O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

I can relate to hitting a badly set crab net. Did it last weekend. Too much loose line on top. Today got out there by 1 pm to sandheads and trolled where I saw jumpers, which was close in. Nothing. Commy trollers were there too and didn't get any that I saw either. I tacked out to deeper water and found nothing on the scope when I must have hit a school b/c my rod at 88ft went off and I had three in 10 minutes and was limited in 20. back in by 3:30 pm. My kids are the same, and want to bring the ipad out there fishing. I was out there yesterday with them and both my 7 yr old son and 9 yr old daughter played fish for awhile before loosing them to slack lines. They're still game, but want guarantees. Ha!

I can relate Devers. I was concerned by the forecast last night but checked the weather conditions at 5 AM which were mostly calm and scrambled my crew.
Out at Sandheads at 8 and had a limit of 12 by 11. Calm winds all morning... With Westerly forecasts I like to check Entrance Island as an early indicator of wind at Sandheads. This morning at 5AM it was calm. Most fish at 100'. Riggers at 110-120. Lots of big schools around the 100' mark.

Thanks for the comments.

Love the slide, great idea.

That's a wrap.
finished the salt season this morning at Sandheads with 8 sockeye in 48mins.

May-June Springs at Thrasher and Sockeye at Sandheads I had my best season ever.
Freezer is full and 8cases of pint jars. Triple digit numbers

Time to bring out the jet sled, spin cast some Coho, float jigs for chum and wrestle some monster Sturgeon.
See you next season when the prawning starts in Febuary.
Good times
Nice work Canso... Got my new ride a little late to whack n stack the sockeye but not bad otherwise. Off to Bamfield for tuna for 10 days then chase a few more salmon around.

Good stuff

when you check the sandheads or other place current locals, also click on the past 24hr button, on next line down. It can give you an idea how things have been going hourly , since last night. If you watch Entrance Is, you will see if has blown several days at NW 15+ yet sandheads shows near calm. Hence the forecast will state strong wind warning, if one spot in the zone is registering the predicted wind speed. Quite frequently, you can see if things are dropping off , or increasing, at several sites quickly. Another thing, if its going to be high 25C, then the high pressure brings in the NW winds. If its predicted to drop, watch Balennas Is for early drop offs. on NW. Another thing, on a moderate ebb tide with NW , watch for start of the flood, off Sandheads, the tide against wind, even only 10-15 knots, will stack the seas up quickly close in..

Out this evening from 3-7. Fished out deep off Iona and t10. Jumpers everywhere as well as large schools on the sounder from 50-100 feet. Landed 6 out of 9 hits. Slow at first then a couple doubles and singles within an hour bite. Much larger fish now then a few weeks ago. average 8lbs.

Out this evening from 3-7. Fished out deep off Iona and t10. Jumpers everywhere as well as large schools on the sounder from 50-100 feet. Landed 6 out of 9 hits. Slow at first then a couple doubles and singles within an hour bite. Much larger fish now then a few weeks ago. average 8lbs.

Yes still lots at south arm as well amongst the many commercial trollers who seem to be doing well too. image.jpg

We got four of five last night including a bright summer run.

This may be a stupid q, but I'll ask it anyways. I understand the North Arm of the Fraser empties at the Sandheads. But looking on the map there's a more northerly arm which empties near the QA, just south of Wreck Beach. Do the Sockeye not go up that arm too? I'm asking because I launch from North Van and would rather save a bit of time than having to head all the way down to Sandheads. Thanks.

This may be a stupid q, but I'll ask it anyways. I understand the North Arm of the Fraser empties at the Sandheads.

OK ILL BITE THE BAIT

No the south arm empties at Sandheads , nearSteveston......... The north arm is the one closest to you if you live in a north Van , it's near wreck beach, and closest to the QA . Yes the sox do travel the north arm too. You don't have to travel to the south arm to bag sockeye right now although it has been a better producer for many as of late. The sox are even in Van harbour, red can near Jerico, the freighters etc and yes the north arm too. Matter fact there's so darn many sox, they are almost every where out there. Good luck to you. Read back of this thread and learn from the many contributors here.

HT

Ok. Sooke has me all rattled again so I'm headed over to soothe my fishing nerves with some sockeye in the am.... But what about springs? Best depths? Riggers and water? I'm rigged for chovies, what colours work? Any help definitely appreciated!

Not sure about depths at south arm, 80 to 40 on the riggers? Green glo, chartreuse and plain glo chovies have worked for me around t10. I like the double glo chartreuse flasher. See you out there tomorrow, monitor 88a on the radio

Out with wishiniwasfishing Got pushed around by tide & retreated to harbour with full sox gear cone zone etc. went 2 for 3 for 16 lb red and 17 white
f749a6474baca91d5448c56bf43f6dcd.jpg
9355e240db872b727f2e771f5430c921.jpg
60 & 80 on riggers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all

Thank you all for the great information on this forum. It's helped me tons trying to learn how to fish in the chuck. I took my father in-law out on his last day in town (visiting from Brazil). Was out between T10 and Sandheads yesterday from 2pm-6pm. Lots of jumpers, but a bit slow on the bite. Got 2 of 2 Sox between 5pm-5:30pm (11lbs and 7lbs). We were in 200ft of water. Using 2 rods on separate downriggers, dummy flasher at 95ft, flasher and pink hoochie (18" leader) at 85ft.

The old man couldn't get the grin off his face all night. Probably still grinning on the flight home today. Thank you all again!!

I found this link to a map of reference points like Sandheads, T10, The Hump, QA, etc. Just wanted to pass it on to other noobs like me.

http://i.imgur.com/7defZCI.png

Nice work nez_fer! Always feels good to get out there and land a few fish with unsuspecting guests on board. In between the **** throwing and off-topic conversation this forum does have a lot to offer :)

My report from this morn:

Off the dock at first light and lines in the water by 6:30 with few other boats at the north arm. Beauty flat calm and lots of jumpers around. Didn't see any massive schools for the first hr or so but we were consistently picking up 1 sox at a time every 10-15 mins. By 8am we found a nice school and got into some doubles and steady action and tubbed out (for 3) by just before 9am. 4 rods working with 2 dummies on each rigger. all tightly stacked with just 6-8 ft from release clip to flasher. No net needed either. just grab the flasher and smoothly haul them in and get the gear back down as quick as possible. when the bite is on I've found this to be most effective. We were out in 300 ft of water down 80-90 on the cannonball. Another great morning to start a work day :)

Great report tincan. In between big bites it's nice to get one every 15 min to keep everyone attentive.

I'm coming over tonight and fish the evening then morning. What channel are most boats on? I was on 88a last trip.

See you out at the mouth.

Codfather, great to see you Island guys coming over to Vancouver to fish!!! Hope you had a good season at Nootka....

Hi all - Had a great day Sunday, limiting out in 4 hours, including a meal break.

Troll was bit faster than normal at 2.2 Mph and our best luck at 100 feet, using traditional commercial sockeye hoochie with white or blue glow head, with lots of lost fish due to the slightest of errors. Watch those rods careful! Big had tons of fun.DSC_2318.jpgDSC_2320.jpg

Tight line mates and see you this weekend - The Willow- Bee

pescador, good running into you a few times this year. The year ended as good as it started in Nootka for me. I saved $2000 on fuel not running outside and didn't get beat up offshore like usual.

I've made 3 trips over for Sockeye and enjoyed them. We are going to fish Sandheads tomorrow and see how that goes. T10 has been good the last two trips.

Back