New Year ling/hali opening???

Sorry all indications are for an even shorter hali season in 2011 under the present 88-12 system. The overall Canadian tack may be slightly smaller than 2010, we have 0 money left now to lease quota from the commies (spent it all in 2010 to prolong the season to Oct 18th) and we still exceeded out quota by 71,000. We have to pay that back in 2011. So in 2010 we started with around 900,000 lbs, we bought 125,000 and exceeded our quota by 71,000 for a total March 1st to Oct 18th catch of 1,096,000 lbs. Next year we may get 900,000 lbs then subtract the 71,000 lbs we owe for a total 2011 catch of 829,000 lbs. Experts are saying that if we open March 1st with a 1 and 1 limit we will close sometime in August.

The commies are allowed to over fish or under fish by 10% of their seasonal tack and either pay back or catch in the following year. If they under caught this year they will want next. Agree it is all BS but until we get it changed we are stuck with it.

holmes: of course you can do what pleases you but don't get caught !

We all need to fight this injustice until a workable solution has been found. But it takes more than just venting on SFBC forums.

this sounds a bit off base to me. if you don't catch your TAC those fish are gone at the end of the season. next IPHC harvest quota is posted for the coming season but that does not get incremented by what TAC was not harvested, it is an estimation of the biomass available for harvest in the current year. how is it justified that the commercials can simply add in what they say they left from the last season??? i could see the rest of the participants in the IPHC allocation process start to demand more based on leftovers. get set, this could get to be an interesting showdown with CA, OR, WA and AK.

I'm just curious why DFO would change "until further notice" to a set date if the opening wasn't going to happen. Dunno!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 88/12 quota is BS.

So is the ratio of sports fishermen who do nothing to those sports fishermen who do attend meetings, get informed on the issues, and write letters.

How many days have you counted over 100 boats fishing in the Sooke area? The JDF Derby sells over 700 tickets. Last night's SFAB meeting in Langford had about 60 people attend. Some sessions up Island have had two people show up. Very few full time charter operators showed up. And some of the comments made last night indicate a serious problem with too much second hand mis-information going around.

C Bos and his crew are doing an excellent job representing the Sports Fishery. They are doing everything possible to protect the sports side of fishing by attending meeting after meeting while a lot of people stay home and stay silent. It's a thankless volunteer job representing the sports fishery when no one seems to care enough to show up. Especially when the indigenous and the commercial sectors that are taking more than their fair share are well funded, well represented and seem to have a lot of support.

Before the Sports Fishery gets shut down: Clue in. Support the cause.

Unfortunately Doug, APATHY is the Greatest Single Weapon working against the Recreational Sector. DFO and MOE know this, count on it, and very effectively use it to "manage" this Sector as they see fit. Far too many of the Good Ones have given up in downright DISGUST over this very issue, compounding the problem.

I simply do not know what it takes to get "our" Community of Anglers up off their lazy asses and contribute. FAR too many are content to let others fight the battles, and simply suggest that whatever the outcome, there could have never been another. That is rather far from reality, but until we form a Collective and United front, we are fated to end up with whatever "management" decides to shove down our throats.

Sad really... :(
Nog

Unfortunately Doug, APATHY is the Greatest Single Weapon working against the Recreational Sector. DFO and MOE know this, count on it, and very effectively use it to "manage" this Sector as they see fit. Far too many of the Good Ones have given up in downright DISGUST over this very issue, compounding the problem.

I simply do not know what it takes to get "our" Community of Anglers up off their lazy asses and contribute. FAR too many are content to let others fight the battles, and simply suggest that whatever the outcome, there could have never been another. That is rather far from reality, but until we form a Collective and United front, we are fated to end up with whatever "management" decides to shove down our throats.

Sad really... :(
Nog

I couldn't agree more.The average fisherman talks a lot but that's where it ends. Very little action.We had 19 people at the SFAC meeting in Nanaimo last week. That included a couple of guys from DFO and a number of guides. The average Joe Fisherman was noticably absent yet most of the guys that I know claim that they really care but they just can't fit in a meeting or two a year.They ask me to let them know what's said.Maybe they do care but I have my doubts.
It is sad.

Dave

I started a thread about who you support. It got seven replies before it disappeared. I have driven an hour and a half to get to meetings in Port Alberni .I can't be everywhere and support every club. I want to put money and effort into this but who should it be.
Everyone who has ever bought a SALT WATER SPORT license should put a few more dollars into an organization that can lobby for your your rights

I now know how they came up with the 88/12% split

12% of the fisherman are supporting the SFAB and helping to change the system
88% of the fisherman just fish and are letting other deal with the issue.

I'm sure support will go up once fishing is closed or limited to only a few months but at that time it will be too late.

totally hear you Doug...I wasn't extremely disappointed with the turnout, but I thought we could have shown much more support than we did. While many of the JDF derby type fisherman may not of even known there was a meeting because it isn't readily advertised, there was no excuse for anyone on this forum that weren't already out bagging a dear or living south of the malahat. Damn shame. I am actually wondering for next spring when the real crunch meeting hits if it wouldn't be worthwhile to put an ad in the TC sports section to advertise the meeting (we all chip in $10?). You want DFO to notice? 500 people jammed in the conference room and lined all up and down the hallway (even if they don't get to hear the meeting) might actually show we care. Sadly enough, Joe from DFO was surprised by what he called a 'big' turnout on Wednesday, imagine 10x that number???

