O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Eastpoint, try trolling in front of The Grande both in tight and up to a half mile out.We had success there last Sunday.

Yup.....Fri/Sat were good for us at the Grande. Found a whack load of bait AND fish out front of the Hotel just north of Silva where the depth comes up to ~100. In pretty tight....and the screen lit up as did the rods.

Looks like the crowd is going to be at Grande this weekend. Might have to try and fish Trasher instead. Tides look good this weekend, hopefully the wind calms down. I am hoping to be on the water tomorow

If the winds calm down there will be good fishing. No local guides have been over due to the winds.

There will likely be fish at all locations. The best idea is to find the location where the most fish are.

Current Georgia Straight forecast for Friday 6th.

Today Tonight and Saturday
Wind northwest 15 to 20 knots diminishing to northwest 5 to 15 early this evening then increasing to northwest 15 to 20 near midnight. Wind diminishing to northwest 5 to 15 early Saturday morning then becoming light Saturday afternoon. Wind becoming southeast 5 to 15 Saturday evening.

Wind now is W 8 knots at Halibut Bank.

Looks good guys !!!

Beautiful trip over to Saltspring tonight ... spotted one killer whale outside Porlier that appeared to be angled to head up Valdes to Thrasher. Should have left Vancouver earlier and dropped the lines on the way.

I went across this morning. It wasn't real nice the first few hours. Tried going in a little closer but with the wind single handed it wasn't much fun. Spent a fair amount of time cleaning lines, a lot of crap in the water. It laid down later but nothing for me, not a single bite. Heard some guys did better, some not so much.. I packed her in early, before the afternoon change. I think that might be my last time across. Local should be picking up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
We ran across from Gibsons around 9:30am. A bit choppy and taking spray closer to Thrasher. We started alongside Gabriola between Silva Bay and Entrance and tried everything in my (admittedly limited) tacklebox and then went in to Pages to buy some anchovies. After getting the anchovies we trolled around Thrasher before heading back to the Silva-Entrance stretch. Not a sniff. Guess my first keeper salmon will wait for another day. Calm crossing back to Gibsons this afternoon. Beautiful day on the water though.

Incoming PM Pineapple.

i spent the afternoon at defence island again... decided to head back after a friend got one on friday.

reports for the area indicate 80 ft is the ticket in tight to the western island
no luck for me

Got it. Thanks

Heading out this morning for a few hours at the Defense Islands. If you see me call on VHF 16 to say hi.

Won't be out on the water today I'll be landlubbing it at a car show.

We where out yesterday , headed out around 6:00 drop some crap traps and headed across the strait. Ride was OK until we got about half way across and then it started getting ugly. Rough ride and pretty nasty wind coming down from the north. we setup up just off grande and within 10 minutes had our first hit. Didn't pull the pin but made some great long runs and then it was gone. Anchovy at 120ft was the ticket for that one. About 30min later we where trolling down towards to silva bay when I saw a massive bait ball at 120ft. I had just set my dads side the boat to 140 and leaned over and said you will have a fish in 1 minute. He looked at me and said no way and then bam his rod went off. 15 minute battle and we hoisted the years first above teen fish into the boat a nice 21lb red took an irish cream spoon. After that we had to abandon Grand due the crap in the water. trolled down to trasher, up to entrance and back down the coats line not a sniff for the rest of day. towards 10:00 the water calmed down and it was a beautiful day.

And it was cool to meet a forum member fishnwhenIcan in the morning at the marina!

Good job Marty! It was nice to meet you too, figured I would sooner or later as I walk by your boat each time. Maybe you've got it dialed in for the derby. I tried to setup in where you guys were but just getting the lines out without the boat getting into the crap just wasn't working out for me. Tried bait and hootchies which were working for me but not yesterday. Good luck next weekend!

Went over to Thrasher this morning at 0600 Hrs, the run across had a couple of Bumps to it... (1-2 chop). Started fishing in about 300ft water. Got a hit in about 15 Minutes and landed a 12lb Spring. Was down 120ft using bait (anchovies). Fished pass thrasher in about 500-600ft of water and got two more hits. Landed two more springs all around 15-18 lbs...depth was 120-125ft down all on bait.
Got another hit later but lost him....so came home with 3 fish.
The ride back was also a bite bumpy. Had a great time fishing today.

Saw a few boats out on the West Van shoreline in tight to Ambleside this morning on the low tide. Anyone from here? Would be interested if there were any hits locally.

seen a few reports on the other site of fish being taken off the QA last few days. Good sign

I tried Ambleside yesterday in the afternoon. Saw a few small bait balls but no hits. Didn't try chovies as I was out only spoons and hoochies. It's only a matter of time before it gets hot

Was out fishing this sat ,sunday , all of west van and the bell bouy , no hits yet ,just a massive sealion with a salmon in it's mouth today in west van .... went up to the cable pool in the cap river last week to see if any coho's are in ,i seen a good number of coho in there . Can't wait for the first Spring/ summer pin popper ! ... lol all warmed up :cool: . Cheers !

I fished West Van afternoon tide on Sunday, no bites no action...

No bait on the sounder, but the odd fish... pretty high up in the water column and on the small side... maybe coho showing up?

I hope it picks up soon... this is my first season fishing Vancouver instead of Sooke and it is a sad reality....

Back