O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

I would be upset, and calling my lawyer if i were on of those boats with # showing ,for that reporter called the fishermen a poacher ,GLOBALY,how many uneducated veiwers globaly think your way of fishing is snagging now.

Reporter said all those boats were trying to snag a salmon ,didn't look like snagging to me.

It's not snagging, but it's pretty close to it. On average, over a 40 day period of trolling that area each each year as a guide I would foul hook at least 2 fish over that period...either in the gill plate, the fins or the tail.

Imagine all couple of dozen fish finning off the bottom.....dodging all those cables, cannonballs, lines, flashers etc...it's akin to tossing spinners in the Cable pool. Sooner or later those fish are going to take a swipe at it...some are going to miss...or slap as it with their tail.

Anyways, this fishery is a manufactured fishery created by a few Chilliwack Whites and then further augmented by most of the Vancouver Guide Fleet through their net pen program which releases 100000 smolts each May.

The Capilano-West Van Coho fishery has evolved from trolling with weighted lines or divers and mooching with small live herring to full blown downrigger trolling in deeper water specifically targeting Chinooks---this has become a big issue now...the Cap fishery for Chinooks directly conflicts with the Shipping Lanes.

Not long ago the regulation was that there was no fishing outside of a line from the North Tower of the Lions Gate to the Cap Light to the 15th Street Pier.

I think a line drawn from the 15th Street Pier to Siwash Rock would solve this issue...however, production would go down.

There is another option and that is to fish Point Grey to Sandheads.

In close quarters such as the Cap, if a rudder or other mechanical failure happened with a freighter....needless to say I don't believe 90% of the boats fishing the Cap in harms way would have their wits about them to get the hell outta the way..freighter horn blasting or not....it would take a sustained half throttle burst to squeak out of the way from a freighter....Asuming everyone else noticed and moved at the same time.. The enormous mass and momentum which would smash anything in it's path. Take the Horseshoe Bay Ferry crash a few years ago as an example....and the ferry has already been reversing...CRUNCH to all those boats.

Several years ago a freighter lost power and rudder just east of the Lions Gate...it took tide and a lot of tugs to get it off the bottom... That was a lucky one.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not snagging, but it's pretty close to it. On average, over a 40 day period of trolling that area each each year as a guide I would foul hook at least 2 fish over that period...either in the gill plate, the fins or the tail.

Snagging? I don't think so.

I can't remember ever foul hooking a fish in 30 years of fishing the salt in front of the Cap, but possible I just don't remember anything specific. Definitely not a common thing for me there.

I find I foul hook more Coho on spoons on WCVI than anywhere else.

I made into the video! And picked up one spring that morning. Would've been nice if they caught the solo fight & landing on tape.

Reporter said" hoping to snag a salmon".No fisher hopes to snag or foul hook .Sure single barbless hook means a treble , i don't use treble hooks,like you find on weighted cod jigs .From reports of tyee pools cr ,they feel the strike because the rod in hand and more often than not you feel two or three bumps before the strike.Fly fishers and spin casters and lake trolling hope to floss a salmon , would be upset if called a snagger .Simply i don't log alot of hours fishing, and if i can make time and money enough to fish any time of year i wan't to feel good about what i am doing and come home with a fish.

Snagging? I don't think so.

I can't remember ever foul hooking a fish in 30 years of fishing the salt in front of the Cap, but possible I just don't remember anything specific. Definitely not a common thing for me there.

I find I foul hook more Coho on spoons on WCVI than anywhere else.

I made into the video! And picked up one spring that morning. Would've been nice if they caught the solo fight & landing on tape.

I was talking to one guide just the other day and he has snagged at least 1 already this year...and another fish which took so much line it was likely a) taken by a seal or b) foul hooked (a snag).

Vancouver doesn't have a very large number of large fish which are capable of taking out a half spool of line in one run with the drag cranked down. A lot of people who say "I would have liked to have seen that one" and never saw it after it ripped out a ton of line probably had a foul hooked fish.

When I fished River's Inlet many of the hogs we mooched and didn't take out a massive amount of line relative to the smaller ones...even up in the Charlottes...generally...no.

Anyways, the reporter's choice of words could have been better, however, it's informal language and implies that the fish are reluctant biters and fishing there can be a grind.

I think as said before, that 'snag' is just a term used by a reporter that has no idea how to fish. Its just a poor choice of words but he was not implying unethical or illegal activity. He could have said 'grab a salmon' and this thread would be full of guys saying 'we don't grab salmon, that would be illegal..i have never seen anyone grab a salmon'....

time for me to visit / volunteer at the hatchery to help with seine or gill net broodstock .We grab lots of fish from the river and streams.

