Nootka - Critter Cove

You think they could update their web page. How can you call it a fishing report with no report? The Jack and Jill derby was two weeks ago.

I was out in the southern mouth of Nootka with a buddy on his boat and 2 kids on Canada Day. Lots of pinks near the kelp beds, several nice wild coho (released) in the same area. Caught just about something of everything except springs and sockeye.
One kid didn't like the swells so we came in to 3 Bay Cove and only got some doggies - they were big though!
The word was that Friendly Cove and further along on that side was producing a few springs.
We sampled the tackle box well, varied depth and speeds etc but just no springs.
We saw several charters fishing hali in the middle of the outer sound but didn't hear their results.
There are humpbacks feeding in the sound so you'll have a good time!

quote:Originally posted by The Dominator
You think they could update their web page. How can you call it a fishing report with no report?

My guess is that they are smokin' busy remember they run http://www.tomiclures.com as well.

JohnMat04.jpg

Any news? I here it's slow? How's offshore? Any bottom fish?

Heading up Sunday and hard to find any reports!

Thanks SWC

I just got back from Nootka. Two of us fished from 6/29 to 7/2. We did well, largest was 35, 26, 20, 17 and a couple around 10-12lbs and coho. The fish are on the outside still, did not here much happening on the inside. Plenty of chicken halibut we limited two days all 20-25lbs. For what its worth, DFO has enforced the area and is checking most if not all boats. Critter was busy and the only place that has fuel right now. Good luck.

Hey Fishtech, you getting your butts offshore? I'm heading up next Thursday for a long weekend and was planning on targeting butts. Any idea how Bajo is doing?

Kramer, we were SW of Bajo. I did talk with a guide in Gold river who said that they were doing well on hali up to 70lbs outside of Bajo.

What depth are you looking for out at bajo?
We've usually fished farther out at the red
can buoy. Also heard a couple miles out from
Maquinna is good for the halis too. We'll be
up there on the 14th.

You guys are killing me! I will be in Nootka on July 20th. The reports just get the juices flowing.

As for Critter, I know they get busy and I love the staff there. The website is probably low on the priority. But, us loyal patrons love to keep an eye on the board with the anticipation of what's to come. It truly a marketing strategy they are missing.

We are heading up to Critter August 7th for a week, love that place. Last year we nabbed a few good nookers up to 30lbs. Great vacation even when the fishing is so so. I too am anxious for a report, I have a feeling Critter will have an update sometime today as their website has been down.

D

My group will be heading up to Critter Cove mid July. It is easily the best trip of the season. We may have to try the halibut thing this year since our normal trip was cancelled. Anyone care to share some coordinates for this area?

Fishtech, how big were the coho? Was the weather getting warmer yet?

quote:Originally posted by dman

Fishtech, how big were the coho? Was the weather getting warmer yet?
I just noticed, on Critter's web site under 2006 fish weight's, they now have the 2007 weight's posted FYI.

They are not known for keep their page up to date. The girls in the office do the work and they have a satellite internet connection which is not fast. I don't think it high on the priority list.

I think what they are missing is that all of "customers" love drooling over the board in anticipation of what we can expect. I think it's a huge marketing opportunity. But what do I know. When your booked for the year....who needs a web update.

The Dom

Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but we fished out of Critter on Wednesday and Thursday. Ran out to Bajo on Wednesday, put in a serious effort for Hali's. Caught a few nice Yelloweye's, and lost a really nice Hali. Tried trolling a bit for Salmon, but nada. The cleaning table was noticably devoid of Salmon with the exception of one Coho, mostly bottom fish but we did not see any Hali's there either. Thursday was too windy, so we trolled around the light, saw one 20 odd lb'er get caught amongst all the boats. Nothing inside as of yet. There was maybe a dozen boats at Critter, and about the same number of vehicles at the Gold River launch.

As for all the speculation of updating the boards. If I was running the show, I'd certainly find it hard to advertise that the fishing was slow. You'll notice that they stopped publishing dates, only the month in which they were caught. We all want to hit it when it is smoking hot, that leaves them with what a six week season at best. Still a bit early but sure to pick up.

Heading up this Thursday for a few days. I think we're pretty dialed in on the springs, halis (weather/wind permitting) and prawns but are there any crab up there? I've heard from a couple folks that say the sea otters get em all. Never had much success on the dungies up that way.

Just got back from Nootka N. , 10 Springs to 27#, 3 Coho to maybe 8#, 8 Hali, biggest 30 ish, saw a 140# on dock tho :))) who-hoo...

Hiway fish. weather good to marginal. All Springs fell to Chovie 8' behind a hotspot, purple haze heads. Good trip, fried to a crisp.

JD

Hi JD:

I am glad to hear that you did well there. Where did you fish? Inlet or out off shore? I am heading down there on 21st. Please let me know. Thank you.

J

I got a note from Critter today, weather and fishing have really been picking up the last couple days.

By Hiway -I'm guessing you were up by Esperanza?

Back