Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Hey Holmes, we are coming up for a Coho trip on Thursday Sept 8th. Hope some big ones move in.

Where would be the best place to collect my $100 for my Canucks kicking your teams butt last year. I sent you a PM but no reply.

Or you can always drop it off at Pete's this week.

Enjoy it while you can there codfather, because it won't happen again and it never should of happened last season.:p;) eman

Do you have any suggestions for late September fishing and prawning. I am staying in Thasis and have not fished this late in the season before, so could use some advice.
All info would be very helpful.
Thanks
Wayner

Thanks Holmes.

eaglemaniac take your head out of you #$&%@. They will be there this year again. Who is your team?

wayner, Sept 1st Coho opened up to 4 per/day and you can keep wild ones anywhere. You should fish Rossa, Ferrer or out as far as 4 mile. You should be able to load up in any of those spots. Remember no Halibuts they are closed.

Thanks Holmes.

eaglemaniac take your head out of you #$&%@. They will be there this year again. Who is your team?

wayner, Sept 1st Coho opened up to 4 per/day and you can keep wild ones anywhere. You should fish Rossa, Ferrer or out as far as 4 mile. You should be able to load up in any of those spots. Remember no Halibuts they are closed.
Pretty sure you still can't keep the wild ones on the outside, but double check to make sure, I could be wrong

Pretty sure you still can't keep the wild ones on the outside, but double check to make sure, I could be wrong
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/PN/2011/25-nootka-co.pdf
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/PN/2011/25-nootka-co.pdf

Your right bushwackin. Offshore is open to 4 hatchery marked a day as of Sept. 01/2011. Here's the links for Coho retention in Nootka waters. I'm hoping to get there myself later this week. Good luck Jim.

eman, I had a feeling you could have been another one of those F-uped Hawks fans like that other F-UPED crazy nut fan that is on this site.

Heading to Nootka today to slay the Coho and hope to get into a few springs. It's time to get my own fish for the year.

Fished outside off Maquinna point, many different spots inside yesterday. No Coho to be found. Lots of real small Springs. Lots of whale action and a great day to be out there on the water.

ive been there recently and all through last year when construction of the lodge was happening, i know many ppl who moor their boats there for the season, as like you said, the road access is a deffinate bonus, id rather not get into a pissing match either, like i said, to each their own, im about a 25-30 minute drive from the place so its not like i dont have quick access to get there,, and im sorry, but i can show you what 5 stars is next time ya come through town, actually 6 stars, there is NOWHERE around here that even comes close to 5 stars, different strokes for different folks.....holmes*

Just to spice it up a little "holmes" the question I asked you was "when were you last there" and you said last year under construction and that you live 25-30 min away and that you can show me a 6 star place........great..... but you never really answered my question. 5 stars or 6 stars in Gold River????? what are we talking about ...........food places? I'm talking about the whole thing, the place, the staff, the meals, the price, the extra help, the extra going out of their way to help you out, etc, etc. Maybe the question I should have asked you was "When was the last time you stayed there?
As far as knowing people who moor their boats there............so do I. They have never said anything bad about them. And I wish "I" was about 25-30 min from them but as it works out, I'm about 9.5-10 hrs from them and around $500.00 (return) a trip ferry wise.

During construction???? yes we were there last year also at that time, a 5 star place then................no way but that was then and we are talking about now and don't forget, I said getting close to a 5 star resort not that is was a 5 star resort, but close to it.

I watch many of the fishing shows on TV........hey we like fishing......and last Sunday on B.C. Sportfishing, with Mark Pendlington they had an episode of "Nootka Sound Tyees" , you can see it at:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/mark_pendlington/index.html#watch

Maybe you should get a hold of Mark and let him know there are no 5 star places in Nootka Sound as he thinks there are from his show.

Yes, I know all these fishing shows are money grabbers and I only watch them to see what is going on.............but I believe my thoughts and Mark's more that I believe yours, since you can't seem to back up anything and only give your opinion........................peace fellow fisherman.

Dennis

I believe when he refers to a five or six he is likely referring to the Lodge at Gold River...it is a notch up when referring to accommodations by star ratings.

No.. most of us are fished out for the interm.. we need to occupy ourselves in other ways right now.. a good "punch up" is always entertaining. Do continue..:)

MULE, if you would like me to continue in person im all for it, i dont shitcan on ppls business unless its warranted....holmes*

holmes, first off as I've told you I really don't want to get into a pissing match on here, but since I sorta spooked your ego to bring this reply up..........we are on.

You are probably a little more up to date on salmon fishing than I when it comes to how/and who/and what to use.............but I notice that you also seem to learn from this list also.