Guys, reporters are just reporters,they report on a specified article of interest or disinterest.They usually add their own expertise whether or not it warrants it,usually adding words to juice up the report to make it newsworthy [slang such as snagging rather than fishing]But there are those[mostly guides] who constantly push the envelope whether it's rules and/or the boundaries that are going to affect us all,by getting the cap area closed!Just to score a decent monetary gain from a client.

What does synonym mean - Answers.com

A synonym is a word that means the same or nearly the same as another word
IE: Snag or to catch

Hows that CVmike do you feel a bit better

i wouldn't put myself in harms way to say to the authority "just hoping to snag a salmon".i would end up with a day off work and indoors with a hefty fine and having to replace my gear.Snag in reference to saltwater/freshwater fishing regulations is a deliberate act to fowl hook a fish.Best to stay away from those who snag fish.Can snag things while fishing but its not part of your catch .

As I sit here in my home office.......I can hear a freighter going bonkers on the horn. Given where I live on Kits Point I am going to bet it's at the Cap as it was certainly loud!!! :p

Guys, reporters are just reporters,they report on a specified article of interest or disinterest.They usually add their own expertise whether or not it warrants it,usually adding words to juice up the report to make it newsworthy [slang such as snagging rather than fishing]But there are those[mostly guides] who constantly push the envelope whether it's rules and/or the boundaries that are going to affect us all,by getting the cap area closed!Just to score a decent monetary gain from a client.

mostly guides eh ? Ok. Interesting. Guides pushing the envelope...that last guide I know who pushed the envelope hasn't guided saltwater for years and he was notorious for having cruise ships and freighters cut the fish off...he's an acquaintance of mine and he took his lumps and changed his ways.

The guides are the ones who brought this fishery to YOU and us "guides" actually used to have few if any issues there... It used to be 15 guide boats and 20 frusterated sporties aka "weekend warriors" like those this weekend who come in and aren't listening to vessel traffic on Channel 12 and then sit there like a dumb butt when you can see a boat within a mile approach the restricted area... Then the Harbour Patrol & VPD show up, tell 10-20 dipsticks to move over the loud speaker and most don't move for another 3 minutes!!!

Anyways, i have been informed that there may be a major announcement coming about the Cap. hatchery this Friday and if it is anything like what it could be most are not going to like it.

Guys, reporters are just reporters,usually adding words to juice up the report to make it newsworthy [slang such as snagging rather than fishing]

True. I am glad the media didn't use some of the terms that have been used by a few on this forum for catching sport fish such as "slaughtered" .... ouch. Political correctness unfortunately has to be used at times if we don't want to send the wrong message about our sport . Even "nailed" is a term used which just makes me chuckle :D

But there are those[mostly guides] who constantly push the envelope whether it's rules and/or the boundaries that are going to affect us all,by getting the cap area closed!Just to score a decent monetary gain from a client.

"mostly guides" ?? Not what I have witnessed - every frigin boat was in there the other day when I was observing from Suzie breakwater for two hours. Always easier to blame the other guy, I know. ALL fishing Cap need to keep west of the light and turn as soon as possible near the light or the closure will eventually be moved to include west of 14th and fines will become common rather than a rarity.

On a very important note about Capilano Fishing and the Capilano Hatchery's future please go to the thread on Meetings etc !!! October 3rd is an important date.

mostly guides eh ? Ok. Interesting. Guides pushing the envelope...that last guide I know who pushed the envelope hasn't guided saltwater for years and he was notorious for having cruise ships and freighters cut the fish off...he's an acquaintance of mine and he took his lumps and changed his ways.

The guides are the ones who brought this fishery to YOU and us "guides" actually used to have few if any issues there... It used to be 15 guide boats and 20 frusterated sporties aka "weekend warriors" like those this weekend who come in and aren't listening to vessel traffic on Channel 12 and then sit there like a dumb butt when you can see a boat within a mile approach the restricted area... Then the Harbour Patrol & VPD show up, tell 10-20 dipsticks to move over the loud speaker and most don't move for another 3 minutes!!!

Anyways, i have been informed that there may be a major announcement coming about the Cap. hatchery this Friday and if it is anything like what it could be most are not going to like it.

LOL
get off your Pedestal dude..220px-Pedestal_(PSF).png
Some of us boat owners have been fishing there since the hatchery opened and the only guide around was Ted Peck.
Your bragging like you have special priviledge because u drive a guide boat..... give your ego a shake.

Back