Nootka sound / Esperanza reports Spring/Summer 2013

much appreciated, always looking for something new to try, rigging own stuff is the only way, then ya cant blame anybody but yourself!

Well my dad just got back from cougar creek yesterday and said the springs on the inside were starting to show up in good numbers. He couldn't get to the outside for very long due to my brother getting sick, so they hung around the inside the whole time. Nothing big, a couple mid twenties and a pile mid teens, no Halibut to speak of which was the reason for the trip. Hope it's good when I get there in a couple of weeks.

just back from nootka, great times and great accommodations at critter cove. Fishing was fantastic all 4 days. We caught lots of fish inside but the one day we fished the rocks off the lighthouse it was stellar, caught and released 20 + fish on plugs or coyote spoons(easy releases), lots of wild coho and 12-18 pound springs, we never caught any hatchery coho but they must be there.
Our biggest fish kept was around 26 and most others hovered around the 20 pound range
The elusive 30lb + has evaded us for 4 years now, maybe next year.
Gear that worked best for us was a silver and green coyote spoon and 5 inch 602 plugs and of course anchovies.

Just got home from working with a couple of groups and stayed with the great guys at Chinootka Lodge again. Fishing was very good for us. The first group was in for 3 days and they played 48 springs and kept their 8. Largest was 28 lbs. Only 1 8 lb Coho from Starnge Isl. Tried to get offshore for hali but myself and one other lodge boat turned back after battling big seas for 10 miles...about 4 miles short of where we wanted to go. Just wasn't worth risking it for some fish. It blew 30 gusting 43 mph off Estavan for 2 days. The 2nd group fished 2 days and took home 13 springs out of a possible 16. Largest was 26 pounds. They dropped quite a few the first day as 3 of the 4 guys had never fished the ocean before. We fished San Carlos, the Wall, then found an awesome afternoon bite over at Strange Isl one day and finished off with a stellar morning down in Tahsis Inlet. Fish were 30 to 40 feet early in the morning and then often 45 to 60 in the afternoon. No macs this year so fished anchovies almost exclusively. A custom green Oki flasher and custom green teaser setup was on fire the first 3 days then turned off. Purple glow Hot Spot and the purple flash teaser or the same flasher with the 602 teaser then head worked best. Lots of jellys so you had to check your bait often to clean off the snot. Great trip as always. Was told the Moucha bought $20k worth of quota and the boats who bought it are anchoring up. The Chinootka crew passed on quota and are hali fishing on the drift this season to stay away from the big flatties.

How long were your guys leaders from the flashers ? How fast were your trolling ? Did you have a tight or loose roll on the anchovies ??
Going there next week myself for a week so looking for all the intell I can get , so thanks in advance for your posts and replies !!
Clint

just back from nootka, great times and great accommodations at critter cove. Fishing was fantastic all 4 days. We caught lots of fish inside but the one day we fished the rocks off the lighthouse it was stellar, caught and released 20 + fish on plugs or coyote spoons(easy releases), lots of wild coho and 12-18 pound springs, we never caught any hatchery coho but they must be there.
Our biggest fish kept was around 26 and most others hovered around the 20 pound range
The elusive 30lb + has evaded us for 4 years now, maybe next year.
Gear that worked best for us was a silver and green coyote spoon and 5 inch 602 plugs and of course anchovies.

Great report SK01 , what size were your Coyote spoons ? How deep were you fishing

The Chinootka crew passed on quota and are hali fishing on the drift this season to stay away from the big flatties.
:cool:

nice!

Heading back to Nootka until September in the morning. I'll keep you posted as I have 39 strait days of fishing. Let's hope for some calm seas offshore to light things up.

The Codfather

Just returned from Nootka.
The Bajo reef area infested with Coho during our stay, couldn't find a Chinook there as we couldn't keep the Coho off. Bigger spoons and plugs didn't seem to help the situation.
Probably sifted thru 20 Coho to find 1 hatchery fish, don't like to do that with such a high mortality.
Did manage a limit of Chinook on the inside, avg 24-30lb, a little bigger than the previous couple of years.
Anchovy was the most productive by far, bite at first light most productive time.
Area around Hoiss Point very reliable during our stay.
Perfect weather made it a most enjoyable stay at Critter Cove.

Yep, heard from the guides in camp that the Baj was full of Coho and you couldn't fish springs...just too many and very few hatch....so stayed away this year. I fished right across from Hoiss the first few mornings and saw the flotilla working back and forth. It was there if I needed it but was happy to be catching fish in much less congested waters.

We returned Saturday and had limits of springs and too many coho to count. I found the coho killer was very effective for both and matched the bait the fish were feeding on very well. Make sure you put the proper bend in it after a good fight as many fish were straightening it out. good luck. DAJ

Attachments

• IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 680
Dance a jig, looks like a good match to the bait. Heading up Saturday for a few days. Were you fishing inside at Nootka? This will be my first trip up in August. Normally fish July and at Esperanza.

Dance a jig, looks like a good match to the bait. Heading up Saturday for a few days. Were you fishing inside at Nootka? This will be my first trip up in August. Normally fish July and at Esperanza.

we fished inside and out. with the inside fish, there wasn't much feed inside their bellies, but outside they were stuffed with above photo. I would suggest not trolling around a big pilchard spoon or plug as that isn't the feed they are currently on. good luck. DAJ

Get back to work Elmer. That was my bro. in law's old smokey, not my F250

Nice to see the reports of springs moving inside. Heading up on Monday for the annual August trip with Jayhu. Going to do some old school jigging this year inside of Friendly for a bit. Still has any coho open by the islands and has been good in the past. A few hundred metres means you can keep the wilds. Looking to assault with chovies with purple flash and heads aswell as 602 and 608 plugs of various lengths. Might have to throw out the three inch all silver ribbed spoons for the coho aswell. Tight lines.

Also say hi. Will be three of us most of the time in a beige with burgandy stipe Campion. Yes it's the classic 80's with a 70 Johnson. Retro A GO GO.

Heading there for the 15th of August, a little later than I originally planned. Will the action still be good that time?

Back