Nootka Sound - Spring and Summer 2012

Fished Nootka July 13,14,15 and the fishing was steady.Fished the morning at the Lighthouse with good results,there was coho & spring activity not on fire or anything but we pulled a few in everyday,used purple haze anchovy at 70 plus feet which is deeper than usual but the water temp was quite warm.In the afternoon we fished Hoiss Pt,Salter etc and again it usually produced a fish or two.This was quite similiar for all the boats in our group.I had heard further in was quite slow.The other boats in our group all caught their fish on green teaser heads and we didnt catch one on that colour.Two fish that I checked the stomachs on,one had small herring in the belly,the other needlefish

Glad to hear the fishing is decent on the inside. Another newbie question... is there cell coverage at cougar creek? Might be important to keep in touch with the pregnant wife.

cougar creek

Hi there thanks for info over the last 2 weeks all, its been 25 years since I have been to cougar creek. (only 3 camp sites then)
Curious if there is water available there, the condition of the road (broke hitch off last time half way in) Is there still burning allowed.
Any one have any kind of map of all the aforementioned spots to fish.
Thanks Brian

Brian. I pm 'd you the holy grail of Nootka

Good luck. Last I heard was that the cougar road was pretty good. But logging trucks a plenty. Be carefull.

re cougar creek

Thanks coachman, very nice of you, many thanks really appreciate it. Lots of new towing parts on the moho and trailer, hopefully we make it in one go this time. Heading up thursday night, returning Monday. I will report to all whats up for us.

We too will be up the this Friday to Monday staying at Hoiss Point. It will be my first time in about 25 years, also and that time I had no clue really what I was doing or where we were fishing. Coachman if you would be so kind I could use some tips or help also. I had a general idea of the area just looking at a chart. We will be running the boats(2-23ft) down from Gold River, and another is going to drive part way in. Any updates.

casper, be sure to let us know what you think of Hoiss Point when you return. We stayed at Nootka Sound Resort and although I liked most things about it, we're thinking of trying Hoiss next year.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

casper, be sure to let us know what you think of Hoiss Point when you return. We stayed at Nootka Sound Resort and although I liked most things about it, we're thinking of trying Hoiss next year.

I sure will. Not sure what the usual deal is with the place, but we are staying there and they are cooking are dinners for us and we are on are own the rest of the time. The owner just passed away over the winter and they were a bit lost for awhile but they seem to be back on track. I must say they seem very friendly and have been very helpful from the day I first contacted them back in the early fall. I will post a full report when I return.

Hey Casper - I am up there (Critter) the same dates. PM your e-mail and I will send you an attachment with info.

You may want to check on that as the owner has passed away but his children are filling in this year for the bookings, next year may be a new story, like (for sale)...............that is what I heard

The Holy Grail

Brian. I pm 'd you the holy grail of Nootka

Good luck. Last I heard was that the cougar road was pretty good. But logging trucks a plenty. Be carefull.

I need to know what the Holy Grail of Nootka is! Heading there Thursday, staying at Cougar Cr for 4 days, then back home to my 1yr old and 3yr old. Not sure if I'll get any more fishing in this Summer!

I need to know what the Holy Grail of Nootka is! Heading there Thursday, staying at Cougar Cr for 4 days, then back home to my 1yr old and 3yr old. Not sure if I'll get any more fishing in this Summer!

There is no place quite like Nootka, in my opinion. Went there a few years ago as a rank beginner and caught amazing salmon. Now I go every year and catch amazing salmon. Spectacularly beautiful, accessible for small boats and lots of big salmon. I haven't fished everywhere on the west coast, but Nootka is the Holy Grail for me. Great choice if it might be your only fishing for the summer. Other fishing might disappoint after Nootka!

It's just a link to a ton of info and maps. Nothing magic. But quite detailed. I didn't write it, but happy to share.

Pm'd ya.

Back