New to saltwater fishing Sidney, BC area - would really appreciate some pointers!

google "Halibut fishing" you'll find tons of info,
5-7' med-heavy rod/reel comb. with a spreader bar and up to 1 kg of weight
to take your bait to the bottom and keep it there.

Hi so I watched some vids on halibut rigs and it's new to me, but looks simple enough. I did have a question though. If you're drifting, how does one keep the stern facing the direction the current is going so your lines can be pushed out behind the boat (not under it). Thats simple while trolling or just popping the engines out of idle, but seeing as though our min speed is 5 knots, we have to drift exclusively. Is there an easy way to keep the nose of the boat into the current (I'm assuming with some sort of chute?). Thanks!

If you're drifting, how does one keep the stern facing the direction the current is going so your lines can be pushed out behind the boat (not under it).

you will have to read up the current tables for your area.
not a good idea to drift fish with currents over 1.5 knots
as you'll lose too much gear to snag ups
(at least thats my experience)

for an extra $400-500 you can buy a proper anchoring system
which will enable you to stay in one spot with your bow facing
into the current.

you will have to read up the current tables for your area.
not a good idea to drift fish with currents over 1.5 knots
as you'll lose too much gear to snag ups
(at least thats my experience)

for an extra $400-500 you can buy a proper anchoring system
which will enable you to stay in one spot with your bow facing
into the current.

The boat does have a proper anchor so that's one thing we can do. My only worry is that if we anchor up in the middle of nowhere because we have no idea where the hots spots are, we'll get skunked! But anchoring up, and mooching for salmon or putting out some halibut rigs could be a lot of fun. And we can jig buzz bombs on the side if we see bait balls etc. So in short, this would be plan B. I'm going to figure out the trolling valve question and if it's possible to mount downriggers on the back of a Grand Banks given the railings. But this would be my plan A.

Also, if we anchor up, do we still need to use the halibut spreader rig in the video, or can we just use a standard sinker & hook combo, like a fish finder rig (egg sinker on line with swivel then Gamakatsu hook), or a three way rig (three way swivel + bank sinker + Gamakatsu hook)?

I assume banana sinkers work for mooching when you're drifting correct (so you dont get snagged), so we wont need these sinkers if we're anchored correct? Dont salmon and halibut also take the same chunk bait? I'm guessing salmon will take half a herring vs a full one for example, but still the same stuff right?

Because I'm thinking we anchor, set up 4 rods, two of them right on the bottom with heavier weights (fish finder rig/egg sinkers) and a full herring on each hook with a squid skirt, and the other two rods we put slightly off the bottom and use a three way swivel rig with lighter weights and half herring chunks on hooks.

We can then watch the fish finder for bait balls and start to jig needlefish if we see any action.

Does this sound like a plan? The only reason I ask about using egg/banks sinkers over the halibut spreader and banana sinker rigs is that we already own the other stuff. Would this work or are there better ways to get hooked up!? Thanks.

Salmon are not too enthusiastic about chunk bait.

Your other gear will work for Halibut if they're around Yes.

Generally, halibut fishing on anchor rules out salmon fishing at the same time...
you need to use the spreader bar to keep the weight and the bait separated.
Otherwise when you lower it the weight and hooks/bait will tangle up.
so use spreader's on all 4 rods when on anchor.
you may want to jig at a different depth to see if there are any salmon around.

Salmon are not too enthusiastic about chunk bait.

Your other gear will work for Halibut if they're around Yes.

Someone mentioned that no one uses live bait anymore? How come? If salmon arent into chunks, why not pop a live herring on using a bridle rig and send it down with a three way? Thanks again for all the help. This is great.

you can't get it, unless you catch it yourself

Got it. Well you never know. Worth throwing a Sabiki in there, particularly if you have a chum bucket. That reminds me, I assuming chumming is legal in saltwater (I know its illegal in freshwater), correct? Thanks for all the info guys.

Sorry I have so many questions. So much to learn! I also wanted to ask what bait we should use in December for halibut (herring, mackerel etc) and where we should buy it. Where's the cheapest place from Victoria to Sidney where one can buy bait in bulk (for chumming etc). Thanks!

Live bait fell from favour when Dogfish populations exploded and Salmon plummeted back in the 80's making trolling much more attractive-covering a lot of ground trolling means the chances of a Salmon seeing your offering are that much greater.

Sorry I have so many questions. So much to learn! I also wanted to ask what bait we should use in December for halibut (herring, mackerel etc) and where we should buy it. Where's the cheapest place from Victoria to Sidney where one can buy bait in bulk (for chumming etc). Thanks!

