O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Codfather; that is an excellent idea for this fishery. I gave up on the net a few years ago too as I was loosing as many as I was getting. I only use the net now for my guests (as flipping them in over the transom requires a little skill), and when there is a spring on the line. The trick I find in flipping them in the boat is to make sure they are heading in toward the back of the boat and not thrashing too much. This seems to work even for the big sox.

View attachment 13913View attachment 13914

After losing so many fish while trying to net them I built this slide and have been using it for a few years. It works great as you don't have to wait for the guy on the net or there is one in the net and can't get to the double or triple. You just drag them into the well and it's over.

The other day we caught 12 out of 13 and one was a triple and got them all in.

Hope to get out Tuesday or Wednesday.

Really like your slide, how about some idea how you made it please? ....BB

codfather;369974 After losing so many fish while trying to net them I built this slide and have been using it for a few years. It works great as you don't have to wait for the guy on the net or there is one in the net and can't get to the double or triple. You just drag them into the well and it's over. The other day we caught 12 out of 13 and one was a triple and got them all in. Hope to get out Tuesday or Wednesday.[/QUOTE said:
Dude, you need to patent that thing. $$$

Just a quick note. If you see a 14' tin boat towing a 18 fibreglass boat up the river don't just drive by looking stop and help. Thanks to the three bigger boats that past me.
What goes around comes around! Kudos to you. Hope their more fellas like you around in case I ever have a breakdown out there!

I would have done the same and helped the stranded boat out , hell a good buddy and i towed a commercial prawning boat in once with his 15' tinner on the west coast in dead winter snowing out and all lol ....we had the knives on standby .

Just a quick note. If you see a 14' tin boat towing a 18 fibreglass boat up the river don't just drive by looking stop and help. Thanks to the three bigger boats that past me.

Last edited by a moderator:

After losing so many fish while trying to net them I built this slide and have been using it for a few years. It works great as you don't have to wait for the guy on the net or there is one in the net and can't get to the double or triple. You just drag them into the well and it's over.

Great idea!

Love the slide, great idea.

That's a wrap.
finished the salt season this morning at Sandheads with 8 sockeye in 48mins.

May-June Springs at Thrasher and Sockeye at Sandheads I had my best season ever.
Freezer is full and 8cases of pint jars. Triple digit numbers

Time to bring out the jet sled, spin cast some Coho, float jigs for chum and wrestle some monster Sturgeon.
See you next season when the prawning starts in Febuary.
Good times

Took the kids out last night for an hour and half of trolling...that's about all I can get out of them. Sandheads. Fish jumping everywhere, good schools...but nothing...first skunk since July. Mind you only short while and late afternoon so guess I just wasn't on the bite. My kids still don't understand how I always come back with fish...only when they aren't with me....bad daddy apparently. Going to have to start waking them up early.

Scobo,
my wife and kids used to do the same. not morning risers. So, us early bird old farts would go early, be back home with lots of fish, whale stories etc. Well they insisted again a few weeks back of afternoon fishing, we did go and did fair OK, got some but not like the morning bite I told them about. So they came to me, asked to go after day break, tired of all the stories and seeing better success from us early risers. Well we did it lines in by 7 am, well, they hammered them. More then they wanted ....... now lets see if they can do it again, I some how doubt it. haha

HT

I would pre dress the kids the night before, pick them up out of there bed and into there car seats. They were happy to see the sunrise over the water then have a morning nap. My 3 year old still tells people about the Orca show we saw.

A quick one this morning at the North Arm. Went 4 for 4 and done a little after 8. Beat the low low back at the marina. Was able to get in on power and reorganize gear and boat.

I would have done the same and helped the stranded boat out , hell The Fog Ducker and i towed a commercial prawning boat in once with his 15' tinner on the west coast in dead winter snowing out and all lol ....we had the knives on standby .

I would assess the situation, is the large fibreglass boat in the type of danger that I would risk myself in a small tin boat? Is it perhaps just a matter of calling C-Tow and having proffessionals do the job so no one gets hurt?

Limit of 8 in 2 hours this morning at the sandheads. Fish jumping everywhere. Catching them anywhere from 50-100 feet.

I would assess the situation, is the large fibreglass boat in the type of danger that I would risk myself in a small tin boat? Is it perhaps just a matter of calling C-Tow and having proffessionals do the job so no one gets hurt?

This situation is being over analyzed. Princecraft was just making the point, in the spirit of being who we are as fishermen, when you see a small tin boat helping tow a larger boat, and you're in a larger boat, go over and ask if you can help out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can someone help me out regarding wind/sea conditions. The Gov of Canada site currently as a STRONG WIND WARNING IN EFFECT for the Sandhead LIghtstation but winds on site as only showing SW5. I was going to go out this morning (daughter got sick last time) but cancelled because of wind warning. What is really happening out there? Am I misreading the data?

We had a late start at 8 ish and headed for Iona jetty. Trolled south and landed 7, many hits, then later lost one, going north. Hit the shallows and a sunken crab line, lost 15lb. ball,clip and 2 dummies, and 120" of power pro. Might have gotten out of it but a small boat CAME BEHIND ME AND PROPPED IT!
most hits at 81-87 feet.

Can someone help me out regarding wind/sea conditions. The Gov of Canada site currently as a STRONG WIND WARNING IN EFFECT for the Sandhead LIghtstation but winds on site as only showing SW5. I was going to go out this morning (daughter got sick last time) but cancelled because of wind warning. What is really happening out there? Am I misreading the data?

Environment Canada's Marine FORECASTS.......are pretty shoddy at best. ;)

I can't count the number of times to confirm what Tofinoguy told me a few years back about those forecasts and I quite often cross check them when out on the water. The current conditions are fine....but banking a day out on the water based on EC is not something I do. ;)

It was excellant out there, late morning to noonish.
I always find it best to check the website, for south of nanaimo, then halibut bank, sandheads and point atkinson. it is all on the same website, just click weather conditions and then the individual icons on the screen.
Sometimes if heading to nanaimo, check north georgia straight also, as it can give you more info/ideas.
check the time of the forecast, note how it is 4 pm and the wind is 20 at midnight.

I can relate Devers. I was concerned by the forecast last night but checked the weather conditions at 5 AM which were mostly calm and scrambled my crew.
Out at Sandheads at 8 and had a limit of 12 by 11. Calm winds all morning... With Westerly forecasts I like to check Entrance Island as an early indicator of wind at Sandheads. This morning at 5AM it was calm. Most fish at 100'. Riggers at 110-120. Lots of big schools around the 100' mark.

That slide is an exellent idea,codfather.Might have to steal that one off ya.I bet it works slick!

Back