers
so ended up just running the 4 rods2 either side

must say some boats are not even looking or know that you don' t cross in front
of a fishing vessel
on its own starboard side YOU MUST GIVE WAY !!!!!!
thats your right side red light?

as i had a small verbal altercation with two older guys in a smaller hewes open type tinny with a white/beige bimni top
as i was tacking in the main directions of the pack after just being for forced off course for the second time .

wish some would actually go do a power squadron course or the svop

next time i'll just blast you with the horn
and take a pic and shame you ....lol

ok rant over

fishing was slow 2 for 2 sox should'a could'a of ran down to sandheads
but if there is a next time no more fishing in the pack //gong show

Left Ladysmith. Made the crossing to sand heads. Lines in at about 8:15. First fish at 9:30 and had our limit of 8 by 10:45. All fish caught at 85 feet on the rigger( hooks at 75 or there about ) 5 on big hootchies with longer leaders. Spring gear 42 " Thanks to the boat who traded with us for 4 beverages. Made the rough ride back to the island a bit smoother. A great day. Will be back.

Lines in @ 6:30 boxed A doz by 10
Looks like the herd is starting to show up in good #s as the sounder was lit up like a Xmas tree, shame the gill net fleet will be kickin the crap outta them on tues:(
North arm, small pink, 50-70'

Started at first light at T10 and fished for a while there before trolling all the way down to Sandheads. A bit of action through most of the day, including the long troll South to Sandheads, but hottest at Sandheads just after low slack just after noontime. The deeper rods out fished the shallow ones 5 to 1. Most of the hits were with the cannon balls let out 90'.

Another great day at Sandheads today boxed 7 lost 5. Had buds out with me learning the ropes. Wondering if anybody knows what time the gill netters are opening on Tuesday?

Opens Monday at 8:00am, closes Tuesday at 8:00am. Good chance for another opening Wednesday after Tuesday's PSC meeting. It's a river opening so the outer boundaries are at the mouth. The specific boundaries are on the dfo sight some place. There is plenty of room outside the nets for rec. trollers. The flossers upstream will see a slow down.

I am confused about the gill net opening. I see comments that the opening for the Fraser Moutn (29-10. 29-11 etc) is Tuesday but when I look at fishery notices it says Monday Aug 25th

"Gill nets open for 24 hours from 08:00 hours Monday, August 25, 2014 to 08:00
hours Tuesday, August 26, 2014 in Subareas 29-11 to 29-17 and portions of
Subareas 29-3, 29-4, 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 known as the Fraser River
Mouth. "

What am I missing ??

Back