New Vancouver Salt Thread: GAME ON!

Never mind all the jazz I started about the critters.

Anyone on this board catch the 25 at Porteau or the 23 at Grace yesterday? Sounds like the Squamish or net pen fish are in.

Maybe time to head up to Howe Sound for them.

quote:Originally posted by Even-tide
Busted

LOL!![8D]

00yellowfin9qp.jpg

was out early this morning out of Lions Bay, dropped traps nearby and headed out to Hutt and Tunstall, cold November,? um June morning out there and after about an hour the winds picked up and we headed for the lee end of Hutt. Didnt get a sniff today seen 5 other boats well after morning come to same area to get out of winds. Couldnt find the fish today and strong morning winds kept us from looking for them

Had a buddy out that doesnt get to fish much
We went by hutt around 7:00 this morning, went to Tunstall where we hit a 25" in messy chop.
headed to Grace, first tack hit a 27lb freight train, female red spring so clean awesome.
flogged it for a while then the wind kicked up, pulled the gear headed to H.I.T.W.
first tack hit one off bills point , feisty 16lb red female hatchery.
great day
P6070901.jpg

Thanks for posting those reports guys. What size boats were you in ? It was real windy in Tsawwassen.

18'
launched at sunset, stayed in Howe sound, lots of wood in the water.
from Tunstall the water out at the slash looked brutal.

quote:Originally posted by cammer

was out early this morning out of Lions Bay, dropped traps nearby and headed out to Hutt and Tunstall, cold November,? um June morning out there and after about an hour the winds picked up and we headed for the lee end of Hutt. Didnt get a sniff today seen 5 other boats well after morning come to same area to get out of winds. Couldnt find the fish today and strong morning winds kept us from looking for them
Hey Cam, We were at Hutt yesterday as well. Didn't see you there but we got there about 930. got 1 at 18 1/2 lbs.[8D]YEAH BABY, and missed three others. Very windy and tough to keep the boat straight, but we managed one on the first trip in the Striper. Nice to get blood on the boat on the maiden fising trip:D:D:D:D:D

quote:Originally posted by finaddict

Hey Cam, We were at Hutt yesterday as well. Didn't see you there but we got there about 930. got 1 at 18 1/2 lbs.[8D]YEAH BABY, and missed three others. Very windy and tough to keep the boat straight, but we managed one on the first trip in the Striper. Nice to get blood on the boat on the maiden fising trip:D:D:D:D:D

Was that you at the Kits Launch at Low Tide yesterday?
I had just pulled into Burrard Civic. Saw your rig. Very Nice!

Hi guys!! I have been working in Duncan for the last 6 weeks and I was wondering about the local salt. You guys been picking up any fish?? Mortician, you seem to go out a often, how have you done lately? Cap Coho around?

quote:Originally posted by Mortician

quote:Originally posted by finaddict

Was that you at the Kits Launch at Low Tide yesterday?
I had just pulled into Burrard Civic. Saw your rig. Very Nice!

Yeah that was me Mort. Thanks for the compliment. I must say I am very impressed with the boat. We went through that chop yesterday at about 17 - 20 knots with little discomfort. She's gonna be a lot of fun this summer. The low tide at Kits was a real bummer. we had to wait until almost 7 to pull her out.

We had a great day. It was my buddy's birthday so he got to handle the fish. And it was such a relief to get blood on the boat on the first trip. Now I now she's lucky ;)

quote:Originally posted by scoopy

Hi guys!! I have been working in Duncan for the last 6 weeks and I was wondering about the local salt. You guys been picking up any fish?? Mortician, you seem to go out a often, how have you done lately? Cap Coho around?

No Cap Cohoes yet it's too early, and if any do show up the river is running high enough they'll jet up river if they do show up. I know a fella up there and returns are supposed to suck for Cap Cohoes/Springs this year.

Salmon Rock, Grace, Hutt and various spots in Howe Sound have been producing ok over the last few days if you manage to put in a good effort (the weather is deterring some anglers) and if you get on the "spot"--you're in for good action. Several were caught yesterday. If you manage to hit the right area you could be in for some pretty decent action. Best result I heard of yesterday was a 3 fish day.

I know some guys who are on their way back from Thrasher and Thrasher is set to "explode" and there have been some decent moments over there. . They lost a derby winner in the high twenties/low thirties around a downrigger cable and enough "action" to keep things interesting.

Where exactly thrasher anyways? Is it reachable from Burrard civic in a 17' whaler?

Thanks

Fin, what size is the new striper and where did you find it? I'm considering one for next season. Thanks.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

quote:Originally posted by Striker

Where exactly thrasher anyways? Is it reachable from Burrard civic in a 17' whaler?

Thanks

Go west young man. It's on the other side of the Strait and I wouldn't be going over in your 17 unless you have good water there and back.

Thanks Mort, I won't make Thrasher in a campion 165!!! I will be working local waters hopefully next weekend, with some killer new spoons I am developing........I should hand a couple off to you to try out.

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

Fin, what size is the new striper and where did you find it? I'm considering one for next season. Thanks.
The striper is a 99 2300 WA. I found it in Southern California. The boat is in really good shape and what really sold me was how anal the previous owner was for maintenance. It made all the difference in the world to know how well the boat was maintained.

Cheers

We got a 27" hatchery Chinook hugging South Bowen this AM. Got beat up by the wind a little for it though. BTW great forum.