Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Well fishing sure has become red hot with lots of halibut being landed in 140-150 feet of water, the biggest of the year came in today @141lbs with lots in the 60 to 90lb range. Springs are now abundant and getting larger with two 38's coming in today as well as more and more tyee's. As for coho there are so many out there its tough to get through them to get to the springs so bring lots of bait! 6" chovies are working the best for springs and salmon bellies and heads still the ticket for halibut. Cop car spoons and purple haze or the milky blue hootchies are also working well for springs.

Cheers My Escape

never fishing nootka before, what kind of rig do you have to have to fish it? Are the hot spots (lighthouse) realitively sheltered? and do you have to go offshore to get into most of the fish? i haea 16.5 foot boat with a 75 and i feel pretty good in 3 foot or so seas(although not alot of fun) not a safety issue and im wondering if i can get into fish with that rig?

never fishing nootka before, what kind of rig do you have to have to fish it? Are the hot spots (lighthouse) realitively sheltered? and do you have to go offshore to get into most of the fish? i haea 16.5 foot boat with a 75 and i feel pretty good in 3 foot or so seas(although not alot of fun) not a safety issue and im wondering if i can get into fish with that rig?

You'll be fine. You can fish Burdwood or the Lighthouse for sure and sneek offshore weather permitting. There should be confirmation of inshore fish from someone soon as well. I have a Boston Whaler tender and have fished everywhere there but offshore. Go!

Ill be at critter cove from the 18th to the 22nd with three teenage boys. 21 foot trophy, "hootchie momma" on channel 68.

Tahsis report

My guide friend in Tahsis is reporting many runs are 1 to 3 weeks early.
I am headed there for August 11 to 14 and he said that there should be giant Coho by then.

There is always a fight to get the gear down past the Coho to get to the Springs.
I remember at the end of one trip, I was pulling in the gear and reeled the line in slowly and a large Coho hit the gear as it was coming up after it came out of the downrigger.

A few times in August, looking behind the boat you can see 10 or 12 Coho finning on the surface.
I've even bucktailed a spoon 20 feet behind the boat when someone is playing a Spring on the other side.

It's pretty exciting to watch the Coho hit the spoon on the surface - swirl, swirl, bam, fish-on!

Most of the bigger Chinook happen later in the summer.
I believe that the Columbia run has a bunch of 5 year fish returning.

Has anyone noticed the colour difference in some Chinooks?
Most have a purple sheen to them but last year I noticed for the first time a coppery colour instead of purple.
Any ideas as to this difference?

Arriving at Critter Cove Thursday morning. Only two more sleeps! Can't wait. Get to try out my new old boat for the first time! Looks like things are going to be spectacular this year.......

Holmes, I was at the Vancouver Island Music Festival this past weekend, enjoying the sounds of Alison Kraus, Randy Newman, Albert Lee, John Jorgenson, Arrested Development, David Crosby and on and on and on. What a weekend! Now I have had my fill of Music and Whisky, it's time to haul the boat to Nootka for Friends, Food, Fish and Whisky! My boat was still in Victoria when I got home so you may have seen my old whaler -:). Are you going to be at Critter Cove this year, or did I read somewhere that you are now working at the Gold River restaurant we always stop at?

Again, looking forward to hanging out with our neighbors to the North, in God's country! may even catch a fish or two. Sorry to hear Mr. Holmes wont be a critter this year. You will be missed!!

See the rest of you on the 1st! WooooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

We started our countdown to Nootka around November of 2010, when we paid our deposit. its almost time and I can barely sleep!

-FB

Found this forum looking for reports as my son and I are headed to Rodgers Fishing Lodge the 17th through the 20th. Here is to hoping the great fishing holds! Any advice on what to bring/pack for the trip would be appreciated. Not bringing my boat this year but maybe next year after I have a chance to learn from the gang at Rodgers. Thanks in advance for any tips.

I have never fished Bajo and want to give it a try this weekend I see on the charts there is inner Bajo and just Bajo Reef.is one preferred over the other?different fish?
Thanx

Back