Nootka or Quatsino

Golfn1

Forgive me I'm a NOOBIE!!

We are staying in Campbell River for 2.5 weeks late July early August. I have huge learning curve as I fish mostly walleye in Ont.

I'm looking to draw on the knowledge of the forum to point us to 'as calm as possible' waters for salmon, halibut, ling cod, rock fish etc.. fishing. We are considering hiring an experienced guide(30 years) from Port Alice and fishing inside and outside if possible. I'm bringing wife and child and I'm the least seaworthy of the bunch!

Nootka seems more developed, more resorts, more boats than Quatsino...is this true ?

Are Nootka and Quatsino equal quality fisheries ? I have been reading this forum and it seems they both do well at times.

The day, July 27th, we have tenatively picked for Quatsino(leaving dock at 5:30am) out of PA has a low tide of 1.6' at 7am and high of 10.2' at 1:30pm, is this a sufficient or good flooding tide to fish or is outgoing better ? I'm trying to put the odds in our favour as much as possible

We are not looking for HUGE fish, just something to keep us occupied for 7-8 hours before the winds pick up.

Forgive my ignorance if this post is misplaced.

Any help is greatly Appreciated!!

Forgive me I'm a NOOBIE!!

We are staying in Campbell River for 2.5 weeks late July early August. I have huge learning curve as I fish mostly walleye in Ont.

I'm looking to draw on the knowledge of the forum to point us to 'as calm as possible' waters for salmon, halibut, ling cod, rock fish etc.. fishing. We are considering hiring an experienced guide(30 years) from Port Alice and fishing inside and outside if possible. I'm bringing wife and child and I'm the least seaworthy of the bunch!

Nootka seems more developed, more resorts, more boats than Quatsino...is this true ?

Are Nootka and Quatsino equal quality fisheries ? I have been reading this forum and it seems they both do well at times.

The day, July 27th, we have tenatively picked for Quatsino(leaving dock at 5:30am) out of PA has a low tide of 1.6' at 7am and high of 10.2' at 1:30pm, is this a sufficient or good flooding tide to fish or is outgoing better ? I'm trying to put the odds in our favour as much as possible

We are not looking for HUGE fish, just something to keep us occupied for 7-8 hours before the winds pick up.

Forgive my ignorance if this post is misplaced.

Any help is greatly Appreciated!!
There are lots of guides and resorts both places-that is not really the question. The question is the weather-since you have picked a very specific day 27th of July and you get very seasick Quatsino may be tough if the weather is bad. They are really 2 different fisheries-Nootka is a terminal fishery with lots of salmon homing in on the sound and as such has lots of areas to fish inside -also lots of fishermen. It has an excellent off-shore fishery for bottom fish and transiting salmon. Winter Harbour is farther north-weather is a little more questionable-it also is a terminal fishery but not to the extent that Nootka is. There can be good inside fishing but it is not as predictable as Nootka however a good guide should be able to handle that. Outside 'it can be as benign as a lake or just impossible! It is very big water-exciting to fish-usually lots of fish of all types relatively close to shore (5 miles) Make sure you know how big a boat your guide has and is it reasonable to do what you want. You say you are staying in Campbell river-it is almost a 3 hour drive to Port Alice only an hour to gold river or 11/2 to Tahsis or Moutcha bay. I love both places and fish both.That time of year the tides are what they are-a guide should be able to get you on fish regardless but being as how you get seasick, have a wife and child with you and are only fishing one specific day-I think I would choose Nootka as the best chance to meet your goals.

Thank you Spring Fever for responding so quickly !

That makes a lot of sense! We are not tied to one specific day. I glanced at the Winter harbour tide chart and that was the first day the water seemed to move again(Probably the new moon). I was thinking before August 1st only because I read the season closes for chinook(not sure if it's true or not).

We could go any day! We were going to overnight at least a day or two if we went to PA then fish, then back to CR. We would do the same for Nootka

The shorter drive to Tahsis makes more sense to maybe do a day trip. Moucha Bay is pretty much booked up that time of year...I spoke to Andrew Rippengdale and he told me that it would be difficult finding a guide that time of year as they are pretty busy.

I'm trying to get our itinerary sorted out the next couple of days as good guides are booking up quickly.

Any guides or any other advice is greatly appreciated !

Tightlines

In Quatsino as of aug 1st you cannot keep a spring salmon above cliffe point-if you have bad weather and you are after springs to retain it will severely limit your sheltered fishing area,s

Might want to checkout Hali Hunter who fishes out of Esparanza Inlet, guys name is Sean Fredriksen 250 703 3664, check out his Facebook page don,t think you will have any regrets. Good luck j.j.

Golfn1 if Fish on John says he can accommodate you; it would be a good choice. Nice area-John and Cathy are great hosts and John knows what he's about. I think your whole family would have a blast there and you should be able to meet your goals.

Thanks everyone for the quick and sound advice ! Have communicated with John and will get something nailed down shortly!!

Back