New to saltwater fishing Sidney, BC area - would really appreciate some pointers!

Sure-- but do you suggest that someone goes out fishing without knowing for sure that he is fishing legally? NEVER trust any information unless you have personally checked it out. And I might add, the same goes with accepting medical advice from a discussion forum.

Sure-- but do you suggest that someone goes out fishing without knowing for sure that he is fishing legally? NEVER trust any information unless you have personally checked it out. And I might add, the same goes with accepting medical advice from a discussion forum.

I will definitely give them a call to confirm before we head out in December. Thanks.

You cant take anything we tell you on this board about halibut seasons as gospel... because we dont know! It can shut down anytime DFO figures that we have taking our TAC. We "Think" it may stay open for a while longer, but its up to the angler to make damn sure if its open before you head out-----

As far as bait--- Costco and Superstore both sell 1 kg boxes of frozen whole squid.. awesome butt bait.

GREAT tip on the Costco squid, thank you. Do you use squid for halibut bait? Whats the best bait to use considering its December (I've heard herring, mackerel and not squid mentioned here). Thanks!

Halibut are around all year as far as I know.
This will be the first time in 3 or 4 years we are allowed to fish them in December so I don't have any past winter experience to draw from. It's a fishery that takes time and patience. unless somebody spoon feeds you techniques, spots and times (or youve got some great luck) expect to struggle on your first few trips.

It's the same as most other fishing you need to spend time on the water to learn what works, what doesn't and when/where you want to be. Like all fish they move around, follow prey, hunker in heavy currents etc. etc.

Maybe pick one target salmon or halibut might spread yourself too thin trying to learn both at once in a short amount of time.

I anticipate some hurdles and getting skunked is all part of it. Makes it more of a challenge and even more rewarding when you hookup, but given that we cant troll for salmon on our boat (still looking into the trolling valve), our best bet would be to target halibut and jig for someone when we see some bait balls or fish on the finder. If we jig exclusively, it's unlikely we'll get hooked up being first timers. I really appreciate all the info. What a great forum.

Squid-cured in salt or defrosted-is outstanding Halibut bait, I like it cured in salt for a few hours since it stays on the hook better.

Guys, so lets talk gear. Let's start with the halibut rods. We own three legacy Penn Senators that work ok (gears arent great but they work ok). Two are spooled with 250 yards of 40# Berkley Big Game mono, the third I am not sure about.

1) What size line do we need and how many yards?
2) Braid or mono?
3) What length rod do we need given a Grand Banks is pretty high off the water if you account for the railing that runs around the boat.
4) Whats better, a fast or a slow rod?
5) Any rod recommendations that wont break the bank?

Thanks!

1. 60-80lb braid is good for halibut
2. braid
3. 6' will do you fine
4. med-heavy
5. Berkley lightning rods are under $100

1. 60-80lb braid is good for halibut
2. braid
3. 6' will do you fine
4. med-heavy
5. Berkley lightning rods are under $100

Great info. Darn about the braid. I know my old Senators have plastic spools and arent built for braid. These reels are 20 years old. I wanted to try and avoid getting new gear but I suspect we may end up doing that over time. How many yards of line do you recommend? Thanks.

200-250 yards will work.
you can buy a haiibut rod/reel at Trotac or Outfitters for $150
not the best , but it will do.

200-250 yards will work.
you can buy a haiibut rod/reel at Trotac or Outfitters for $150
not the best , but it will do.

Great thanks. What about the salmon jigging rig? Any recommendations here? Do you guys use line counter reels? Also, what # braid do you use for salmon jigging? Thanks.

How much do you want to spend ? :)

HAHA. Isnt this the scariest part of the whole hobby? Acronym for BOAT? "Bring-out-another-thousand"........ But in all seriousness, I'd rather get the right stuff now and rather accumulate great gear over years vs buying cheap and buying twice. We'll try use what we already have an get the right stuff over time.

But one thing we can do now is try get one reel with line that can be used for salmon and halibut, and trolling if we ever get that sorted out? I wonder if this is possible?

