new zealand

Lucky you!!

Don't know about the NZ fly fishing, although always wanted to give it a go. A 5-7 weight 4 piece rod would pack well.

Try doing a web search for "NZ Fishing Forums"

You may end up with a helpful bunch like you found here.

Did a quick lookup myself, found http://www.flyshop.co.nz/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi for flyfishers. The forum even has a section for visiting fishermen.

Have a great trip and let us know how you make out.

Lucky you!!

Don't know about the NZ fly fishing, although always wanted to give it a go. A 5-7 weight 4 piece rod would pack well.

Try doing a web search for "NZ Fishing Forums"

You may end up with a helpful bunch like you found here.

Did a quick lookup myself, found http://www.flyshop.co.nz/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi for flyfishers. The forum even has a section for visiting fishermen.

Have a great trip and let us know how you make out.

Man-- have you got a treat coming!!! I was in NZ for three weeks last March. Incredible!!!!

Only problem, is that you will have too many options as to what to do. I only fished trout three days and the saltwater for three. I needed a month doing each!

I had the priviledge to fish the headwaters of the Whanganui River in a remote area (drains into lake Taupo) that sees very few rods each year. My wife and I stayed with the good people from GoBush in a high country cabin. What a treat!! Have a look at thier website here: http://www.gobush.co.nz/ Be sure to read the testimonials as well.

We were fishing 5 wt floating line with a #12 bead-head nymph, 10ft leader under a small wool strike incicator. Upstream presentation and fast retrieve. Biggest fish to the shore was a approx 5 lb bow.
I had another one about the same size bury his face in a log--

I also went for a "tramp" with a guide on a large feeder stream that runs into the southern end of Lake Taupo. I would like to say we slayed them-- but we didnt. Low pressure system came in that morning and the fish developed lockjaw. The two guys fishing with my guide the day before landed a mixture of bows and browns to 4 lbs. We were casting to fishing holding in tailouts. DOZENS of them. A few had to bust 4kg. But for us... Nada.... No matter great experience.

There a number of flyshops/guide outfitters in the town of Turangi at the south end of Lake Taupo. There were very helpful .. and the rates to have a guide take you up the river and show you the ropes for 1/2 day was about $70 Can. Well worth it. (and supply waders and all fishing gear)

Speaking of waders-- dont take any with felt soles. You may not get past the airport inspection! They are serious about not allowing invasive species into thier watershed. They even sterilized my hiking boots.

On the salt, I went out in Mercury Bay with a pal fishing snapper and kingies ( yellowtail) The type of jigging with huge "Broken Arrow" jigs that they do, is the most energetic and arm tiring fishing I have ever done.

You will have a ball. Wish I was going back with you!! :(

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:im going to new zealand for a month on the 27th

quote: i think its too far to only go for a week.

So what happened to the other three week???

Surely you are not going for only one week?????? [:0]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Flyrod?? fishing?? bring a backpack and put a canadian flag on it and try to bob chicks everynight while trying not to puke from alcohol O D ing

I went there to fish for a month and ended up staying a year. The locals call the South Island the "mainland" and rainbows "tourist fish"... Go South and fish for the monster browns! The Mataura is killer and accessible but I enjoyed a little creek called the Mimihau, sleeping in a small pig hunter's cabin with penciled in fishermen's grafiti dating back nearly 100 years. The best water and fish was the Karamea... a long hike of fifteen miles in. Casting for the big 10 + lb. browns was hard as the pesky 3-4 lb. little fish would sweep out and grab the fly first, get hooked and the big ones would shy away. The whole country is packed with National Parks and Forrest Service Huts with bunks, woodstoves and split, stacked firewood (Free). No need to pack a tent. Bring bug dope for the sandfies. Fish 10 - 12 ft. leaders, use a 5-7 wt. rod, drab brown flies (tiny size 14 to way smaller). The Clutha was excellent and lake Wanaka too. I only fished lake Wahkiriti on the North Island, a fish pulled my rod out of the boat into the lake.... which I dove for the next day and got back. All waterfront in New Zealand is public land for three chains length, so you can legally walk and fish anywhere, on any farmland. Get to know the locals, they'll house and feed you and show you where to fish. Avoid the crowds, go remote.

Satisfaction: 23' Aluminum Thunderjet with Ford 460 salmon fishing the Columbia River

YO!!! Youngsteelheader. Its good manners to say THANK YOU to fishermen that try to help you...... Damn kids these days. In da good old days if you didnt mind your manners, it was good for another week of slopping the pigs [:eek:)]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

sorry man worked 14 hour days this week and fished the a westcoast river all weekend. thankx for the help and by the way this damn kid got 8 slabs this weekend, so dont start that young punk stuff with me

IMG]

I fish for large browns with either a 6 or 9 weight depending on the lines, flies and water. With streamer patterns I prefer the heavier stick. Especially when I know I will be hooking into a 6-10lb fish. For delicate slot type fishing including nymphing, emergers and terrestrials you will definitely benifit from the 4-6 weight. You have to also look at the size of water. A light weight set up is great for a small creek and delicate presentation. You can easily land a 10 lb fish in low flow conditions on a #5 rig. Put that same fish though in a large west coast river and you will never see that fish again on anything less than a 9 weight.

Hi there YoungSteelheader
I'm a trout fisherman in New Zealand (Hamilton, Waikato, North Island) and would be happy to help you out with a few tips if you still need it.

The fly rod size depends on where you will be fishing, what size/weight flies, and the size of fish likely to be encountered.
For example, I use:
#5 rod for dry fly & light nymphs on small streams/ small fish.
#6/7 rod for med/heavier weighted nymphs on larger streams
#8/9 rod for really heavy bombs and nymphs, or wetlining / windy weather, on large rivers and lakes. (ie Winter Rainbow runs in the Tongariro etc)

If you are here over Feb / March its a great time to cast a dry fly to sighted fish. They can be fussy though, so it pays to have a good selection of flies. Trout are taking Cicadas right now, however I have had a few small local fish reject them - and take a small Mayfly imitation instead.

The river mouths flowing into the Rotorua and Taupo Lakes are also a good spot at this time of the year. As the lake water temperatures increase, large schools of trout congregate in the cooler water at the mouths - so the fishing can be fantastic.
I landed my best ever fish (10 pound Brown)on a smelt pattern at one of these locations.

Here are a few more websites for you to check out:
http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/
http://nzfishing.com/
http://www.sportinglife-turangi.co.nz/pages/fishing.htm

Let me know if you have any more questions, could also make contact when you are over here if that helps.
I will be travelling through Canada (BC & Yukon) and Alaska from April to July this year, so will also be keen to learn a bit about your local fishing. I'm really looking forward to trying out some Salmon fishing.

So where will you be fishing while you are in NZ?

Very nice fish eh!!![^]

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

Back