Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

usually earlier in the morning the better, or later in the evening say around 5 or 6 pm...but its pretty protected, having said that tho, it can really get rough and usually does in the afternoon as the wind picks up...depending on yer speed it should be around 1.5 hrs...holmes*

watch the tide at the gold river ramp tho as well, not sure of your boat but the bare minimum you want to launch is 1.3
X2
That channel can get down right rough "and usually does" in the afternoon as the wind picks up - A lot of chop! It probably would not be a pleasant experience for a young family mid afternoon! Once you turn towards and get into Hanna Channel it flattens out quite nicely.

As far as the launch be careful with that 1.3', if you have an outgoing tide. It really does depend on the boats draft. I draw 1.8', so "I" can (and have) sneaked out on just about any "incoming" tide where there is enough water to launch. 1.0' tide gives 2.0' water at the seaplane dock (according to the chart), which is the shallowest part. Stay closer to the north shore of the river and that seaplane dock and it is deep enough, just don't hit the planes. Mid channel in the river at zero tide, just north of the seaplane dock used to be about 1' foot. At 1.3 that gives 2.3' feet there, which for most is more than enough; however, don't know how accurate the charts are anymore... didn't they dredge that area last year?

Thanks Charlie. We leave Tuesday early and will watch the tide. Hopefully on water by 7. First time up there hope the fishings good. We are actually going to Flynns Cove. Little further than Esperanza. Hoping the weather cooperates for fishing and some beach combing.

Thanks Charlie. We leave Tuesday early and will watch the tide. Hopefully on water by 7. First time up there hope the fishings good. We are actually going to Flynns Cove. Little further than Esperanza. Hoping the weather cooperates for fishing and some beach combing.
I think you will like "Flynns Cove"! :)

Let us know what you thought of Flynn's.....may look to heading there in August!

Had a great day yesterday, fishing offshore. Lots of hali still in relatively shallow water 150-200 ft. Found lots of pinks offshore too. Good hali bait!!!

question? I used to fish nootka and my favorite spots were hugging shoreline. will the dfo open up the monument and maquinna point for slabs sometime this year? or is that area completely closed for good now (77cm and under)? man I had some great times nailing fish coming along the beach at the monument.

What is the chances they are going to change the rules to at least one under and one over up in Esperanza? It would be sure nice if they did, seeing that most of the fish we caught were well over that and commercial boats going threw.

Hootchyman,

X2 on the comment that you will love Flynn's Cove. Ann and crew are neat people. Be sure to check your charts as there is a shoal RIGHT off the end of their dock. They have it marked, sort of, with red floats, but frankly they just confused me the first time I went there ( thought they were marking where to go, not where NOT to go :( ) , and my brand new stainless props got a polish. Luckily there was just enough water over the shoal that I did not damage them enough to ruin the trip.... Good luck, we will be there the 28th.

CR

Hello Everyone..... Been crazy busy with a full house and over 12 boats hitting the fishing grounds daily. Although the rainy weather has been a bit much the awesome fishing has more then made up for it with many boats coming in with large numbers of fish. Coho's are hard to keep off, Chinooks are growing in numbers and size average between 14 and 28 lbs. Lingcod up to 45 lbs and most Halis coming in are between 35 and 80 lbs. Ferrier, Pin Rock, and the cans have been hot on the tide change and bottom fishing out at 4 mile pinnacles is the hot spot for bottom fish unless you want to venture out further for the hogs.... Gear of choice coho / almost anything, Chinook / 6" chovies, Halibut / Salmon Bellies and Heads plus herring too. Will post some pics soon !!!!

Cheers My Escape

I am heading up to Nootka Aug 12 - 15th and staying at Moutch Bay RV. It is my first time there although there are some other friends that will be there at the same time who were there last year. I have been reading as much as I can about the area and the fishing grounds but any advice, tips, recomendations, would be greatly appreaciated. For example I understand that there is alot of good salmon spots not far from the resort...is there also decent halibut fishing near by? I assume for halibut you have to go off shore but how far from Moutcha Bay is that?

Any information helps...looks like a beautiful spot for fishing.

Thanks!

I am heading up to Nootka Aug 12 - 15th and staying at Moutch Bay RV. It is my first time there although there are some other friends that will be there at the same time who were there last year. I have been reading as much as I can about the area and the fishing grounds but any advice, tips, recomendations, would be greatly appreaciated. For example I understand that there is alot of good salmon spots not far from the resort...is there also decent halibut fishing near by? I assume for halibut you have to go off shore but how far from Moutcha Bay is that?

Any information helps...looks like a beautiful spot for fishing.

Thanks!

I've stayed at Moutcha twice, so still learning and my boat doesn't do offshore. Others will have more to say, but here is what I know. #500 (blue glow) anchovy heads, plain white hootchies, 5.0 watermelon coyote. Troll shallow and close to shore mostly. I 've got fish around the corner and along the rocks from Princess Royal Pt. to Argonaut Pt. and at Hoiss Point on that side; along the rocks between Galiano Bay and Three Cove Bay and at Camel Rock on the other side. My favourite place to fish is at Burdwood because the fish are brighter and it's real westcoasty rather than like a big lake, plus the fish actually feed there, while they seem to all have empty bellies farther in. Some guys pick a little hole along the shore and just keep making passes. I would rather move around and learn some new spots, because there are many many I don't know. There are crabs and prawns close to camp. The fish right by camp will be pretty dark. I'm hoping to go again about 10 days before you. It's about an hour to Burdwood or the Lighthouse in my boat (22 mph).

I meant a #500 Krippled Anchovy head that is the same as the Tomic plug. This site has them numbered in a kind of Tomic ripoff. Mine are blue and white but this site says they are green. (you're right, not glow Holmes).

http://www.cwcab.com/krippcol.htm

Hello Homes
Black Forest? Can you provide a number or picture please? I'll bet I have one or maybe even 2 if it is the one I am thinking of.
Thanks
H.E.H.

Thank you kind sir. That is the one I thought it was. I have at least one in the plain finish however I have yet to give it a try.

H.E.H.

Back