Nootka sound / Esperanza reports Spring/Summer 2013

Yeah, we were the guys in the little 20ft campion from Alberta. You told us about the "G" spot.

Anybody on the forum fishing Nootka area Labour Day weekend?

I've never fished there that late

Any thoughts ?

Hey scouse and wildside I think you miss understood me I have no problems with this commercial fishery.But my limit is a possesion limit of 4 fish not 9600 and also I was told it was for 4000 so I was kind of shocked about the over catch quota but if what you say is the real goods then they should have cleaned out the whole sound and got there quota.Everyone has to eat and pay bills were all in this together and im assuming that you are commercial fisherman like a bunch of my friends... Also i did say it didnt effect the fishing there were alot of fish there for everyone...

tight lines
Billydoo

Hey scouse and wildside I think you miss understood me I have no problems with this commercial fishery.But my limit is a possesion limit of 4 fish not 9600 and also I was told it was for 4000 so I was kind of shocked about the over catch quota but if what you say is the real goods then they should have cleaned out the whole sound and got there quota.Everyone has to eat and pay bills were all in this together and im assuming that you are commercial fisherman like a bunch of my friends... Also i did say it didnt effect the fishing there were alot of fish there for everyone...

tight lines
Billydoo

I am a sport fisherman, i believe in fair play not inflamatory retoric. Your personal limit may be four, but as you are a defacto commie yourself taking guests out 37 days straight . You probable killed more fish than the average gillnetter. They had a 110 fish average. Your boat was only limited by the number of guests.

tight lines
Billydoo

Hey Greenhornet I am just stating what we were allowed to catch and what we did catch. It just seems that whenever we get an opening a bunch of complaining follows. I am a commercial fisherman, sports fisherman and also own 2 restaurants in Tofino I rely on a healthy sports fishery and the people that come to the west coast with their own boats and those that go on a guided trip. I also rely on a healthy commercial fishery to supply the restaurants to feed the people. I wish there was a way to find common ground between the various sectors and we could all work together to ensure a healthy fishery in the future instead of finger pointing and arguing. I didn't fish in the Nootka fishery this year as I didn't lease an Area D license but purchased 100 fish that ended up in 8 restaurants on the west coast.

Good luck & good fishing
Jeff

Hey scouse
I fished with two freinds the first week so yes we caught alot of fish but only kept 8 for them and for your information I didnt bring home one fish of any species absolute zero!!!!! Not even a hali... you can check my freezer nada!!! I guess it seemed like I killed alot but the truth is the opposite.For the rest of the time guests came up for 4 or 5 days at a time so it wasnt even close to the numbers your thinking I can understand how you think but the truth is you dont have a clue about the facts just like I didnt know the true facts of the com fishery...and that was my bad.. alot of sporties dont either!!! Im actually one of the guys who thinks there is a need for com fishery unless the stocks are seriously in danger then no one should be fishing!!!!!!There really is alot of finger pointing going on..I personally like to eat fish in restaurants as long as its wild so where do you think it comes from????? Should have made my original post alot more detailed so there isnt a backlash I was trying to give guys a good report so they can get excited about going on there own vacay and have something to look forward to...nothing worse then reading your going somewhere where the fishing is dead after all the hard work and money one spends to get ready for a trip...

Jeff
This debate has been going on for years as you know its to bad the members of all the groups cant work together...thanks for reply wish you all the success in your endeavours sounds like your a busy guy send me a pm with your restaurants name and Ill tell alot of people where to eat in tofino,your right it is all about the future stocks so future generations can enjoy the same experiences...

tight lines
Billydoo

Hey scouse
I fished with two freinds the first week so yes we caught alot of fish but only kept 8 for them and for your information I didnt bring home one fish of any species absolute zero!!!!! Not even a hali... you can check my freezer nada!!! I guess it seemed like I killed alot but the truth is the opposite.For the rest of the time guests came up for 4 or 5 days at a time so it wasnt even close to the numbers your thinking I can understand how you think but the truth is you dont have a clue about the facts just like I didnt know the true facts of the com fishery...and that was my bad.. alot of sporties dont either!!! Im actually one of the guys who thinks there is a need for com fishery unless the stocks are seriously in danger then no one should be fishing!!!!!!There really is alot of finger pointing going on..I personally like to eat fish in restaurants as long as its wild so where do you think it comes from????? Should have made my original post alot more detailed so there isnt a backlash I was trying to give guys a good report so they can get excited about going on there own vacay and have something to look forward to...nothing worse then reading your going somewhere where the fishing is dead after all the hard work and money one spends to get ready for a trip...

Jeff
This debate has been going on for years as you know its to bad the members of all the groups cant work together...thanks for reply wish you all the success in your endeavours sounds like your a busy guy send me a pm with your restaurants name and Ill tell alot of people where to eat in tofino,your right it is all about the future stocks so future generations can enjoy the same experiences...

tight lines
Billydoo
I stand corrected,

Just for the record… that particular area open to the commercials is a hatchery enhanced “put and take” fishery. There is absolutely no reason for that area not to have a commercial opening, plus the Nootka river system can NOT even support the number of returning Chinook.

If this thread was to ***** about commies and sporties maybe we would find out what the fishing is like in this sticky. Just sayin.

Be interested to hear how you do so late in season up there SSFishing. Seems Nootka empties out the last week of August. Not sure why, but, may be related to run timings. Look forward to your report...

Now that the netting is over-they should do well from the Hsnit in. I have had good fishing as late as the 12th of sept for springs and later for coho. Everything is rain dependant!!! Good Luck all and keep those slickers handy!!LOL

I'll be just to the north in Kyuquot.....I know it's gonna be hit or miss. Have a buddy who guides up there and I think it was 2 years ago on Sept long they had nothing for guests anywhere and the guides were just out hitting pretty darn big for an "average" size of fish. The norm was 28-32 I think he said with a few up to 40 mixed in.

Found some bright ones :) Hit a Coho at Burwood, and after the lull, we moved into Tahsis (behind Strange) as the wind picked up in the afternoon and buddy said Tahsis was his "go-to" spot. And it didn't disappoint. Within 15 mins I landed a spring, lost another at the boat 5 minutes later then hit 2 wild Coho within minutes of each other. It was a flurry of activity. Then as quick as it came, it left :)

Next day we had fun near Camel Rock.

Couldn't believe our luck with the weather - it didn't rain the whole two days we were on the water.

Any of you guys/gals fishing up "north" Island care to share what's been working for you?

I was hoping to pull large spoons or plugs.....or larger bait to "try" and keep the coho away and will reluctantly troll plastic if I have to. :p

If WH is close enough-the large tomic and gibbs pilchard spoon pattern did well as did the-medium tomic plug in 509(I think) light blue and hazy white which I put pilchard dots on. Know you don't want rubber but the double glow green splatterback with a red bead in front and a white cuttlefish with a white double flash LED almost made me give up chovy's. Hope that helps-go deep early!!! (if you're off-shore)

Back