O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Had plans to head out today with my friends 15 year old son and had to finally lay the guilt trip on his Dad to also join us. Reminded him that these magic moments with your son won't be there for long and he luckily relented and put on hold all those other "important" things that always seem to need doing.
Man was I lucky to find a cooler full of magic for them!
Didn't get out till about 3pm as his son is one of those kids that stays up all night playing video games but he's actually a great kid.
Soon as we dropped the lines running parallel to the tide line couple km NW of Sandheads we hit fish and boxed 7 in total within 45 minutes one after another. Only had the two licenses and would have had the 8th if we hadn't wandered into a debris field that laid us up for 15 minutes and then it went dead at slack tide. Just two rods running at 80 feet and 6 on the same rod with a squirt that's more like a cross between a squirt and a needle fish. Same pink squirt that was working the other day for us....go figure. Just slightly different than my other squirts, longer slender body and last one i have like it.
Got one more undersized spring that gave more fight than the soxs twice it's size.
Didn't loose any fish or any gear so stellar day all in all!

I was calling you over first thing, no answer, thought you might have bankers hours, lol. Then bite was off after 8am. Struggled to finish the day.

Anyone else see the 36'? Fountain black with three 275hp verados, holy cow. Looked unreal.

I'm out again tomorrow

Hahaha, Canso....,had my handheld on and thru the tunes missed ya. Had a meeting at 3 and had to be back in. Will be there (Sandheads) by 7:30 at the latest. Thanks for the unanswered hail....my bad!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what an evening at Sandheads , fished 4 - 730 out of the pack following the jumpers , and within 1 1/2 hrs we hit 11 fish landed 6 .... pretty exciting :D , 100' -108' deep ,we were close to a troller and they were lining in fish like crazy! ... Hightide tandem flasher on the ball works great , if we didn't hit that school of fish we would have been skunked ,sox sure come in waves and hang out in schools ...non stop learning first year sock fishing thnx Flex . Cheers !
IMG-20140821-00373.jpg

Reel Time ! Good on ya glad my suggestions worked for ya, its so important to stay with a school if you can. As we had yesterday afternoon, we had a tough time finding any schools like last week. Sure hope they are starting to build up again. Congrats on the success, keep it up ! Them biggy Springs are soon to be had too !

HT

I'll be plying the waters tomorrow around 2pm until the later hours....staying on the hook Fri night so I can get the zero dark 30 jump on them greenbacks Saturday morning....monitoring 69/88a...

Where do you toss the hook Nick?

Got out after work yesterday. Started at t 10 with no results. Pulled gear and ran south towards
Sandheads. Found a la4ge school out near a tideline and put a couple in the box. Had a hard time staying on the school

In 2010 the schools seemed to be everywhere. Fish jumping everywhere. I
'm having a hard time believing this run is twice as big. I couldn't find the schools yesterday. Fishing seemed to be spotty for most at Sandheads.

Think I heard it's going to be a lot smaller than 2010. Everybody just latched on to the early upper projections. Somebody probably knows the revised #s.

Believe it is going to happen. The fish are out there to catch now if you put in time. I am on vacay and have landed 60 over the past ten days. At times it has been spotty and other times fast and furious when you find a school. I'd bet a dollar they will be in thick soon. And in 2010 we didn't get Orca shows almost everyday. I took a video yesterday that is too long to load however can send anyone if you message me. Shows a dozen Orcas hunting side by side right behind my boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 442
Fished 3-7:30 at sandheads way outside the pack along a pretty dirty tidline and managed to get our 12
Noticed some very substantial sized schools starting to group up so things are looking like they are starting to build but the test fisheries # are climbing also so they are on the move.
Not one of those years that they hang at the mouth for 6 weeks so we can clobber them, work fast boys.
The fish we got last night were from a different run, chrome monsters, all over 7lbs:cool:

Fished 3-7:30 at sandheads way outside the pack along a pretty dirty tidline and managed to get our 12
Noticed some very substantial sized schools starting to group up so things are looking like they are starting to build but the test fisheries # are climbing also so they are on the move.
Not one of those years that they hang at the mouth for 6 weeks so we can clobber them, work fast boys.
The fish we got last night were from a different run, chrome monsters, all over 7lbs:cool:

That's where we hit all our fish right on the tide line , boat was all over the map from the current speed was up and down ,going side to side but that's when the action was on . Couple of the fish last night were much bigger and chrome .:D

sounds like a HUGE push of fish are still coming down...

I just looked at the numbers today and through area 12 there are still more than 40,000 fish this year than 2010.(401K 2010) - (445K 2014) The only thing is San Juan number are way down from 2010. Does not look like the run will be a big as 2010 but will still be up in the 25 million range or better. I think more fish are coming down the inside that around. Would be interesting to hear how the number are on the west coast.

Cheers, Rob

These reports are making me think work may end sooner than predicted today!

Good info guys. And as someone noted the comm boats up the coast are seeing numbers like never before. So they is coming!

See you out there.

Back