O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Went 2 for 4 today. All around 87-95 feet. Lines in at 715. Couldn't find the big schools of last week and wasn't able to get a feel for what was working as bites were very sporadic.

From the south end of Newcastle Channel it took us less than 90 minutes to Sandheads in nice conditions this morning.
Limit of 12, had 16 to the boat.
1 in 4 is no longer shiny but once skinned the meat is still beautiful...
We found that we had to troll faster than expected - the down rigger line angle using 15lb balls was what you would expect off 10lb balls.
Leaders of all lengths worked although 18 inch was the best.
Also, ours were mostly caught at 113 feet deep in 250 feet of water.

Last edited by a moderator:
had a bad day at work today, put the gear on the boat and headed out at 6pm from captains cove (i'm a ladner guy). lines in the water by 6:30 at sand heads. nailed a 12lb sock in about 15 minutes. tons of jumpers. pulled up an undersized spring shortly after, that was disappointing after seeing some the springs everyone has been pulling in. packed up and headed in just before dusk. great moon on the way back, almost took my leg off on a semi submerged log, keep your eyes peeled. but all in all it was the release i needed. loving the fishing this year.
60' in 300' green glow pink hooch, the usual.

For those who have caught springs on sockeye gear, were they on longer leaders? I've yet to experience the pleasant surprise...

45 minutes from long harbour on saltspring to sandheads in good weather!
Going one last time tommorow if weather is good does anyone know how long the sockeye will last
As I seem to remember was middle of September on 2010?

Nope ours were just shy of 24 inches. Tide was ripping and wind pushing us so even with bucket dragging we were probably going close to 2.5

i picked up three. one on all pink hooch, the other two on pink glow. leaders were 26" and 28". one was trolling more spring speed and the other two were trolling sockeye speed. its more chance than anything. if you really want a spring toss on an anchovie on a green glow with 6' leader and flasher in 60-80' and 3mph and hang on.

North arm again this morning for me. Pretty consistent from 6:30-8am including a couple doubles. 85-100 ft for us today. Got 10 fish in about an hr and then it died off from just after 8 - 9am for us so we were a couple short of our limits. When the bite is one it's on and we made sure to keep our gear in the water as quickly as possible. No net and a quick deckhand on the rigger really help to limit the time where a rod isn't working.

The forecast was F#cked today as well. enviro canada said light (south of nanaimo) except 30knots south of Tsawwassen so I would have thought the mouth of the fraser would have some wind but it was flat calm this morn. Fishweather app also said gusts expected to 15kts for middle arm but either those gusts didn't show up or we headed in just in time to miss them. either way, glad I made the call to head out this morning. Was thinking of pullling chute given sketch forecast.

Hi Guys for weather for the sandheads/ T10 check out this link.. there is a light station at the sandheads that reports every hour on the hour.. i usually check this and look at the wind.. if you leave it up to just the South of nanaimo report you would never go out. As you can see right now there is a Strong wind warning but the actual wind at the sand heads is 7 knts westerly. IMAG0579.jpg

Caught this one on saturday at the T10 in @ 82ft in 200ft of water Green flasher pink hoochie.

http://weather.gc.ca/marine/weather...ns_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=14305&stationID=WVF

Back