1) What # test do you use for salmon jigging and braid/mono?
2) What # test do you use for salmon trolling and braid/mono?

Would it be possible to use 80# braid (the same stuff you recommended for halibut) for vertical jigging for salmon for example? Obviously an overkill for salmon and not ideal, but at least then we dont have to buy another reel with line for example. Would this work? Thanks.

the same test

you will find many different opinions here, but i run 25-30 lb mono
on a mooching reel paired with a 10.5' rod
I keep my salmon and Halibut gear separate

the same test

you will find many different opinions here, but i run 25-30 lb mono
on a mooching reel paired with a 10.5' rod
I keep my salmon and Halibut gear separate

Other than the fact that lighter tackle is more fun for salmon, any reason one shouldnt use halibut rig to jig for salmon?

I think you might find it difficult to keep pressure on a salmon when using a halibut rod and barbless hooks. This is one of the many things I learned this year. I found it much easier to keep a fish on once I switched from stiff 8ft rods to flexable 10.6ft rods. Now I would never go back and when I do try using those rods it feels like I'm fishing with a 2x4.

I think you might find it difficult to keep pressure on a salmon when using a halibut rod and barbless hooks. This is one of the many things I learned this year. I found it much easier to keep a fish on once I switched from stiff 8ft rods to flexable 10.6ft rods. Now I would never go back and when I do try using those rods it feels like I'm fishing with a 2x4.

This is a very good point. Thanks for the heads-up. I was planning on using Gamakatsu circle hooks for halibut (which can have barbs correct?), but for salmon, I remember they need to be barbless. What size Gamakatsu hooks do you recommend for halibut?

HAHA. Isnt this the scariest part of the whole hobby? Acronym for BOAT? "Bring-out-another-thousand"........ But in all seriousness, I'd rather get the right stuff now and rather accumulate great gear over years vs buying cheap and buying twice. We'll try use what we already have an get the right stuff over time.

But one thing we can do now is try get one reel with line that can be used for salmon and halibut, and trolling if we ever get that sorted out? I wonder if this is possible?

Would it be possible to use 80# braid (the same stuff you recommended for halibut) for vertical jigging for salmon for example? Obviously an overkill for salmon and not ideal, but at least then we dont have to buy another reel with line for example. Would this work? Thanks.

I now use Peetz reels for both hali and salmon, but generally swap to a different rod. I have 100# test braided line on there so that it holds in the downrigger clip. This is certainly overkill for salmon, but I don't feel that it makes it any less sporty, actually the contrary. The 6' or less mono leader can break just the same for the sport factor and since the braid has virtually no stretch, it is a hard line to the salmon, so it is actually putting more pressure on the leader. Having 100'+ of mono out there is like having a big bungee cord shock absorber, which seems less sporty to me....IMHO.

I now use Peetz reels for both hali and salmon, but generally swap to a different rod. I have 100# test braided line on there so that it holds in the downrigger clip. This is certainly overkill for salmon, but I don't feel that it makes it any less sporty, actually the contrary. The 6' or less mono leader can break just the same for the sport factor and since the braid has virtually no stretch, it is a hard line to the salmon, so it is actually putting more pressure on the leader. Having 100'+ of mono out there is like having a big bungee cord shock absorber, which seems less sporty to me....IMHO.

Yeah, it seems like with line diameters so thin these days with braid, it doesnt really take away from the "sporty feel" (not like when you use a 80# mono, that just feels off). But what does affect the sportyness IMO, is the rod's action. A slower rod is definitely more fun. These are all really good points. What conventional reels work on halibut rods that can be easily switched to salmon rods that both handle 80# braid? I like the Daiwa Saltist levelwinds (great crank rate of 46"), but I wonder if this type of reel would be to much for a salmon rod (it weighs 24oz)? Thanks!

I have 100# test braided line on there so that it holds in the downrigger clip.

By the way, doesnt trolling braid risk a snap off or pulling the hook, or tearing the hook etc. Mono has more stretch. It seems like mono is more popular for trolling. What do you think? What about braid for barbless hooks? More fish landed or less vs mono? Thanks.

Back