As far as the comment of: "im NOT going to come on the public part and marginalize myself or anyone else by shitcanning on a certain business, i know where and where i would NOT stay, stay wherever the F*CK ya want, but its a double edged sword, if you reccomend a place and someone has a ****** time, well how will anyone ever have any confidence in the integrity of what ya have to say ever again, opinions on the internet are a fine line, im EXTREMELY careful of who and where i reccomend ppl to stay, AND DEFFINATELY EAT,"

"im NOT going to come on the public part and marginalize myself or anyone else by shitcanning on a certain business

But you have already done that and not explaining what/why you said what you did?

"DEFFINATELY EAT"........... I would probably agree since you are a cook/chef.........I'm not, but as I said it's the whole deal...........not the food only.

Life is a double edged sword.............. 65+ years have taught me that............you are not telling me any thing new, like most of your posts.

And for a few others on hear like:

Red Sled who said " This is gonna be great"................read on

This from "bushwacker" who has 8 posts and finds it so compelling that he/she had to reply with this: " It sure would be nice if we could talk about actual fishing again"

And the better reply from Eco-TERRORIST who said " Why would you want to talk about fishing on a fishing forum" and that was his/her first post.

Not side tracking the issue "holmes" but I usually put in 2300 to 2500 hundred hours a year at my job, I get up at anywhere from 2:00 to 4:00am and don't usually get home until 1:00 to 8:00pm and tomorrow morning is a 2:30am...........so will continue.........maybe tomorrow..............or the next day.

Still waiting to hear why you think Moutcha Bay is not a 5 star (or close to it) Resort?????..................all I've hear and the others on this forum is, you say it's not................why isn't it?????

Dennis

All I can say is "WOW"!....pissing match...hmmm??...It seems to have gone a bit beyond that....but not my bag to get into them anyway....regardless, here is my two cents worth.

We stayed at Moutcha last year during construction and again this year the first week of September. Last year was definitely a bit of a gong show, but this year was much better.

Other than one fellow at the "resort" who was sometimes a bit “grumpy” and a guide that seemed to mock us a bit when we asked a million questions, the majority of the folks were excellent; super friendly and quite helpful.

We were camping, but did eat a couple times from the restaurant when the wifey was tired of cooking, and I would suggest some of it was excellent, and some was just OK.

We actually did meet Paul, and other than being a bit reserved, we did chat with him on and off a bit, and my impression was that he was an OK fellow (same goes for Gebron (SP?)). I am aware that Paul is ‘merican, and perhaps that is a bit of a sore point for some.

Regardless, as far as I am aware, it is one of only two drive-to places in the Sound, and because I have dogs, boating to one of the lodges is just not a possibility. As for the other place (assuming it is Cougar Creek) there is no way I am gonna drive with all my **** to a place to find it full and deal with that. At least with Moutcha I can make a reservation and be sure I have a place to camp and moor my boat.

With that said, here is my actual fishing report. There were TONS of fish in the bay, mostly “rubber boots” as you guys call them, with coho mixed in as well. We did try for them, but decided to pass on that once we found out most fish were being “flossed” and the fact that damn, them darkies are fugly!

So, we went fishless for the first day in the bay, and some of the other closer inside spots, but then decided to run out to the lighthouse. This was in the afternoon, and it was pretty lumpy, so did not spend much time there and got skunked once again. Knowing that the fishing in the Sound is generally much better in the morning, we got up early and ran out to the lighthouse for first light the next day. UREKA!!....into fish right off the bat, and kept at her until my 8 yo son started getting pukey.

Anyway, spent the next four mornings at the lighthouse (with the boy doped on a bit of gravol) and got into between 6 and 10 coho each day within a couple hours of fishing. We knew we were too late for any of the big springs, but that is what happens when work controls your vacation time (sucks!). Nothing too big on the coho front, but one came in at about 15 lbs……

In the afternoons, we checked crab and prawn traps (got a feed of each) which entertained the boy immensely. He also fished the dock by himself (he is too small for the big iron just yet) for “bullheads” for a couple hours each day and had a blast.

We also went to Friendly Cove and had a GREAT time chatting with Daryl and seeing his brother’s carvings, and generally just wandering around (increadible beach!!). BTW, with respect to Paul and the organization(s) he runs, we were informed by Daryl that they were going to build a house for his Bro for some of the carving work that was done for the resort (which by the way was IMHO was incredible). In my mind, that is a pretty stand-up thing to do. As for the cove, that was a SUPER cool experience for my whole family, and we certainly got a sense of why it is called “Friendly”.

Finally, we had a little added excitement one afternoon when the earth quake hit. WOW, was that ever a cool experience; certainly cannot imagine what that would be like at a higher Richter rating and for an extended period of time, like those poor buggers in Japan experienced.

With all that said, we are going back next year to Mouthca, hopefully during prime time for the big fish, and unless someone wants to drop me a PM (hint hint Holmes) with guidance to where I can go with my family, camper, dogs, and trailered boat, I am all ears!!

PS...as for 5 star.....sorry, I don't know how the rating system works, but from my experience (which is limited as far as fishing lodges go) I can't see Moutcha getting anywhere near a 5...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back