O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

LOL
get off your Pedestal dude..View attachment 14327
Some of us boat owners have been fishing there since the hatchery opened and the only guide around was Ted Peck.
Your bragging like you have special priviledge because u drive a guide boat..... give your ego a shake.

I never implied otherwise there Cap'n....and Ted Peck....sigh....don't get me started....some of the stories my Dad and Grandpa could tell you about Ted......I won't even post them here as they do no service to anyone.....because most of them aren't pretty...

Guides break the rules too...no question about that... however it has been a long long time since I have seen a guide boat get ripped into about fishing in the no fishing area. .. And we're usually the first to be out of the "no fishing" zone as soon as we see ships and Harbour patrol coming.

Anyways...Cap'n Hook, I haven't seen your Gradyship out there this fall at the Cap...mind you I haven't been guiding...but in speaking with all my pals who are guides...nor have they ..so before you go pointing fingers at guides...get your boat off the dock, get your rods in the water and show us all how it's done...that may have been you out there this past weekend ...but there's another Grady out there like yours...almost identical in fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so typical Vancouver ...one incidence of something or even the possibility of it and the solution is just ban it. Just like the time I showed up at Spanish Banks with the kids and and an inflatable air mattress for them to have some fun on and some guy in a kayak wearing his Tilly hat cruises over to inform us that they have been banned at Vancouver beaches for safety reasons. Someones kid probably had a panic attack after having trouble getting out from under a mattress once and then the hyper parenting faction gets on their high horses to suck yet more fun out of this city. This hyper parenting movement has made the leap over to both our federal and local governments and why we so readily spend thousands of dollars every year to get the hell out of here and go somewhere more relaxed....somewhere that kids are taught from a young age that someone won't always be looking out for you and therefore there's real consequences in life to not heeding the warning of a ships horn. I was there on Sunday and there wasn't any mayhem what so ever....what a bunch of bunk.

This is so typical Vancouver ...one incidence of something or even the possibility of it and the solution is just ban it. Just like the time I showed up at Spanish Banks with the kids and and an inflatable air mattress for them to have some fun on and some guy in a kayak wearing his Tilly hat cruises over to inform us that they have been banned at Vancouver beaches for safety reasons. Someones kid probably had a panic attack after having trouble getting out from under a mattress once and then the hyper parenting faction gets on their high horses to suck yet more fun out of this city. This hyper parenting movement has made the leap over to both our federal and local governments and why we so readily spend thousands of dollars every year to get the hell out of here and go somewhere more relaxed....somewhere that kids are taught from a young age that someone won't always be looking out for you and therefore there's real consequences in life to not heeding the warning of a ships horn. I was there on Sunday and there wasn't any mayhem what so ever....what a bunch of bunk.

It wasn't mayhem, the issue is people fishing where prohibited.

If a problem does arise with a freighter or cruise ship, tanker, bulk carrier or whatever.. it's going to be a lot worse than this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_4G47rjXTwE

I guess we are to let natural selection take over?

The dipsticks who cut behind a BC Ferry...guess who was at fault? The idiots...but guess who got sued and lost? BC Ferries.

How about the idiots who sailed their sailboat between the tug and the log boom off a point Atkinson?

If the Police and Harbour Patrol aren't involved each day, I guarantee some dipstick will put their vessel somewhere it shouldn't be and there will be a major incident.

Just a friendly reminder gents, this is a fishing REPORT thread. Is anyone fishing or is everyone crying. I am a weekend warrior and I will be out there! Prawning, crabbing, and yes fishing! Anyone been out by the QA? Or is it just the Cap? Here's a question for all you masterminds. Can you tell a difference between a white and red spring before you actually bonk it and cut it open? I hear there may be a difference between veddar bound and harrison bound?? I will post a report after this weekend and yes I will avoid the **** show at the lighthouse. Again, anyone actually fishing??

Just a friendly reminder gents, this is a fishing REPORT thread. Is anyone fishing or is everyone crying. I am a weekend warrior and I will be out there! Prawning, crabbing, and yes fishing! Anyone been out by the QA? Or is it just the Cap? Here's a question for all you masterminds. Can you tell a difference between a white and red spring before you actually bonk it and cut it open? I hear there may be a difference between veddar bound and harrison bound?? I will post a report after this weekend and yes I will avoid the **** show at the lighthouse. Again, anyone actually fishing??
Great post! Clap, clap. clap...(hands clapping together)

agreed. someone is making some sense now.

Think about heading out this weekend.. Would you still head out to the cap? Has anyone recently had any success around the bell buoy, QA Point Grey area?

Think about heading out this weekend.. Would you still head out to the cap? Has anyone recently had any success around the bell buoy, QA Point Grey area?
I had success at the cap this time last year and will be there this weekend. That being said, a friend caught a spring off the bell bouy last weekend...

Know of a couple nice springs caught on Monday at the Cap but that is the only report I have heard. I am sure it will still be busy.....and if you want to let your guard down the Bell may be a nice spot to fish AND relax. :p ;)

Why put up with the BS around the Cap Mouth on weekends when South Arm - Twsassen is good for Springs, Coho and Chum right now. Fish em shallow guys, there's some good days to be had there yet. And no Crowds of guys that don't know what they are doing when in tighter area's.

We got spoiled with the Sox and decent Springs earlier. Now enjoy those cool days with nice fish and low numbers of boats ....... in specific area's , wink wink, ........ Many forget about this fishery, some will never forget it it can be so good.

HT

Why put up with the BS around the Cap Mouth on weekends when South Arm - Twsassen is good for Springs, Coho and Chum right now. Fish em shallow guys, there's some good days to be had there yet. And no Crowds of guys that don't know what they are doing when in tighter area's.

We got spoiled with the Sox and decent Springs earlier. Now enjoy those cool days with nice fish and low numbers of boats ....... in specific area's , wink wink, ........ Many forget about this fishery, some will never forget it it can be so good.

HT

Couple of questions as I've never fished the sands heads..
1. Where would you launch to fish this area? I have a 14-15ft Inflatable so I'd like to launch someplace close vs Ambleside or MacDonald :)
2. When you say fish them shallow do you mean in shallow water or just shallow depth (say 45-75ft)

Thanks for the help,
Marc

1-#2 Road launch in Steveston and run down the river.

2-Yup but you could go as shallow as 30' might end up with just shakers or you might just nail a hog it's a good area to drag a Deep 6 or the like.

Going in close to shore can be a real adventure it shallows up quite quickly in places but a flood tide will push bait in and fish will follow keep an eye on your sounder-be intrepid but not stupid.

Interesting point on the deep six... I've got 2 downriggers but the deep 6 are much easier in very shallow waters and I have a few from my pre-rigger days..

Saw some boats at HITW, but I wasn't fishing.

Anyone have a report from this area?

Would love to avoid the Sh*t-show at the Cap.

How high do tides need to be to get a 17 foot Double Eagle to the public dock at Ambleside?

Trying to decide if I can get picked up there for first light, or if I need to find my way to Burrard Civic to avoid any issues.

I won't be launching, just hoping on board a boat that is already afloat.

If you're just getting picked up off the pier/dock.....you'll be fine.

Have picked up people before and actually picked up on a 26' Grady before. Just watch depths but even at a low tide I am pretty sure you'll be fine to come in. Just come straight in at it or slightly to the right side as there is a bit more water.

I've never paid or noted tides when going in and out for pickups but never had a problem.

Back