O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Here is the Bon Chovy report out today.....

August 22, 2014

Vancouver Sockeye Fishing Report, August 22nd

Filed under: FISHING REPORTS — Jason @ 7:26 am

Sockeye salmon has now been open for almost 3 weeks and we have been swamped with charters! It has been an interesting start to the sockeye season with some unbelievable days on the water, and the odd day where you scratch your head and ask where the heck are these millions of fish. We have experienced some phenomenal periods of action all along the mouth of the Fraser River. The North Arm, Iona, T 10 and Sandheads have all had their moments. What we have noticed that these earlier fish is they are not staging off the river mouth for long, which is likely one of the reasons why they seem to vanish sometimes. The big schools will stack up on a tide and then they are gone on the next tide. Luckily almost every tide brings in another masisive wave of fish and slow fishing does not last very long. The test sets in Johnstone Straits look very impressive over the last couple days, so it is likely that we are going to be in for some very good fishing in coming days and weeks. The fish that arrive later in August and early September are more prone to staging longer off the Fraser River so we should start to see the larger schools of jumping and finning fish like we all remember from 2010.

When fishing for sockeye salmon it is SO important to run as many flashers as possible. We typically run 3 dummy flashers on each downrigger in addition to our live rods. The reason why we like to run so many flashers is that you can get schools of sockeye to follow your gear. The better you can keep a school in your gear, the more fish you are going to catch.. We have been having really good luckk on our Guide Series Flashers and Michael Bait hootchies…. The T 10, STS, and Bon Chovy have been our go to flashers on our boats. I did put down the No Banana’s flasher over the last couple das and had some good luck on that one as well. Our Gibbs Delta Pro Shop is open daily and loaded with all the right gear you need for sockeye.

The sockeye run is still building and we will likely be fishing them into mid September! With all the hype on the massive sockeye run, most people have forgot that August and September are productive months in Vancouver to fish for bigger chinooks. There are chinook heading into the Fraser River daily and the odd one has been hit while fishing for sockeye. If you are looking at fishing for chinook, it is a good idea to run anchovies, herring and glow hootchies at the Bell Buoy, T 10, and off Sandheads.

Out again this morning and we were limited by 9am. Just two of us in the boat. Nice out there today, calm seas but cloudy. I was expecting 15-20 according to a couple of forecasts. Seemed like the schools were a little more spotty and thinner, looking at the sounder, than wednesday but they are out there. Fished a little closer in today and was fighting some strong currents and boat traffic.

Yep, the channel doglegs to the southwest and at the end of the jetty on the north side is the sandheads lighthouse. Takes about 20 minutes to get out there depending on how fast you're going

Great bite early on! We were north of the light a bit outside the pack and got into em' early. Bite was hot at Sandheads from about 7:30 to 9:00

77' on the rigger.....find the school.....quick change of speed was working for us and then let the party begin!!!

Canso......thanks for dropping the line!! Tunes were too loud and we had turned down the radio! :p

When the bite slowed I even had time to respond to my 10 yr old niece's Ice Bucket Challenge!

Last edited by a moderator:
good job Scott!! bout the only cool one I have seen...

Got to know Paul Bissonette (BizNasty) who played for the Coyotes at my nephew's wedding in June. Do a search for his with the helicopter....it's a great one with a few buddies involved.

Pretty spotty for us today. Couldn't seem to find any nice consistent schools of biters. Tried t10 and sandheads this aft and only managed 3 sox in about 5 hrs of fishing. Tide was ripping hard at sandheads which made things interesting.

Slow for the FB boat. Fished till night and nada. Back out for the morning as it seems to be the time to catch...

Just ran through a huge school of socks 4.5 miles SW of sandheads. Just counted 35 boats crowded between T10 and Sandheads light with binocs.... wish I was towing lures instead of a barge!

Out here since 615 and so far nothing. Just north of sand heads lots of boat seen no action so far!

Hosting some guests this weekend who want to go fishing...but it's 7:30am and they're still in bed. We're gonna head to T-10 to Sandheads areas. Maybe around there by 10:30am??? We'll be on VHF 16, say hi if you see us. Yellow hull Robalo with a T-top

Fished north and south of T10 yesterday from noon till 7. Lots of fish on the surface and on the sounder including some deep schools around 120 - 150. Fishing was slow but managed a few including a nice Spring at 40' at 5pm off T10.
image.jpg

Got my limit at t10 this morning. Done by 10. It was great when this 26 foot hughescraft came within 5 feet of t-boning me. I ways yelling but they were too busy with a fish. And then I ended up in crab trap because of them. Pretty rediculous with. 2 grown men and they can't watch where they are going. But we had a fish, they say to me. Jokers.

Back