O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

I hope it picks up soon... this is my first season fishing Vancouver instead of Sooke and it is a sad reality....

Oh it will pick up. Our immediate local fishery gets going a bit later than Sooke, hence why most guys in the early season are fishing the Hump or Thrasher area. The West Van shoreline has some time before it turns on but soon enough everywhere from the Bell Buoy to Sandheads will be getting busy.

One thing to bear in mind is our local fishery can be finicky and frustrating. You can witness coho everywhere out off Ambleside....jumping, finning along the surface and with 50+ boats out there you will see the odd net out. Enjoy your quiet time there as it will turn into a shitshow soon enough. ;)

Enjoy your quiet time there as it will turn into a shitshow soon enough. ;)

Exactly - putting in the time to learn the bottom contour before I have to dodge 50+ boats... at least I will know where I want to be fishing once the mayhem starts.

Is the B Buoy / QA a better spot to be than West Van in early / mid June?

Trying to find something with the odd spring to tie me over until the run hits in July...

Is it worth running up to chase the Squamish fish?

I would certainly be looking QA/Bell this time of the year if staying local, on this side. Heck you could even start working around in front of the Fraser but West Van will be a bit before it warms up there.

The mouth of Englisg Bay has been kicking out some fish, and en route back from Thrasher we nailed a couple of nice ~20ish springs not far beyond the QA. In about 800' of water where it starts to come up and only about 100' down max.

I would certainly be looking QA/Bell this time of the year if staying local, on this side. Heck you could even start working around in front of the Fraser but West Van will be a bit before it warms up there.

The mouth of Englisg Bay has been kicking out some fish, and en route back from Thrasher we nailed a couple of nice ~20ish springs not far beyond the QA. In about 800' of water where it starts to come up and only about 100' down max.

Great info - thanks.

I will focus my attention at English Bay mouth and the QA.

I have been looking at that contour on Navionics when seeing boats there and wondered if there was fish...

Cheers.

Vancouver is basically a terminal fishery. That's reality. we do have our moments and back in the day when there was more feed around, we were a different story.

The ECVI has it's moments, but it's a different story chain over there, which we don't have here...bait, migration route, bottom structure, current structure, which holds fish for months at a time.

It won't be long when everyone is going to be scraping and working really hard over off the ECVI to catch a fish---it happens every year starting now. I don't call spending the whole day working bottom structure and applying yourself 100% of the time for 1-4 bites by 7-15 pounders particularly thrilling.

As much as we all like the ECVI fishery from a Vancouver standpoint, there are downsides of the trip for a fish or few:
namely: Wear and tear on the boat and engines, inherent safety risks to you and your crew, economics---for most headed over it is $100-$400 in fuel costs, etc etc.. When the stars and fish gods align for us Vancouver based anglers.

Well said FM. ;)

I guess we can't really call the odd abandoned crab trap around the Cap or Bell Buoy "structure" to hold anything but cannonballs and gear. :p

One piece of advice MHBradley....think BIG....you'll know what I mean when/if it happens.

Well said FM. ;)

I guess we can't really call the odd abandoned crab trap around the Cap or Bell Buoy "structure" to hold anything but cannonballs and gear. :p

Yep, get ready, landlines and booby traps will abound... Sigh...as if dodging sailboats, tug boats and other mishaps isn't enough...

Fishing around secret cove still a little hit and miss but if you put in the time you will get rewarded. Was out fir am and picked up two at Epsom and three at sangster. 21,15,11,9 and 9image.jpg

I think our local fishing is pretty good. QA has been really good this time of year in the past. Coho will fire up and then the springs will start to show followed by the sockeye mixed with springers

I think our local fishing is pretty good. QA has been really good this time of year in the past. Coho will fire up and then the springs will start to show followed by the sockeye mixed with springers

We're headed for a great summer Dave.

Better tie up a couple of Stella Hoochies as those work well in the next month here.

We're headed for a great summer Dave.

Better tie up a couple of Stella Hoochies as those work well in the next month here.
Uh I'll need a pic of that one, with a daughter named Stella I had better have a couple on board
post, pm or text me please :cool:

You guys and your pms...it's like your passing notes in Gym class. Don't bring it up if your not going to share it.:p
Read it again, one of the first options was post

Its like on Channel 88 A ...... SWITCH hahah

Don't worry. I have access to that channel. You are not missing anything!!! Can't say that channel has made a difference in my guests satisfaction...

Read it again, one of the first options was post

I read that the first time. Still waiting to see the picture, did you get your pm? Just joking by the way. I have yet to find anything that continues to out produce year after year. But if anybody does " call me on my cell".

I read that the first time. Still waiting to see the picture, did you get your pm? Just joking by the way. I have yet to find anything that continues to out produce year after year. But if anybody does " call me on my cell".

Yep, I LOVE that one and yes, we use that one.

I have a great story I would love to tell about the largest mouth in local guided sportfishing....lol lol lol....inside story.

Back