Agree with Ken

history shows that numbers will never attend these meetings , may never change , maybe if they shut fishing down for a whole season , it will awaken the monster .
With all due respect , it sounds like the Sporty's that stand up for our allocation and show up to these meetings , have a financial interest in this sector , one way or another , fare enough , don't think your fighting for the sporty's is not appreciated . Do your Charter customers all show up to these meetings , do all your lodge guests attend them , judging by hearing the $hytty turnouts , I'd say not , are ya bitter at them to ?
Volunteers that work there asses off , are also hugely appreciated , but , again , it's gotta be hard waken up to keep fighting a losing battle with no reel financial assistance
So , lets not all get p'd at the ones that don't attend , most live hours away , time off work , $$$$ to get there , during the week , not really understand what is being discussed , good luck , it is what it is !
yada yada yada

Ken hit it on the head ,start an organization that all of us SFBC forum members can work with , all pitch in a few bucks , spread the word to all that are not on forums and computers etc... ( Most are not ) Work as a group , not South vs West , North , whatever , get sum of these yanks involved too : ) ( there were ALOT this year).. $ 10 a head ,per license , that could help organize a few punches...
I'm not sure who would grab the bull by the horns , and get this rolling .
Again , all due respect , perhaps someone (s) that a shutdown, or short season , would greatly be affected by the worse ,

MTB... just tryin to do sumthin different , it's the same all crap every year...
Money Talks ...

I started a thread about who you support. It got seven replies before it disappeared. I have driven an hour and a half to get to meetings in Port Alberni .I can't be everywhere and support every club. I want to put money and effort into this but who should it be.
Everyone who has ever bought a SALT WATER SPORT license should put a few more dollars into an organization that can lobby for your your rights

I'm sure support will go up once fishing is closed or limited to only a few months but at that time it will be too late.

i would not hold your breath on the premise. we had a 12 day halibut season in 2010. lots of the ususal BB complaints but no one taking a stand with WDFW. i spent about 2 weeks going back and forth with first the salmon managers and then the halibut group regarding their statistical analysis and hence the BS seasons and bag limits. the distribution list for that discussion went to about 80 folks, interesting that the WDFW folks expanded that distribution, and included the director and all the commissioners. result - nada, nothing, same'oh, business as usual.

it's time to recognize once and for all that the sport sector has no voice and all of this is for the benefit of commercial interests. when the indians kill the last fish you can rest assured it will be the sport anglers fault as, after all, they are totally conservation minded and it's everyone elses fault.

political clout, which costs lots of bucks, may help but in our neck of the woods we have the iniatitive process which puts issues like this before the voting public. that is a tough road to travel, however, and also requires bucks up which the sport community has a hard time dealing with. sorry folks, this battle is one without an end in sight.

Fog, I disagree - while sure there are several charter operators (no where near as many as there should be been), marina rep's, gear suppliers at these meetings, I would say a large % is made up of old timers in tin boats that just want to fish...people that care about the resource, not just their business. I know several others that don't have a financial interest in it and went. I went, I don't run a charter, I just love fishing and don't want to see the opportunity disappear for myself, and my son, and my kids kids. I take (not much mind you), but I also give by attending, writing, volunteering 100's of hours a year to raise funds for the hatchery + volunteer as well. Few others here could say the same.

500 people next meeting - lets see that happen and then DFO may notice.

I agree with Deewar we need more people to attend. Local fisherman and specially charter operators.

80% of my clients come from outside of Canada and 90% of them have never fished for salmon or halis before and will never fish for them again, so they don't care. The other 20% of my clients are Canadians and 50% of them have never fished for salmon or halis so do you think they care. They all buy their fish from the store and will the store fish supplies be effected, NO.

Where do I send my $10 to start the process.

What can I say, I did not make it for this one as this flu is kicking the whole familys butt!

However myself and many others have made numerous appearances in the past to show our support. I have to be honest though, it is starting to feel as though we are shooting each other in the foot by seperating out user groups as Guides, Charters etc. etc. We are all recreational fisherpeople who want the same thing. Dont insinuate! Saying more charters should have showed, is negativly discouraging. It`s not all about the business. I know only 3 years ago it was only Guides and local Tackle Store owners at these meetings. It is great to see others getting involved with the help of
Mr. Boss, lets keep the trend.

Hats off to Chris Boss and others, for placing calls and reminders out to all of us and his tireless efforts.

Deewar,

you may be pleasently surprised by how many hours many people on here dedicate to restoration, rehab and hatchery work. They are a modest bunch who would not brag about their efforts even if the sky was falling.

Deewar,

you may be pleasently surprised by how many hours many people on here dedicate to restoration, rehab and hatchery work. They are a modest bunch who would not brag about their efforts even if the sky was falling.

Oh I realize there are many out there working behind the scenes and do appreciate that. My comments aren't directed at many here, but it is pretty frustrating when we go around in circles every year complaining and out of the 1000+ regular fisherman in greater vic, only 60 attend a twice a year meeting where our voices and concerns can be relayed directly to DFO. Regardless of that and moving on, I would love seeing standing room and out the hall standing in the spring as I do believe DFO would actually pay attention then. That would be true impact and a true voice that they'd have trouble ignoring (even if it would be a gong show meeting to run!).

Back