Thanks! Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Generally, halibut fishing on anchor rules out salmon fishing at the same time...
you need to use the spreader bar to keep the weight and the bait separated.
Otherwise when you lower it the weight and hooks/bait will tangle up.
so use spreader's on all 4 rods when on anchor.
you may want to jig at a different depth to see if there are any salmon around.

Check this out. These guys dont use a spreader bar:

[kEkcSggjSU8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEkcSggjSU8

Nobody really chums here. Not like you see on wicked tuna. Chunk bait, live bait are not terms we use here. We buy frozen whole anchovies/herring to troll for salmon and use herring or other whole fish for halibut. Halibut will take a chunk bait but your not tossing chunks over the side of the boat to draw them in you put your hooks through it and send it to the bottom then wait.

Feel free to not use a spreader bar. Not all guys here do. It's a tried and true method but if you've got other ideas go ahead do your east coast thing out here no reason why it won't work.

If you really want chunk bait Walmart has some of the cheapest bait I know its in the food section but they sell mackerel there cheaper then the tackle stores. Aside from that look up a seafood distributed and see what they can sell you. If you buy from the tackle shops you'll pay a premium. None of them are set up to sell bulk bait for chumming because it isn't done here. But maybe you'll start a new trend.

Nobody really chums here. Not like you see on wicked tuna. Chunk bait, live bait are not terms we use here. We buy frozen whole anchovies/herring to troll for salmon and use herring or other whole fish for halibut. Halibut will take a chunk bait but your not tossing chunks over the side of the boat to draw them in you put your hooks through it and send it to the bottom then wait.

Feel free to not use a spreader bar. Not all guys here do. It's a tried and true method but if you've got other ideas go ahead do your east coast thing out here no reason why it won't work.

If you really want chunk bait Walmart has some of the cheapest bait I know its in the food section but they sell mackerel there cheaper then the tackle stores. Aside from that look up a seafood distributed and see what they can sell you. If you buy from the tackle shops you'll pay a premium. None of them are set up to sell bulk bait for chumming because it isn't done here. But maybe you'll start a new trend.

Good tip on Walmart. I will check it out. Thank you. So yeah, from what you are saying, I can use herring or mackerel in December and we may have a good shot at a halibut (i.e. either bait will be fine). Also, when is halibut peak season and is December a good time, or is it a long shot? Thanks!

Halibut are around all year as far as I know.
This will be the first time in 3 or 4 years we are allowed to fish them in December so I don't have any past winter experience to draw from. It's a fishery that takes time and patience. unless somebody spoon feeds you techniques, spots and times (or youve got some great luck) expect to struggle on your first few trips.

It's the same as most other fishing you need to spend time on the water to learn what works, what doesn't and when/where you want to be. Like all fish they move around, follow prey, hunker in heavy currents etc. etc.

Maybe pick one target salmon or halibut might spread yourself too thin trying to learn both at once in a short amount of time.

Also, on the live bait thing....
In the 80s you could get live bait at most fuels docks.It was never really that far away and that's how we used to fish. It would be just as effective now as it was then under the right conditions - timing, finding structure etc, but its catching the herring and keeping them alive which is the trick. Not a lot of boats are equipped with a bait well these days. If you don't have a well you have to constantly change the water to keep them from dying. We came up with a pretty good system - big plastic olive jar with holes drilled and a nice screw on lid that is tied off when fishing and sits in a 5 gal bucket when running. Still have to change the water every 20 mins or so tho when running or if your jug isn't in the water.

You cant take anything we tell you on this board about halibut seasons as gospel... because we dont know! It can shut down anytime DFO figures that we have taking our TAC. We "Think" it may stay open for a while longer, but its up to the angler to make damn sure if its open before you head out-----

As far as bait--- Costco and Superstore both sell 1 kg boxes of frozen whole squid.. awesome butt bait.

You cant take anything we tell you on this board about halibut seasons as gospel... because we dont know! It can shut down anytime DFO figures that we have taking our TAC. We "Think" it may stay open for a while longer, but its up to the angler to make damn sure if its open before you head out-----

As far as bait--- Costco and Superstore both sell 1 kg boxes of frozen whole squid.. awesome butt bait.

Uh, well this year we DO know as they already stated its open for the rest of the year and there is no way they change that decision when we are around 220k under quota by end of Sept and only 'supposedly' catch a 1000 or 2 pounds October to December.

Fish away.

Back