O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Was using Anchovy, with a Glow head & Green flasher right on the bottom.
Got 4 hits that day, just got one nice Coho the rest just hit & ran.

You're forgetting millions of Chums-or haven't you learned how to catch them yet?

If you have it figured out in the Vancouver area saltchuck with bang on consistency...then have at it...

Lol. I'll pass. I catch them alright however it's really hard for me to justify burning 20-35 gallons of fuel depending on the day and the boat for a school of fish which may or may not be "hanging around" in 25 square miles of water. Unfortunately the best day I ever had for fishing chums locally was off Hooter...only 12 in 6 hours of cold October dew point trolling. Never mind the other 4 times I blew obscene amounts of fuel running down there from False Creek for zero-3 fish.

Paying guests also have zero interest in catching a sabre toothed zebra... Especially after bagging easy limits of Sox.

many guests even choke on black boot Chinooks off the Cap.

Local seine fisheries are targetted on short notice and the arrival of larger schools is monitored to justify economic feasibility of a commercial fishery.

chums are over rated....unless you back the drag off on the reels and use 15 pound mainline on 9 foot noodle rods. Just my .02 and I've slaughtered too many to count.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're forgetting millions of Chums-or haven't you learned how to catch them yet?

Carl:
You can be Fishmeister General at the Inaugeral Vancouver Chum Boot Fishery October 25 and 26 at MacDonald Beach.

Fireball, Sixpacks, Beef Jerky and your 2014 Sockeye Gear with 6/0-9/0 hooks are a requirement.

Carl:
You can be Fishmeister General at the Inaugeral Vancouver Chum Boot Fishery October 25 and 26 at MacDonald Beach.

Fireball, Sixpacks, Beef Jerky and your 2014 Sockeye Gear with 6/0-9/0 hooks are a requirement.

Haha i'm planning on fishing all winter , so is the chum gear of choice .. sock gear ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Went 2 for 3 on Springs yesterday. 1 right at high tide, one shorty thereafter. Saw quite a few others hooked/played. Bigger one was 14.
One was fairly dark, the other was not quite silver but not far from it.

Went out this morning, Rods in just before 8. First chinook (15lb white) in the boat by 8:20.

Beautiful morning out there. Flat water and warm sunshine.

Fished until 10, no other bites

Went out this morning, Rods in just before 8. First chinook (15lb white) in the boat by 8:20.

Beautiful morning out there. Flat water and warm sunshine.

Fished until 10, no other bites

Stunning this morning indeed at the Cap ... we were lucky enough to box a 28lb white male at about 715am and an 18lb white male at about 915am. Both on anchovies +/- 1 ft off bottom. Had one other solid hit that didn't stick. Both fish are destined for the smoker and for fish tacos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 721
Knew we should have cut last night short and got out there earlier!
Well done and some nice size fish guys.
We got out around 1pm and had to pack it in at 5pm with no love for us...just saw the one fish landed and must have been a coho as it wasn't a legal Chinook and they kept it.
Calmed down as the afternoon went on and was a nice day out there with some buds and a few brews.
Talked to a couple of guys from Oregon hauling out at Ambleside that had gone round to Horseshoe Bay area prawning and got 250 using four traps that soaked for four hours. Anyone know if prawning good year round?

Was just a short story on Global about at the Capilano Mouth. Basically showed the fleet of us out there fishing where we normally do which is illegal--- for part of the area we like to fish and they interviewed someone from the Harbour Authority and they discussed the safety aspect.

The Harbour Authority and VPD Marine Unit were out yesterday morning and were more ticked than usual.

Needless to say, if we continue to be an issue..."we" meaning everyone who fishes the area both "legal" and illegally by wandering too Far East and south, they may just make the "no fishing" area a lot larger and move it further west to the 15th Street Pier....

Basically, the way to look at it is this....NO FISHING EAST of a line from the Cap Light to Siwash Rock. The turnaround point is the Cap Light. On a flooding tide, troll EAST out deep, hang a U turn and then troll West to your hearts delight. On an ebbing tide, troll EAST shallow and then hang a U to troll WEST out deep. Remember that the bottom rises quickly when trolling EAST towards the light in the shallow troll...so make sure you give way to the folks who are closer to shore so they don't have to totally readjust their depths to make a turn.

Anyways, at this rate, if things keep going like this, we won't have this fishery for long. hopefully some Chums show up so it takes some of the heat off the Cap "no fishing" area.

Last time I was out the Harbor Auth and VPD were enforcing the line pretty hard,
was still lots of boats trying to fish the "pocket" even with their presence,
I think a lot of people fail to inform themselves on the boundarys there,
cap mouth should settle down a bit now with the oncoming season change.
ahh winter, my favorite time to be on the water.

FM I still have some spoons for you that your going to want this winter;)

Saw that on the news also, would hate to see this area shut down. My favorite fishery aside from weekend trips to gabriola maybe. I think it's a little over dramatic sometimes though, pretty sure people are going to get out of the way of four floating city blocks. Accidents do happen though I guess we should all make sure the turn out at the pin.

Yup, and if Kinder Morgan goes in then they'll be doing some dredging to get the real big boys in. And we won't be getting in the way of those ones.

Yup, and if Kinder Morgan goes in then they'll be doing some dredging to get the real big boys in. And we won't be getting in the way of those ones.

Could be going from 5 ships per(day/week/month?) to 34 was the figure I almost heard on the radio today.

Everyone knows the slot in front of the marker is the honey hole for springs and have fished it for ever. We were actually there yesterday when the Harbour Authority was corralling a few boats back past the marker....almost looked like he was pushing one straggler. Two cruise ships went out but they really don't seem to come that close to where we were fishing at all...seems at present no reason why we all can't get along but 34 a day...that's crazy!!
Big ships plow through the fleet off the Sandheads every day we were out there and no one seemed to need be out there to clear the way for them.

I don’t think that’s what he was implying its just a figure of speech from someone that doesn’t know much about fishing ......

Back