Nootka Sound - Spring and Summer 2012

Anyfishlldo!

I can's wait until Next Thursday. Sounds like things are warming up for springs?
We'll hook up for a beer this weekend to sort out the details for sure.

Anyone have any hali info they could share?

I am heading up to Cougar creek on sunday with my father, our first trip together in 30+ years, I am so excited to see him catch a fish, god willing and the creek dont rise we will do some catching, he has fished with me in Sooke but he is a bit afraid of the rough water, which is alot of the time in sooke.
any tips from the Nootka vets would be greatly appretiated!!!!

if the fish are around you will catch them... nooka can be hot one minute-dead the next. first morning at strange, we caught our limit in 2 hours with multiple double headers.. next day, one bite.

Anchovies and flasher! also... from a friend who lives up there - mackerel are in - so be prepared to switch to plastics and spoons... they will empty your bait box FAST.

I am heading up to Cougar creek on sunday with my father, our first trip together in 30+ years, I am so excited to see him catch a fish, god willing and the creek dont rise we will do some catching, he has fished with me in Sooke but he is a bit afraid of the rough water, which is alot of the time in sooke.
any tips from the Nootka vets would be greatly appretiated!!!!

It's extremely slow fishing in the sound right now in the last week or so. Not just me, but pretty much everyone. Nobody knows if the fish are just late or what. If you catch one or two in a day you're doing pretty good. Heard of the odd boat doing better than that but not very many. It's been rough as hell offshore lately with the big NW wind but at least there are fish there.

The fishing on the inside will perk up next week, it always does. Will be arriving on Sunday morning and first trip that afternoon.

Ill be heading up to ttuta marina next wednesday for two weeks 24ft grady with flags on my antennas give me a wave and hope fully i can share some info,good luck everyone and safe travels,hope it comes alive with smileys!!!!!!

tight lines
Billydoo

Ya you better get over there so you can get some fish in that boat there Hornet. God knows it doesn't happen in the local waters.LOL :D
Have a good trip bud and let me know how the floathouse is looking. Last i heard it was starting to sink :)

One week to go.. Guaranteed this will be the longest week of the year.. Might just have to take the the Monday and Tuesday off aswell to go through my gear over and over and over again..

It's killing me. Gear in the water on Wednesday.

Just getting the boat ready to go. Greased the trailer, adjusted the brakes, changed the coolant, engine oil and filter, leg oil, and what do I notice a cut in the drive shaft bellows. F&ck me, just starting to remove the upper gear housing now. Should be all back together in a couple hrs. Will be on the road at 3:30 am, short stop in Campbell River for fuel and breakfast should be in Gold River by 9-10 and at Hoiss Point Lodge by 11. If anyone sees the Surf Dancer give us a call. We will be there till Monday.

Just got back-tough fishing-not much in the main sound-odd one at Burdwood-lots of mackeral. Very odd behavior-the fish are either at camel rock or the Strange island/hoiss point area-none of the other areas-I fished them to stay away from the crowds-and I do mean crowds. The "bite" seems to be extremly early. If you are good at handling crowds you might do Okay. There is definitly not the volume of fish there usually is at this time. I used anchovy and 9 ft leaders and we limited-but We put in the hours and there was a lot of boredom between freight trains. If you are a cut plugger that was the ticket this morning at Camel. The fish are good size-we got one that just crossed thirty -the rest were 20 to 26 or so. The crowds were unbelievable-guess that's why I left 6 years ago. If you anchor in a popular anchorage and you and your buddy are anchored up Ok please do not block up the rest of the anchorage with unmarked floating crab traps-it tends to bring out the dark side of me and I prefer to keep that hidden. Popular anchorages are not the place to stratigically place crab traps so you have the anchorage to yourself!!! Especially illegal ones.

Just got back-tough fishing-not much in the main sound-odd one at Burdwood-lots of mackeral. Very odd behavior-the fish are either at camel rock or the Strange island/hoiss point area-none of the other areas-I fished them to stay away from the crowds-and I do mean crowds. The "bite" seems to be extremly early. If you are good at handling crowds you might do Okay. There is definitly not the volume of fish there usually is at this time. I used anchovy and 9 ft leaders and we limited-but We put in the hours and there was a lot of boredom between freight trains. If you are a cut plugger that was the ticket this morning at Camel. The fish are good size-we got one that just crossed thirty -the rest were 20 to 26 or so. The crowds were unbelievable-guess that's why I left 6 years ago. If you anchor in a popular anchorage and you and your buddy are anchored up Ok please do not block up the rest of the anchorage with unmarked floating crab traps-it tends to bring out the dark side of me and I prefer to keep that hidden. Popular anchorages are not the place to stratigically place crab traps so you have the anchorage to yourself!!! Especially illegal ones.

Nootka seems to have gotten a lot busier the last couple of years due to the reg changes. Being able to keep 1 over 77cm per day inside at Nootka draws a lot of people that would normally fish Esperanza Inlet.

That has something to do with it plus the sheltered water-ease of access via gold river and the chance to catch the fabled 50 pounder while giving wifey and the kids a little vacation. It isn't a seamaship,testoterone trip like Winter Harbour, Cape Scott, or any of the big water off-shore banks are. IMHO-LOL

That damn Internet. It filled the Fraser river up with etiquette challenged tools as well.

Back