O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Well bumpy ride last night over and seems to be a little foggy this morning, wait a minute it's just blowing like a *******, there must be fish here! Not sure what it's doing out in the straight but pages is breezy. Fill you all in in a while.

Yup....she is blowin. There ARE fish here....155 on the rigger, bait, krippled 602 head and if you bane a glo boogie man flasher missing the tape on one side.....,whack em and stack em. :D

Where abouts are you pippen, we are still at the dock, little slow this morning. Too much rum......

First time ever using downriggers today. Trolled from Pt Atkinson to Ambleside and back this afternoon. Got the gear tangled up in some crazy current when we turned around at Ambleside just after low slack. Must've been some funky current. A few other boats around but didn't see anybody having any luck.

Hopefully tomorrow is calm enough to head to Thrasher.

First time ever using downriggers today. Trolled from Pt Atkinson to Ambleside and back this afternoon. Got the gear tangled up in some crazy current when we turned around at Ambleside just after low slack. Must've been some funky current. A few other boats around but didn't see anybody having any luck.

Relatively big boat?

We were running the same area in an 18 foot Double Eagle and thought you were on to a fish, but then realized you were probably tangled in that nasty current.

Hopefully the wind calms down for you tomorrow.

Relatively big boat?

We were running the same area in an 18 foot Double Eagle and thought you were on to a fish, but then realized you were probably tangled in that nasty current.

Hopefully the wind calms down for you tomorrow.

We were in a 22' center console with a T-top. Pale yellow hull. I saw a boat matching your description shortly after so that must've been you watching us!

Any luck for you?

We were in a 22' center console with a T-top. Pale yellow hull. I saw a boat matching your description shortly after so that must've been you watching us!

Any luck for you?

That was us!

No salmon, good haul of crabs though.

Still haven't been able to lock in on any prawns.

Pineapple, if you found the current a little much off West Van wait until you get to Thrasher.

I offer you the following tips. Speed up for the whole turn, speed up before the turn and "own your balls" with a good angle on your cables. Turn gradually. Have your deep rigger in the inside of the turn.

Pineapple, if you found the current a little much off West Van wait until you get to Thrasher.

I offer you the following tips. Speed up for the whole turn, speed up before the turn and "own your balls" with a good angle on your cables. Turn gradually. Have your deep rigger in the inside of the turn.

Thanks for the tips. We were doing a lot of learning by trial and error today!

One thing that was working against us I think is that the downriggers are mounted mid-ships in gunwhale mounted rod holders. Tomorrow I may try running them further aft to see how that works. We couldn't turn too tight 'cause the lines would end up near the motor. I need to get this dialed before the fish show up!

Thanks for the tips. We were doing a lot of learning by trial and error today!

One thing that was working against us I think is that the downriggers are mounted mid-ships in gunwhale mounted rod holders. Tomorrow I may try running them further aft to see how that works. We couldn't turn too tight 'cause the lines would end up near the motor. I need to get this dialed before the fish show up!

Got some news for ya, May overall was on fire...although they have ahem... moved on from the more "fished" spots as of late to "less pressured areas". Still plenty of fish around.

On your boat, mount them 1-2 feet TOPS from the Transom and have them on at least 30" booms. 60" preferred and that should help you out a lot. There is a boat identical to yours at my Marina and that is how he has it set up.

Crank the rods over so you can see the bites. Take 'em off the clip when you see the bite, reel in and set 'me hard! FISH on!!!!

Got some news for ya, May overall was on fire...although they have ahem... moved on from the more "fished" spots as of late to "less pressured areas". Still plenty of fish around.

On your boat, mount them 1-2 feet TOPS from the Transom and have them on at least 30" booms. 60" preferred and that should help you out a lot. There is a boat identical to yours at my Marina and that is how he has it set up.

Crank the rods over so you can see the bites. Take 'em off the clip when you see the bite, reel in and set 'me hard! FISH on!!!!

Thanks again for the info. I'll move the downriggers tomorrow and see how it goes.

Where might one find some "less pressured spots"...

Hump was good until it cooled off, and our boat can't do the run across unless it is dead flat.

How was the water in west van. And around the freighters with all the wind today?

Last edited by a moderator:
Move the riggers as far back as possible. Gonna make a big difference, FM has given you good tips. 15 lbs cannon balls will help also if your not already running them.

spen the afternoon at defence islands, followed the 100ft 120 ft and 140 ft contour lines about -5 to 20 ft off the bottom... lost one cannon ball and two clips and about 65 ft of cable :( but got one sole in trade. 5 or so other boats in the area but no flashers up

Back