Nootka

Yes thanks again everyone
We are very excited about the trip to Nootka
A little over a month seems like an eternity
It will be fun exploring and discovering new to us fishing grounds
Any other info that may be handy to know would be greatly appreciated

going to nootka sound for the first time staying at Tuta 2nd week of aug
I have a 18.5ft boat how long of a run from gold river and is there a place I can store a trailer?
how is the fishing at that time where do we have the best chances for salmon and halibut ?
we usually fish from Toquart bay but the boat ramp and docks are closed so we decided to explore new to us fishing grounds
I don't want any honey holes just a shove in the right direction

Ebbtide. We have trailer our 17' boat and stayed at Tuta for the last 7 years. Usually on the last week of July; but this year we will be Aug 22-26. It will be good that you run your boat on the water first time; that way you can see the change in road conditions after you turn off the Tasis highway. Tuta has big private campsites, decent dock for your boat, and will accept reservations. Anything that Tuta does not have, you will be able to get at Critter Cove; you will have to get gas there anyways. We found our fish around the Friendly Cove light house in late July last year. Maybe we will see you there.

where can a person get diesel fuel in this area? (marine diesel, on the water...)

Just got back from our second trip to Nootka. Both time launched and picked up at FN dock in Gold River. It was a 0.7 meter tide the morning of pick up. Water was shallowest at 2- 2.5 ft right by the floatplane dock, but deepens to 8 ft once past same. We didn't want to try to pick up our 22 ft Grady because at that tide, the trailer could not be in deep enough water without having the wheel in the drop off that is the end of the concrete ramp. Boats could be launch since once the boat is off, the empty trailer can be easily pulled out. I suspect smaller, lighter boats can be pulled up into the trailer...

Did well fishing at Camel, the Wall, and Coopte point (?). Used a white/UV needle fish hootchie, trolling at 50-60 ft. depth at 2.3-2.5 knots. Saw lots of boats at Hoiss on the morning we left. I hope the gill netters will be gone by the time you get there. I think gill nets will be out on Tuesday. Should check to verify. We went out to Bajo twice because of good conditions but saw little salmon action. We did catch a 28# white king on a Irish Cream with a tail wagger that nearly spooled us. Had to chase him down with the boat. We did well fishing for hali's west of Bajo. Good luck!! Oh, no coho action out at Bajo yet.

Back