New Year ling/hali opening???

Some very good points have been discussed in this thread, and lots of great ideas. But what I see is a lack of organization on a united front, and that is what governments and bodies of power rely upon to maintain their own "control".

Forgive my ignorance on this one, What is SFAB?? I do not know what this is, and what do they do for the disconnected sport fisherpeople? It sounds, by reference as though it is a (volunteer?) fishing council?? It is my ignorance on this in itself, that brought this thought to mind.

What we need is a Salt-Water Sport Fishing Council (since we like acronyms) SWSFC to represent the Salt Water Sport Fishing group. Again, frogive my ignorance if something like this already exists, but if it does then we need to make it a commonplace name to ALL fishermen. We All know that we need boat licences, fishing licences etc... we also all need to know if there is a council that collectively stands up for our rights and priveledges to fish. To do this we need to organize!!!

We could all become members of the said council for a yearly fee ( I don't think that $20-30 per license holder is out of the question). This would get us all together into a group so that the council could educate us as to what they actually fight for on our behalf, keep us up to date on current fishing conservation issues, where and when meetings are and what they are concerning (and how the outcomes could affect us), when and where volunteer work is needed. In general it would put all of the information that we all need to pay attention to in order to maintain our fisheries and have real input in make proactive change, instead of just letting the DFO do it for us. (WE ALL CAN SEE WHAT THAT IS GOING TO DO FOR US:mad:). So let's all get involved in any way that we can.

I don't think that it would be all that hard to organize with all of the retailers that sell products to the Sport Fishing Market, to get involved in selling the memberships and signing up all the sport fishing liscense holders that come into thier stores to purchase liscences and gear. It would after all be in their best intrest to have the Sport fishing industry last so that they can keep selling products to all of us. I am sure that most of them would also be willing to contribute to a well run and organized council that fights to maintain the sport fishing industry.

As for the people that would run the council, it does sound like there is already a lot of very "fishing smart people" that are currently working at the issues we need addressed, but it sounds like they need SUPPORT from the individuals like you and me. So let's get united, get involved, and make the changes necessary to keep our sport fishing going. I've got $40 bucks in my pocket that I would put toward something like this.

(How much do we spend on coffee, cigs, booze, lotto tickets, FISHING:p, etc... in a year? We ALL can afford to support an organization like this, we need to!).

That's my two cents.:)
Jay.

SFAB/Sport Fishing Advisory Board

Thank you derby and vetteman, I will look them up to see how I can contribute to do my part in return for enjoying our sport here on the BCWC.

chris73, I agree with you, most of the Canadian population are very easy going and to some degree complacent. We ALL need to contribute some effort and take part. It is a simple and basic moral responsibility that we all must bear. In order to make it easier for everyone to understand that they should (or have to) contribute, we need to make these organizations like SFAB and Sport Fishing Institute or as I suggested a single organization, more accessable, advertised, talked about, so that there is no excuse for any sport fisherperson to not know about them. You still won't get all of the lookers, talkers, and wonderers to get up and do something, but you may get more of them. Plus it may inspire more of the Leaders, Doers and Makers to also get involved, because they would know where to go and what they could contribute. I know that it is not as easy as it sounds on paper, but if more of us do not get involved, we will only really have ourselves to blame in the end.

i wish someone or a group would take the dfo to court to see if there numbers would stand up. and to see if its even legal for them to do what they do to sport-fishermen.My estimation based on nothing factual says we are under our "quota by 70,000 lbs.

dfo = bad science.

Yea all we need is a Lawyer who likes to fish !maybe do a probono or a swap for a bottom fishing trip ( get that lawyer & bottom fishing LMAO) cheers Sammy

maybe do a probono or a swap for a bottom fishing trip

I dont think you have any idea just how much a courtcase would cost or how much lawers charge now do you????

So.... can someone tell me... what has the SFI done for me? As far as I'm concerned the SFAB carries more clout (which unfortunately is still not very much) and involves the common fisherman more so then SFI.
Other than a little fancy propaganda I can't say I have seen anything that the SFI has done for me as far as supporting my right to sportfish. For those in the know, please correct me and site examples.

Need to under stand the Process- SFAB is made up of Area Chairs of the SFAC and members or Directors of groups such as SFI/BCFDF/ BCWF- All elected to rep each group at ther SFAB. In theis case SFAB -South Coast

And further to what Derby said-- you should realize that the SFAB does NOT function as a lobby group. It is the official ADVISORY body that provides recommendations to DFO and provides feedback on thier proposals.

HOWEVER, the various components of the SFAB, SFI, BCWF, BCFDF, Independant anglers etc. CAN lobby the DFO and the Minister directly. And there is nothing stopping any other group from lobbying as well.

As far as "what has the SFAB done for me" --- actually quite a lot. The SFI has been very progressive in providing stats to DFO that show where the REAL value is , when considering recreational and commercial fishing. They also have the cointo take trips back to Ottawa to deal directly the mandarins that are behind a lot of the BS that we are being fed by Ottawa. (The BCWF has done this as well). And it doesnt matter that one group or sector puts more or less time and effort into the lobbying-- we all need to work together if we want our grandkids to enjoy fishing as we have.

Something is in the works to get everyone on the same page in the next couple weeks.
For those of you that have not taken a look -Please go to the SFI -Sport fishing Institute of British Columbia
web page-www.sportfishing.bc.ca

Take a look- become a member- ask them what you can do-These people have been working very hard on your behalf and more than ever need your support.

Curious derby, are these fundraisers typically in Vancouver? It wouldn't seem that logical to me to host it over there when apparently halibut is one of the hot topics that will be discussed. Vancouver is not exactly a halibut mecca now, and not even much of a salmon mecca. It kind of takes away most of your sport fishing interest group unless we are willing to take a minimum 1 day off work. Pretty much $500 minimum out of pocket when you factor that and all your expenses.

Regardless - is anyone here attending? I'd assume at least you can give us feedback as to how it went over there and if anything new comes out of it.

Curious derby, are these fundraisers typically in Vancouver? It wouldn't seem that logical to me to host it over there when apparently halibut is one of the hot topics that will be discussed. Vancouver is not exactly a halibut mecca now, and not even much of a salmon mecca. It kind of takes away most of your sport fishing interest group unless we are willing to take a minimum 1 day off work. Pretty much $500 minimum out of pocket when you factor that and all your expenses.

Regardless - is anyone here attending? I'd assume at least you can give us feedback as to how it went over there and if anything new comes out of it.

The main SFI office in Vancouver and I believe a majority of the people attending live in Vancouver.There is something in the works to do something in Vancouver next Spring -more details to come in the new year.There are a fair amount of VCI directors that walk amoung the island communties that will be attending including myself. Will be happy to let you know how it goes :)

The main SFI office in Vancouver and I believe a majority of the people attending live in Vancouver.There is something in the works to do something in Vancouver next Spring -more details to come in the new year.There are a fair amount of VCI directors that walk amoung the island communties that will be attending including myself. Will be happy to let you know how it goes :)

thanks derby...u mean Victoria next spring? Update of the upcoming Vancouver event would be great! Thanks much.

I believe there will be some sort of Dinner event in that neighbourhood next spring- as for the halibut thing that will be coming shortly :)

hey, and just like that, DC Reid does put in a good article today about the meeting and SFAB, and what it is, etc etc etc Love to see him post in the spring explaining the true injustice of the 88/12 prior to the meeting (assuming we haven't got anywhere by then). Education is a good thing.

Back