Nootka sound report and comments

Knotty Seamen

Just returned back form nootka and it was damn slow we fished for four days only returning withe 8 fish between 23 and 36 lbs. The water on the inside was 64.1 deg and it was 51 on the outside. Not one of the fish we caught had anything in its belly. THere were three other boats that went up with us and most only got 3-5 fish on the whole trip.

Few of my buddies just got back from just north of nootka and were releasing 20 to 30 springs per day so i would think fishing in nootka will be very goood in the next week or two. Most fish were offshore but still reported good fishing at spring island. he also said that there was an abundace of large coho as well as some socks.

Spooled where were you fishing???? Every report I have been hearing is of guys getting 16-18fish a day and limiting out with ease..... i believe most of those reports were from outside though... so if you were fishing inside that might explain it!?

we fished both inside by critter cove at the mouth of the thasis inlet, san carlos, the lighthouse, beano creek, and the bajo reef and we were one of the very few boats bringing them in.

I also got back from Nootka recently (8/24 - 8/28) and found it spotty. My boat landed 10 springs total, and a friend went to Tahsis the same time frame and brought 35-40 to the boat. I have been going for years and staying at Critter where the same crowd reappears year after year, which allows you to know who is consistently good at catching. My observation was the good fishermen were scratching. There were some great reports by some who happened to be in the right place at right time outside, or the few who ventured up to Ferrier, but more reports where fishing was tough. None of the 3 boats in our group ever saw a strong bite with a net out every few minutes, but more the occasional fish. Sure, the Critter board was often full, but based on the number of fisherman (estimated at ~200) and effort, not good.

I just hope it picks up. Cameron, his staff and facility are great. Good luck. DAJ

Just got back from Nootka. Spent Thursday at the Light, too windy to venture further. Nothing for us, very few being caught. Ran out at first light Friday to the mouth of Espernaza Inlet. Windy offshore again, had to fish Rosa and the area around. Again darn slow. Fish at the cleaning table in Tahsis seemed to mainly come from offshore. Decided to end one day early, the wind just does not seem to want to cooperate this year. NW'ly always blows up for my days off.

Another note, in past years there always seemed to be a zillion boats at Hoiss Pt. Hardly saw a boat there this year, could attest to the fishing inside. Maybe a dozen by Bligh Island, more than at Hoiss.

On another note, if you were the moron that ran your boat (Mexican Name that I cannot remember) into the Campion at the Gold River launch, your lucky it was'nt my boat, YOU'D BE SWIMMING WITH THE FISHIES. Oh wait you already did, did'nt you when you jumped off the bow. I ran into the lady after, and you did not even apologize for hitting their motor and running their boat onto the concrete. Then if that was not enough, nice show you put on shouting at the other guys, who like the rest of us, had no idea what you were doing and I'm sure just want to get away from you. Launching and Pull-Out take time, there are lot of dollars on the ramp. Factor in a wait and relax a bit, this is suppose to be fun after all.

Just got back from a hard week at Nootka (July 28 - Aug 3). Fish are few to non existent on the inside. The few who can punch up to Ferrier, or 15 miles offshore are getting fish, but out of about 120 boats on Thursday AM at Tahsis inlet to Princess Royal point, we saw 4 fish caught in the 3 hours. Outside at Friendly and Wash Rock was a complete bust for all who spent the afternoon. The fish have to come in sometime, but it may take a few weeks by the looks of it. Wish I could be more positive, but this is the truth.

Drewski

Just off the ferry, everybody we met that went to Nootka were sad faced. if you have'nt left yet, go to Port Hardy. We did very weel there.

Day trip yesterday, and back out Tuesday to Friday this week.
Picked up two at first light around the lighthouse and then nothing until 4:30, and picked up 5 in an hour on the inside including one double header.
A little scratchy for this time of year but there are fish around.
Be patient and trust your gear. Picked up everything on long leaders (8 to 9 feet with anchovies. Teaser heads and flasher colors didn't seem to
make a difference.
All were at 30 to 55 feet.
Saw Sea Wolf a couple times, too.
Will post on Friday what comes of this week.:D

Hey bluorca going to be up there from thursday to monday wondering if you have herd anything about ferer PT. And also wondering what you ment by inside dont mean to pry info from you but its my first trip to nootka. any size to your fish?

Went up to Tahsis on July 29 and 30th with my girlfriend, first time fishing the area, went out to the mouth of esperanza inlet. Fished a couple of rock piles north east of blind rf.Cut plugging in tight to the kelp beds in 25-45' of water we landed 7 spring 21-25pnds. In the two days of fishing probally shaw 30 springs landed around Gillam channel and esperanza inlet,with the biggest being around 30.Awesome place to fish if the weather is good, reminds me of where I guided for several years up north. My dad headed back up to his house in Tahsis today with two buddies for 5 days. I will post a report when they get back. Question for anyone,I hear everyone talking about the highway, but unsure where it is?

Hey Blueorca I gotta pay more attention what boat were you in, where did you see me?

By inside, I meant to say, Hoiss and Argonaut.
All the big boys were coming in, nothing we hooked up were less than the high twenties with three over the 40's.
Too windy to head out much past Bajo although those that did were limited in a couple hours.
Get your fishing in until the 14th. 15th and maybe the 16th, as the seiners are setting to come in, which will put a damper on the fishing (inside) for a bit.
This week should really pick up as we should get some rain tomorrow and Wednesday and then a nice high pres. system sets in.
Seawolf, saw you everywhere... I run a 18 foot dark blue Lund with a blue canopy.

Back