Northern Coho

KCW

What is the definition of a Northern coho: To my understanding it was a late running fish up to doulbe the size of main run and returning up to a month late due to the idea that they travel farther north. Some people think a coho with a hooked nose is a northern but all mature fish will get one.

theres no such thing as a northern coho. its a mis used and incorrect term used so often that people now accept it as a definition.

its term now days describes the big mature fish that show up that have hooked nose. they are actually just mature coho theres nothing northern about them except the fact they migrated past the north, just as every other migratory salmon does.
its no more correct than saying lets go get a big northern spring and northern pink.

(a bunch of us had this conversation on the weekend hahaha)

I love the mystic of the northern coho. It gives one hope of snaring a rare bird. The only coho that I ever caught that I would consider to be a northern was caught off the beach at King Coho. One of the most beautiful fish I have ever seen. It was 18lbs.;) eman

theres no such thing as a northern coho. its a mis used and incorrect term used so often that people now accept it as a definition.

its term now days describes the big mature fish that show up that have hooked nose. they are actually just mature coho theres nothing northern about them except the fact they migrated past the north, just as every other migratory salmon does.
its no more correct than saying lets go get a big northern spring and northern pink.

(a bunch of us had this conversation on the weekend hahaha)
Northern Coho sounds good! And I will continue to use the term when catching one!!!

some coho stay in Georgia strait all of their lives; others go past port hardy and out to the ocean where more food is available; and come back in late aug and sept and are a lot bigger than stay at home; these are northerns

Back