Nootka Sound - Spring and Summer 2012

Just got back from Nootka -tell you what I saw and won't sugar coat it-was there from Tues noon until today at noon. Did not fish inside-more about that later. Fished the monument -lots of small springs and some reasonable coho.Pretty easy to get a coho limit but respectable springs were another story. Wed morning was very foggy but fishing was poor at the monument so jumped on the radar and went to Bajo-and just like the 5 days before -dead- no birds-no bait-coho. Hali's and lings were fine. tried Beano creek -along that shore-dead. Worked our way back to friendly cove-. Went out for the late night fishing behind the monument-using LED hoochys-lots of coho and very small springs-we had one descent sized Spring on. This morning fished Burdwood and got 3 to 20 lbs-2 on LED hootchies and one on a coho killer. Tried the Escalante shore-bait there at least but no action. So we get to Gold river ramp and a boat pulls in and tells us that they are slaying them at Camel rock and throwing 15 lbers back. I called a friend who came out of cougar creek last night and he went to all the campers and they all said it was very slow and few fish were caught. So what the truth is I don't know perhaps it switched on this morning-Striper Sniper and I had a great evening fishing at the monument last Thurs-but it was only that evening-normally the fishing stays pretty reasonable at the monument for at least a week or so as the run builds. Extremly puzzling the lack of fish at Bajo and the monument and I would love to know if it truly did turn on this morning because there are very few Springs in the outer sound. Yes I did see a couple taken and we certainly released a few legal
ones-but those fish aren't the run we are looking for.

We are heading in Friday night, not the report I was looking for... maybe the run will show between now and then... wind is not looking good for the offshore program though. I guess we'll be fishing inside for a few days anyway. Thanks for the update SF.

SF. Thanks for the report. I'm heading up on the 25th. Last year we went in August. I hope I didn't make a mistake going earlier.

No you haven't made a mistake-the fish should be there-if they are not then they won't be there in august either. Remember -I didn't fish on the inside- A boat with an older husband and wife said they were slaying them at Camel rock-they would have little reason to lie-my other source who was there wed evening said very few fish had been brought in to the cougar creek campground so he left wed night. The husband and wife could be right-I know there are a ton of fish at Ferrier-Island Fish Lifter is a guy who knows the right side of a rod and he is going fri-I'm sure he will give us the honest goods-if it is slow we'll just have to work harder -or drink more. Tight lines.

We returned from Nootka yesterday afternoon. Fishing by the lighthouse, we landed one 17 lb. spring and one 6 lb. coho. Released numerous small fish. We fished the highway with no success for salmon, but not bad for bottom fish. Four halis ranging from 15-27 lbs., six yellow eyes - the two largest were 12 lbs. each and two ling with the largest weighing 22 lbs. All were caught between 290 - 320 feet. Last day there, I had a very heavy hali break off on me after bringing it up about 150 feet. Tough reminder on re-tying knots each day. If anyone happens to catch one with an extra spreader bar hanging out of it's mouth, be sure to post the weight.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be fishing.

HV, when you fish for bottom fish off shore at Nootka, I assume you are drifting?

Yes we were. We hit the slack tide perfectly a couple of times and wind was light so it took well over an hour to drift about half a mile.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be fishing.

HV, I always wondered at Nootka if people drop the pick or drift. I'll give drifting a try in August when I'm up.

Any more fish showing up on the inside?

Heading up on Thursday for my first time to Nootka. Boat is too small to go outside, so hoping we will be able to find some inside.

By now San Carlos, Hoiss and East Side of Strange Island has to be producing fish. They are great safe spots to fish in a smaller boat....

Good to hear that fish are coming in with each tide. I'm heading up on Thursday as well. How far inside will they come by now? Any reports of fish being caught closer to Cougar Creek yet? Not likely I assume.

What size of bait is best in Nootka?

Back